Does what I want even exist!?

Badcop NoDoughnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello to all as I'm new here. As my statement says ... I currently own a drive proof 2 ch. cam with 4" touchscreen. I'm reall like this unit and the style of it but am ultimately looking for a something very similar along the lines of the 4" touchscreen with forward 1080 cam and secondary cam able to be placed anywhere inside vehicle facing internally or externally.
What I am trying to accomplish is basically what I have but want small cameras to be able to record A/V at night towards all 4sides facing outward. ( Crowded streets, any police encounters,etc.)
I currently have the secondary camera in my driver side dash facing towards window but wish to have all 4 sides covered. Is there ANY unit out there that could enable this you guys??? PLEASE DONT HESITATE to think outside of the box also . I know this sounds extreme but please, serious suggestions only would be appreciated as well as logical. Thank you EVERYONE for taking time to help in any way !!! Sincerely

I think a setup similar to what Google uses to map streets would work for you.

There are plenty of small mobile 4 channel DVR units, but most are low resolution and not worth much, the one i had allso died within 1 year of constant use.

There are allso some 4 x 1080p systems, but they too are not really worth the money you pay for them.

So you can do like i and others do, and thats install good 1080 cameras on all sides of the car, but they you have to go to each camera when you want to get footage off them. and having then synced up 100% can be a little problematic ( not least if its several different cameras )

The cameras i have are as follow.

Front : SG9665GC, and then 2 X Joovuu X cameras ( i am a factory tester for a fjew brands )
Right side : ( B pillea rear door Innovv C3 thats discontinued )
Rear window : Joovuu X cam
Left side ( top door frame ) Mobius B lens

WP_20160208_006_big_thumb.jpg

Innovv C3
m4_big_thumb.jpg

Mobius in the left side, the way its mounted is a little different now, its now as high up as can get in the same position.
m3_big_thumb.jpg

This is when the mobius was in the top of my rear window ( mounted on the frame of the hatch of my small 5 door hatchback )
The x camera in in the same place today, just mounted on a DIY spacer of metal and then using a neodynium magnet for quick release.
This position is covered by the rear wiper so pretty nice on those rainy days.
mobius2_big_thumb.jpg

Later this year / start next year you will see dual camera dashcams with 2 small remote cameras, 2 of those units will be perfect for a 4 sided setup.

As for dedicated 4 channel setups, i havent really seen anything thats worth mentioning.

Last edited:
This is the kind of footage i get off my cameras, the innovv C3 on the right is using a 90 degree FOV lens so not optimal.
OBS the focus on the left mounted mobius was not right that day, i have since tweaked it for a better result, thats what some times happen when you play with a lot of lenses on a camera.

Alternative you can use a headmounted camera that follow where you look, here i an using a x cam installed on the brim of my hat.

The Discontiniued innovv C3 allso had a thingie so you could use in on the head.
There are a fjew other simmilar cameras out there, panasonic have some for instance.

Kamkar,
Your info,suggestions,and time are much appreciated! I too had started to think along very similar lines as what you had suggested after the frustrated call for help I had put out. ( DVR 4ch.) And I was ALSO questioning the reliability and quality vs. the $$$ that would have to be put out for s setup worth a damn you know?
The one thing that seems to be most of the difficulty would be the actual main unit. The cameras choices and prices are numerous but as I had said in 1st post is that I am really quite fond of my 4" lcd touchscreen main unit. I REALLY hope that there is one like that , that I can still mount to windshield that would allow split screen and individual viewing alsoj that's nighttime a/v enabled. Any help/info from ANYONE/ANYWHERE would be great!! THANK YOU AGAIN for all your help past , present, future!!
Best regards,
Brian

Here is a video with my 4 channel system, but i am rambeling on in Danish here, but there are some menu shots and in the end some footage from 3 of the 4 cameras.

The cameras i used was all based on the Sony effio - e and effio - s cameras, okay for cctv use where things dont happen too fast, but for dashcam use not so good.
In the end i took the setup out of my car and ran it in my apartment for a year, i now have proper 1080p IP cameras instead.

You can allways hook up a reversing camera to that headunit, i have been thinking about that myself as a reversing camera is pretty cheap.

My China headunit now have a broken touch screen, but i think the headunit change back and forth on its own acccord when it detect a signal from the reversing camera.

The effio S front camera i had was pretty lighe sensetive, but trust me driving a car while looking at a small screen is a tall order ;)

Is some one made a good dashcam with a IR filter like a cctv camera, i would have no problem installing IR ermitters ( 940 nm ) where foglights would normally go on my little Suzuki car.
But all dashcams have a fixed IR cut filter on the lens, so they will never see any IR light or at best only very little of it.

The 1080p IP camera i have on my car turn the pitch dark back yard into day with its biuld in IR lights.

House out back have a visit by the police looking for drugs i assume.

Hell if you can afford it you can hook up a flir camera to that headunit, but again looking at a small screen is useless, but if we could get HUD like some high end cars,,, welll then i might start to rob little old ladies so i could afford a flir camera for my windscreen.

Or one of the monumental low light sensetive color cameras.

Thanks again Kamar! What would you suggest within these parameters of what I'm looking for.
The 4" main unit that I can attach to windshield just underneath the rear view mirror.( it's not so much for a main drivers visual aid,but for a big enough screen to control internal setups for all four cameras and to view real time or recordings easily) and 3 small cameras that that can see/hear as best real time life as possible ! I know that I ( we with your help possible) can accomplish this as best and least$$$ as possible my friend!! What out the box or pieced together setup would best work ?? Many thanks again kamkar!
Best Regards

I assume your screen only have 1 AV input so you can only connect 1 thing to it unless you use some form of switch to thange input signal.

I allso dont think the menus in the camera is viewable on the AV out signal, i only think they are visible on the camera screen ( if it have one )

The Jovuu X cameras i am testing on all have to be setup via a WIFI and a APP ( android or ios ) but they allso have a PC program that can do it.
And in the app you allso have a preview steam for setting up the camera, but this is allso a low resolytion steam, and since the x cam is based on the A7 chipset this means the steam is dalayed with some seconds.

The mobius can only be setup connected to a PC using a little GUI program, but thats not really a problem as you only need to set it up one time, and then maybe tweak it a little after you have previewed some footage and found the camera is a little off.
I dont have any probelms eyeballing non screen cameras, they after all have wide angle lenses, so not capturing most you want will need you to be at least blind.
Offcourse i am anal too so after discovering the camera is a fjew degres off, then i just give it a little twist the next time i go driving.

I am not quite sure about the screen and legallety here in Denmark at least, you are okay to have a NAV unit and phone running, but you are not allower to have a movie running on the screen of your headunit while driving.
This means i am proberly allso not allowed to have a movie running on the 7" tablet i use for NAV and at times allso the delayed preview steam of a X camera.
But in this understaffed country ( in regard to police ) i take my chances, i shouldent do so i know, but i never claimed to be a 100% standup guy, with my history i am a little soiled around the edges, but still okay to have in your house even with all your savings spread out over the dinner table.

The major issue i have with this 4 X 1 camera setup is i have to go to each camera if i want footage off them, and since they all use the damn small micro SD cards i cant be botheres with messing with those in my car, so i have the cameras installed so i can grab the whole camera and take it with me.
For that i use DIY mounts made with neodynium magnets and a little sheet metal bend in shape to space things out if needed.

Offcourse my main front camera the SG9665GC i have to take out the small SD card, it is detachable too on its quick release mount, but i can deal with that 1 camera, just have to make sure the car door is closed so i dont launch the little SD card out of it again.

The best bang for the buck and allso smallest foorprint is the little Mobius cameras, the only minus with them is they have a lipo battery as they are allso small action cameras, but if you are in a hotter part of the US you can get capasitors to replace the battery, i have done so with my mobius, cuz on the good summer days we can reach +30 deg C here, and in a good summer we can have like 2 - 3 weeks of that ( for the most spread out over the whole summer )

The mobius cameras is well proven over the years they been out, this allso mean they are not the best low light performers, but even compared to the best of those they are still so good the difference dont really matter.
Cuz best night performer ( the Sony IMX322 sensor ) still isent so good that you wont see a lot of motion blue and have to drive really damn slow to get a fairly crisp night footage.
Thats just the way things are now with the tech thats there for dashcam makera to use.
So driving thru a lit town at night a side mounted mobius will only capture a lot of motion blur while you are driving, but as soon as you are stopped things not moving much will be crisp, even a car passing you slowly while you are at speed will be good too.
Just dont expect to capture any licenceplates at night or at speed even on those dark grey days, current dashcam sensors simply are not good enuff for that yet.

I will grab some night footage off my mobius for you a little later when i go for a drive, then you can see for yourself.

In regard to daytime, then the mobius is perfect, with 80 km/h highway speeds here ( think thats the same as your guys 55 MPH ) the moobius will for the most get a good capture of the car going the other way at the same speed, even if its only in frame for 3-4-5 frames as it rush buy a fjew feet avay.

This pic is grabbed off some footage from the mobius, and the light was not perfect that day, but okay for a good capture.
Actually i dont know why its so good, cuz there wasent that much light that day as you can see in the pic.
death_in_rear_seat.jpg

This is a picture from mobius footage in the windscreen, driving on a lit road ( not lit up like some US roads and towns can be )
you can still see stuff allright but as you can see when dashcams use the slow night time exposure timings then the crispness of the pictures go out the window.
mobius1.jpg

I will have some daytime and night time video footag for you later.
Do you prefer to Dl the raw material ( 3 minute /350 MB files ) or is it okay with the lesser qualety of youtube ?
Either way is allright with me as i am on a high speed cable sonnection, so uploading a fjew Gigabytes is no problem at all.

The mobius cameras dont have a dedicated AV out plug, bus as they are used for FPV flying with quadcopters and RC planes they have AV out via the mini USB plug, but then you have to get a wire harness to use that.

Last edited:
Hello to all as I'm new here. As my statement says ... I currently own a drive proof 2 ch. cam with 4" touchscreen. I'm reall like this unit and the style of it but am ultimately looking for a something very similar along the lines of the 4" touchscreen with forward 1080 cam and secondary cam able to be placed anywhere inside vehicle facing internally or externally.
What I am trying to accomplish is basically what I have but want small cameras to be able to record A/V at night towards all 4sides facing outward. ( Crowded streets, any police encounters,etc.)
I currently have the secondary camera in my driver side dash facing towards window but wish to have all 4 sides covered. Is there ANY unit out there that could enable this you guys??? PLEASE DONT HESITATE to think outside of the box also . I know this sounds extreme but please, serious suggestions only would be appreciated as well as logical. Thank you EVERYONE for taking time to help in any way !!! Sincerely

I'm working on a product which will do what you are looking for. See my thread. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ud-connected-roof-mounted-smart-carcam.19212/

Please give me feedback there.

Cheers,
JG

I have put 3 mobius clips on Mega for you to download ( best as you will get unaltered raw footage, and not somthing youtubes computers have ruined )

Daytime in my home town of Randers.
https://mega.nz/#!vlIAmQBD!vDwEt7nQ-dUwT6sBxXa02_Wmtj7CWUti0bAjarYTKgc
Night time with the little street lighting we have here as we are so bloody green and treehuggin, parts of it same place where day footage is from.
https://mega.nz/#!H4JBnJgZ!AwP8_RkcYuqscbpeYVeiSPd0_M9egTi_4PSq8VfenvU
And finally a clip from the highway where i do around 80 km/h and so doo the pther cars passing by in the other direction.
https://mega.nz/#!6p4GVazC!l8_NdpSv1xbNO6arhStWyYZW3jcTcLWi5p3uazPUIio

Sorry about the dirty window, washed my car not long ago, but the damm dew in the morning and all the pollen going around make a mess.

Back