Does it exist : Dash Cam with Bluetooth that sends Video to Cell ?

Minix

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hy ,

i wish to buy a dash cam that works this way : just a lens with the processor ,
no sd card on it , instead a bluetooth that sends the data to a cell phone wich
do the recording of the video .

Advantage : tiny size , less pieces to break , more privacy , stealth = cop cannot seize
the sd to proof wrong doing on the road.

Does it exist ?
Thank you.

Thanks a lot ....i willl wait till science advances :)

Science has been there for a long time.
You might be the entire market though so I wouldn't expect much in the way of economy of scale :)

bluetooth seems not fast enough for high resolution video data transmission?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Countour action cams have bluetooth steaming, but i do not know if they steam in the 24-25 fps needed for seamless footage.
If i was forced to take a guess i would say no, as i think the feature is only used to line up the camera, or in the case of YES it would proberly be at a lower resolution.

Otherwise as JazJon say there is dashcams out there with WIFI, but i am not sure if those are meant for off-dashcam storage.

I dont know about you guys but i use the BT in my phone for hands free, otherwise i would be just like all the other ppl who drive around talking in handheld cell phones.

WIFI in my phone seem to drain a lot of power too, and if the phone allso had to handle a video steam + saving it + keeping display on all the time, i am quite sure it will need to be hooked up to "life support" all the time.

There are no dash cams that currently feature Bluetooth streaming and we may or may not eventually see cameras that have it but the technology does exist. It is achieved with a relatively new specification for Bluetooth called VDP which stands for Video Distribution Profile which defines how a Bluetooth enabled device streams video over Bluetooth wireless technology. See this link for a more thorough explanation.

In response to JazJon's question, "Why does it need to be bluetooth?", the answer is that Bluetooth may be more suited to the close range interior environment of a vehicle cabin when compared with WiFi and (as far as I know) requires less power.

Streaming live video reliably is really not that easy. That's why TV studios still use vans with satellite dishes. Our company actually met with an Israeli company yesterday (liveu.tv) that makes an interesting product for streaming via HDMI that bonds cellular channels to upload to the cloud and uses algorithms so almost no data loss occurs. Demo was impressive and the device is only 3 pounds. Only problem is the cost is high and the monthly data cost is exorbitant. We might be working on a non-dash cam related project with them though.

Hy ,

i wish to buy a dash cam that works this way : just a lens with the processor ,
no sd card on it , instead a bluetooth that sends the data to a cell phone wich
do the recording of the video .

Advantage : tiny size , less pieces to break , more privacy , stealth = cop cannot seize
the sd to proof wrong doing on the road.

Does it exist ?
Thank you.

Surely the cop can seize it - all you have done is move the memory from the SD card to your phone. He could steal your phone. The 'he wouldn't know about it' argument would diminish the more popular the item became.

Surely hidden guts solve the problem, ideally with the camera writing simultaneously to two memory devices, preferably in two locations (e.g. an SD card ejectable from the guts and another inside the guts, out of view). Of course, someone may steal the guts - in solving that, you increase the price which makes manufacturers less willing to risk making it.

I would prefer to have wifi so I can immediately back up an important video to my phone. I personally would not want to use my phone as the memory.

I dont mind which way the video is transferred to the phone ,
the idea is to avoid this situation :
english version :
http://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http://zone911.fm93.com/actualites/scenes-policieres/item/17053-un-motocycliste-re%C3%A7oit-une-contravention-de-1264$&act=url

french :

http://go.radardetectorforum.org/?id=15666X723079&xs=1&url=http://zone911.fm93.com/actualites/scenes-policieres/item/17053-un-motocycliste-re%C3%A7oit-une-contravention-de-1264$

Not that i do crazy thing on the road , just to avoid incriminating my-self in marginal
infraction i could do on the road.

The other solution is a dash cam that would include a crypting process , on site , for the recorded
video ....paranoid ....well surely a bit .....

Thanks all for your input.

Last edited:
The size required by the Micro SD Card is not important, so the camera size is not given because of the card slot.

If you want to secure the dashcam recordings you can think to a black Micro SD Card extension cable.
If you want to transfer wirelessly the video from the card when your smartphone is in the area of the dashcam you can think to PQI Air Card.

enjoy,
Mtz

I'm not sure is it good idea, my phone eats up battery fast enough without constant heavy bt transfer.

I am lucky I don't have your phone. My no name chinese quad core smartphone doesn't have a poor battery. :p

Back to the wireless transfer: even it is Wi-Fi or bluetooth, if the transfer will be only for the duration of driving the car, will the wireless transfer speed be so fast to transfer the videos during the time spent by me in the car? How many minutes of videos will be transferred in that 15 minutes I am driving? If for example my dashcam will create 300MB for each 3 minutes clip (like Mobius), can the wireless standard to transfer 1.5GB of data in 15 minutes? And how many time I need to remain in the car after engine stops until the latest video is transferred?

enjoy,
Mtz

This news article is from 2007.

Attachments

• Sierra-DriveCam.pdf
    261 KB · Views: 12
This Game/Hunting Camera has built in GSM Network too
Poor 25fps though, and worse resolution if you enable sound recording

The size required by the Micro SD Card is not important, so the camera size is not given because of the card slot.

If you want to secure the dashcam recordings you can think to a black Micro SD Card extension cable.
If you want to transfer wirelessly the video from the card when your smartphone is in the area of the dashcam you can think to PQI Air Card.

enjoy,
Mtz
Thanks Mtz, they are cool gadgets! My wish is to collect all data in a similar way, each time a file is written to be able to grab it or a copy of it for use elsewhere. Looks like with an extension cable and the Air Card that it would be possible to collect the video files without touching the camera? I wonder if anyone has tried this yet? I basically want to archive all recordings before the looping/overwriting on the SD card, don't want to touch the SD card at all....

enjoy,
Mtz

That's not a bad idea, how does the PQI Air stack up against the Eye-Fi? http://www.eye.fi

https://www.google.com/search?q=pqi+air+vs+eye+fi

So far the main one I see is:

"One specific feature, however, makes the Air Card stand out. The feature that differentiates it from other WiFi memory cards on the market is the fact that no actual memory is built into the Air Card itself. Instead it has a slot into which you can insert a microSD card of your choice. If you’re someone who fills up cards quickly, that means you won’t have to buy a bunch of very expensive EyeFi cards, just one shell and as many relatively cheap microSD cards as your heart desires."

Back