Does it exist : Dash Cam with Bluetooth that sends Video to Cell ?

@JazJon
That was the reason why I didn't wrote any word about Eye-Fi. PQI is better because supporting any Micro SD Card and not forced to buy what Eye-Fi wants.

@RichPB
1. The extension cable is just and adapter: to have the card in another place than inserted in the camera. On side of the cable is looking like an MicroSD card but is not a card is just a connector. On the other side of the cable is an adapter which can accept an MicroSD card or an SD Card. Maybe is better to use the one with SD Card at the other end because if you have an micro SD card you can use an MicroSD to SD Card adapter.
This extension is good if you are afraid if somebody will finally steal your dashcam to not steal also the SD Card with the recording because this card is in some well hidden and fixed place and the thief doesnțt have enough time to steal it too. For him the camera is important.
But also you can use this adapter for 2:
2. Watch some youtube videos about Wi-Fi SD Card to understand how it is working. But I remember the speed transfers are low.

Regarding the idea to have just something small on the windshield you must not forget that the small thing needs to be wired. So even we can have bluetooth or wireless in some camera we always need wires on the windshield.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is how I imagine the smallest cam on the windshield.
I am not a designer so please excuse the picture which is made from different internet pictures but I hope you will understand how can be done the smallest dashcam.

Joystick dashcam by Mtz.jpg

Of course it will have separate DVR.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
@JazJon
That was the reason why I didn't wrote any word about Eye-Fi. PQI is better because supporting any Micro SD Card and not forced to buy what Eye-Fi wants.

I agree, the mini 0801 for example doesn't like Class 10 cards, and is better off with the Samsung Class 6 card.

Someone else added though:

It looks like a good product, but it is missing one ciritcal feature that the Eyefi supports, and would be my main reason for getting one of these wifi cards. The Eyefi is capable of automatically transferring all new files on the card to a designated PC over a wireless network. The PQI seems to only support portable devices and not the PC. My main use would be to have the wifi card record as usual and at the end of the day when I pull into the garage, leave the camera on using a timer and let it automatically offload all new recordings to the PC. Basically a completely hands off system for automatic archiving. Maybe PQI will come up with a newer model or firmware upgrade that can support direct to PC transfers.

KuoH

nice logo ;)
Eagle eyes!
I had hopes to understand the principle, close the eyes and imagine, :cool: not to see my logo. That logo is there for the future (korean) company which will use my idea. At least to not forget from where was coming.

enjoy,
Mtz

Nice idea, but I have a few suggestions to hopefully make it more versatile. First, have an option to use a suction cup instead of adhesive for those who either don't like to have it permanently mounted or have other reasons for quick removal. Second, because most car (not truck) windshields are sloped, there will be some set back, which will also require a larger barrel to prevent vignetting. Third, have pan, tilt and rotate ability in case the camera is not mounted perfectly straight up. Lastly, the ability to lock the position after fine tuning.

KuoH

This is how I imagine the smallest cam on the windshield.
I am not a designer so please excuse the picture which is made from different things but I hope you will understand how can be done the smallest dashcam.

View attachment 1990

A suction cup will destroy the idea to be small. I don't think you can fix the camera in the middle of a suction cup because is needed to create some vacuum so everything must be perfectly sealed.
The adhesive tape is something like a gasket which can be offered by the seller also as spare parts. Event the user can make one from dual adhesive band. The gasket to be as a rectangle not as a circle like in my picture.
In that picture is only the idea. Of course the whole mount will be angled and the joystick will offer just about 45 degrees less or more angle.
The joystick will rotate the camera in any direction but no more than about 45 degrees.

Of course at the end of the joystick we can have a small LED.
Vent holes around the 3M tape which will cool the lens, something like at the Livue LB100.

enjoy,
Mtz

That may be true, though to me image quality would take priority over physical size. It wouldn't bother me if it were 2x the size of what you're envisioning, since it would still be smaller than just about any dashcam.

KuoH

A suction cup will destroy the idea to be small. I don't think you can fix the camera in the middle of a suction cup because is needed to create some vacuum so everything must be perfectly sealed.

I agree, suction cups are WAY too big, and not good for "Every Day" use. (or set it and forget it installations)
To me Suction cups are only good for Rental cars, or temp projects.
(like when I put my WF1 in my friends Plane for the day) http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/airplane-testing-vico-wf1-hello-from-4500ft-cessna-150.2920/

Adhesive tape is not as permanent as you think.

1) Use dental floss to work through the tape until the camera mount is removed.
2) Use GooGone or GoofOff on remaining residue. A razor blade will easily scrape off the reaming bits.

You can buy a roll of black Adhesive tape pretty cheap online.
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/which-surface-tape.2660/#post-28345

Last edited by a moderator:
I am lucky I don't have your phone. My no name chinese quad core smartphone doesn't have a poor battery. :p

Back to the wireless transfer: even it is Wi-Fi or bluetooth, if the transfer will be only for the duration of driving the car, will the wireless transfer speed be so fast to transfer the videos during the time spent by me in the car? How many minutes of videos will be transferred in that 15 minutes I am driving? If for example my dashcam will create 300MB for each 3 minutes clip (like Mobius), can the wireless standard to transfer 1.5GB of data in 15 minutes? And how many time I need to remain in the car after engine stops until the latest video is transferred?

enjoy,
Mtz

My car mount for my phone is powered.

300 MB for 3 minutes --> 100MB per minute --> 1.7MB per second --> 13.3Mb per second
Shouldn't be a problem. Granted I have wireless n at home but that's 130Mb per second.
For 802.11 g you should be able to realize 20Mb per second. Should be able to transfer the video real time. At least the WiFi won't be the bottle neck.

Back