Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

Zhivko Nikolov

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Hello John. When I copy a video file from SD to PC and open from PC- the problem exists, duration 00m-1s.
I need to rename the file, just add a few letters in the file name and this solves the issue. You can see the screenshot in post #794
I can rename the file directly on the SD card, no need to copy on PC - this also fixes duration and shows correct 3:00.
And when I rename the file again to its original file name - the duration again is shown as 00m-1s. On PC and on SD card.
May be something related to current VIOFO firmware I am using and 128GB card.
Hello @traveler John,
I've continued my tests and found that disabling GPS CACHE option FIXES the duration problem immediately.

1613922588946.png

Now I can read all video files directly from my SD card and time duration is correct!

The loading time increases, but duration fix is worth it.
No need to copy files on the PC and rename them.

Zhivko Nikolov

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
FYI, mine is enabled and no issue.

Good find though.
I pushed the test on this direction when I realized that renaming the file forces Dashcam Viewer to read its data again when I load the renamed file.
And when I restore the file's original file name - when loading Dashcam Viewer sees this original name inside GPS cache and duration is shown again as 00m-1.
So for my PC - GPS cache is not working (or building) OK, only John could find what is the possible problem.

OP
traveler

traveler

App Developer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119V2, SG9665GC, SG9663DCPro + many more
So for my PC - GPS cache is not working (or building) OK, only John could find what is the possible problem.

OK, that explains it. What happened was that the cache became "poisoned" when the videos were loaded for the first time. Somehow, the video durations, which are cached, were stored in the cache as 00m-1s. That means every time you tried to reload the video file, Dashcam Viewer went to the cache instead of reprocessing the video. By changing the filename of the video, you created a new cache entry, which had the correct data.

So the fix for you would be to:

1. Open Preferences (Advanced) window
2. Click the Clear Cache button. This will delete all the cache files allowing you to start over again. Alternatively, you could click Reveal Cache and find the cache file names corresponding to the problem files, and delete them individually.
3. Enable caching by clicking the Enabled checkbox.

The cache is a good thing because it speeds up loading of GPS data by 100x or more (depending on the camera). The problem is that once bad data gets into the cache, it must be deleted or else it keeps popping up.

John

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Cant remember if it is there, but maybe a FAQ self help in the program where the cure for these issues could be listed.

First item should be.

1: Q : My camera / cameras are are not displayed properly.
A: your camera are probably not supported yet, please make a couple of consequtive files availebel for DL, and mail DL link to XXX@XXXXX.com

mcaf123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
SG9663DC
Hi John. Currently running the SG DCV at v3.2.8 and run into the following problem - when I try and export a movie clip the whole program just freezes and then the icon in the task bar just starts flashing but the export window never actually opens.
I'm in Windows 10.
Any help please?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Tom899

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Tom899 I just tried switch between Fill and Maintain aspect modes with the latest version of Dashcam Viewer and had no issues (Win10 i7 ASUS laptop).

I suggest trying the hard reset procedure (it tends to fix strange issues):
  1. Quit Dashcam Viewer
  2. Hold down the Shift key
  3. Start Dashcam Viewer
  4. You will see a dialog box come up asking if you’d like to Reset All Settings. Click “Yes”.

Note that you'll need to re-enter your registration code after you click Yes.

John
John, Nvidia came out with a new driver Version 461.72 on 02/25/2021. My "Fill and Maintain" now works!
Tom

OP
traveler

traveler

App Developer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119V2, SG9665GC, SG9663DCPro + many more
Hi John. Currently running the SG DCV at v3.2.8 and run into the following problem - when I try and export a movie clip the whole program just freezes and then the icon in the task bar just starts flashing but the export window never actually opens.
I'm in Windows 10.
Any help please?

My guess is that the Export Video window is actually appearing, but it's offscreen somewhere. Please try the hard reset procedure to clear the window positions:
  1. Quit Dashcam Viewer
  3. Start Dashcam Viewer
  4. You will see a dialog box come up asking if you’d like to Reset All Settings. Click “Yes”.

In Dashcam Viewer v3.4.2 and later I added a simple shortcut to force a window to appear in the center of the main monitor:

1. Hold down the Shift key
  2. Click the Export Video toolbar button
  3. You should see the Export Video window now

This trick works for all ancillary windows too, BTW (Map, Graphs, etc).

John

mcaf123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
SG9663DC
My guess is that the Export Video window is actually appearing, but it's offscreen somewhere. Please try the hard reset procedure to clear the window positions:
  1. Quit Dashcam Viewer
  3. Start Dashcam Viewer

In Dashcam Viewer v3.4.2 and later I added a simple shortcut to force a window to appear in the center of the main monitor:

1. Hold down the Shift key
  2. Click the Export Video toolbar button
  3. You should see the Export Video window now

This trick works for all ancillary windows too, BTW (Map, Graphs, etc).

John
Worked a treat - thanks!