Dashcam Viewer software for Mac: beta testers wanted

WOW Great @traveler, Sad is I use 10.6.8.
Well then, I need to backup my data from my old macbook white to clean install for Maverick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work John!

Wish I could participate, but no Mac. If you could put this in the cloud, then we could all use it from our Win, Mac, Android, or iPhone.

What is the reason for the heading chart feature? Can't see how I'd use that since it also has the Google maps plotting feature.

Looks like you have a Leaf EV, got in mind any charts useful for energy conservation/battery range?

DATAKAM has ALSO started development of Mac version of player! See below
(I thought DATAKAM was RegistratorViewer?)

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Jon wrote:
Latest beta still works great. A few people in the forum have asked if you plan on porting RegistratorViewer to work in Mac OS X. Is that a remote possibility? (or no way, too difficult) For now I told them to run Windows in VMware Fusion. ~Jon

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Vadim wrote:
Current project cannot be compiled for MAC, because a lot of direct Windows API using.
For MAC need new project, started from empty. I don't plan to do this.

By the way, datakam has started development of Mac version of player too.
It looks like someone took up the challenge to write Dashcam Player for Mac OS X.
Check this out.http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...tion-in-development-beta-testers-wanted.3889/

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 7:32 AM, Vadim wrote:

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Jon wrote:
Wow that's great news. Do you need any Beta testers? How far along are things so far?

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Vadim wrote:
There is simple version now, but they are making developing.
http://www.datakam.ru/download/DatakamPlayer/DatakamPlayerMac.zip

DATAKAM has also started development of Mac version of player! See below
(I thought DATAKAM was RegistratorViewer?)

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Jon wrote:
Latest beta still works great. A few people in the forum have asked if you plan on porting RegistratorViewer to work in Mac OS X. Is that a remote possibility? (or no way, too difficult) For now I told them to run Windows in VMware Fusion. ~Jon

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Vadim wrote:
Current project cannot be compiled for MAC, because a lot of direct Windows API using.
For MAC need new project, started from empty. I don't plan to do this.

It looks like someone took up the challenge to write Dashcam Player for Mac OS X.
Check this out.http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...tion-in-development-beta-testers-wanted.3889/

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 7:32 AM, Vadim wrote:

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Jon wrote:
Wow that's great news. Do you need any Beta testers? How far along are things so far?

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Vadim wrote:
There is simple version now, but they are making developing.
http://www.datakam.ru/download/DatakamPlayer/DatakamPlayerMac.zip

More info on RegistratorViewer/DATAKAM (new MAC version)

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Jon wrote:
Interesting. I thought DATAKAM was RegistratorViewer. Why does RegistratorViewer say DATAKAM at the top?

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Vadim wrote:
RegistratorViewer now developing under Datakam support, so program was renamed to DatakamPlayer.
And now datakam supports (money I mean) developing of Mac version.

@traveler

Hello, I tested today.

The program has great potential!

You can put all the windows in a single window, it's possible? Like a RegistratorViewer ?

I am looking for Bugs...

Difference between KPH/MPH in video x App, is a bug ? more or less 5KPH
In Brazil we use KMH/KPH

Great job !!

I am happy, because I dont use VMware/Bootcamp :D

Thank you.

Wow...the Youtube video looks great.

I'm also on a Mac. I don't have a dashcam with GPS, but willing to beta test if you need more testers.

Happy to test if you need any more testers.

Added a few more features and removed a bug based on suggestions and findings from folks in this thread (thanks everyone!). I will contact the beta army ;-) @avidfanof stuff, @HunkaBurninLove (great handle!) Appreciate the offer, but I have enough helpful testers keeping me busy!

BTW, are there other camera formats I should support? Sounds like Blackvue would be a candidate? Would need samples to work with, including complete directory structure.

v1.0.0b2 – Jan 19, 2014

New Features:
- [in beta] Added support for movie and GPS logs produced by some Guard Trak cameras (the format supplied by jokiin in an earlier post) . These cameras produce movie files of the form “MOV_DDDD.MOV” or “MOV_DDDD.MP4” and GPS logs of the form “MOV_DDDD.nmea”. This feature has only been tested with sample files and is therefore listed as ‘beta’.
- Auto-detect between Mini 0801 and Guard Trak formats upon loading of movie directory
- Removed user-preference for speed “Input Units” as it was found to be unnecessary.
- Added timezone offset bias. This allows a movie deck that was created with the camera set to one timezone to be played correctly on a computer set to another timezone.
- Added clock bias to fine-tune the synchronicity between the timestamp and the viewer indicated time. This was a testing feature and may not be necessary in practice. May be removed in future version.

Bug Fixes:
- Fixed bug with units in “DashCam Speed” graph window. Bug was due to false assumption that internal units were mph when in fact they were knots.
- Better synchronization between speed reported in Data view and the other views.

Thank you for your work on this much needed and desired software. I run Windows 7 under Parallels VM, which works fine, but this seems MUCH preferable!

Nice work John!

Wish I could participate, but no Mac. If you could put this in the cloud, then we could all use it from our Win, Mac, Android, or iPhone.

Looks like you have a Leaf EV, got in mind any charts useful for energy conservation/battery range?

Lol, good eye, borland-- yes, I'm driving a Leaf EV in the video. Nissan has a website and iPhone app which allows Leaf owners to monitor their energy usage. There are also 3rd party Android apps for monitoring battery metrics via ODB II port. One could export the time-dependent pos/vel data from Dashcam Viewer (using GPX or CSV export) and mash it up with the other app's data in Excel or other software.

What is the reason for the heading chart feature? Can't see how I'd use that since it also has the Google maps plotting feature.

I agree it's not the most useful plot but it does show how many changes in direction the driver has made. Somebody smarter than me might come up with an interesting use for it. Maybe plotting changes in bearing versus velocity would be interesting?? Dunno

I'm using BlackVue dashcam and running 10.7.5 - would love to try your app, if you decide to make it a universal viewer, as jokiin and others suggested.
BlackVue creates three files: .mp4, .gps and .3gf with video, GPS and G-force data respectively.

@DashCamDave, if you could send me sample files I will see what I can do. I need to know the exact structure for how the files are saved on the SD card. Having example movie and GPS files, exactly as they are saved on the SD card, will help.

@traveler

You can put all the windows in a single window, it's possible? Like a RegistratorViewer ?

I originally started with a dockable windowing environment but I found this to be very un-Mac-like in practice.

Here's some RAW video footage from the Vicovation WF1. It doesn't have GPS but would still be nice to have seemless video playback.
(auto combining detected clips etc)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8y37kwao6o026qc/2qBchPmk5O (still uploading now)
Yes, you can play your movies in sequence even if there is no GPS data. I downloaded your five MP4 movie files and they played just fine.

Back