First time buyer - Picking the right dashcam?

Can be for parking mode, or even without parking mode it still provides for a neater installation and frees up the cig socket

I don't understand installs so I apologize for this next question.

I have an Acura ILX. I don't even think I have a cig socket. Maybe I do, and just haven't seen it. Either way, what is cleaner about an install running to your fuse box vs through the cig socket? I've never seen either setup so I don't know what they look like.

The dashcam will help to ensure that blame is apportioned fairly. Do you not want a fair result?

Read my post again, I was very clear with my word choices for a reason. Maybe take a look at the thread I referenced as well.

A dashcam is like a double-edge sword; it can cut both ways. Wielded well it's your defender but wielded poorly it will hurt you mercilessly. It's all up to you how you wield that sword, and if you're not going to wield it well you're better off without it.

Phil

Yes that makes sense any tips on proper usage? Seems have a stealth install, and can add to the evidence later on if need be. I am very likely over thinking it, I just picture police seeing it at the scene and asking about it. I mainly want a dashcam because my relatively new car keeps getting hit by idiot drivers, luckily each time they left their insurance info. I can also see the benefits of having it for road usage as well.

Agreed. If excessive speed is a partial cause of an accident then you should accept responsibility for that - with or without dashcam evidence from either party. If excessive speed has no relationship to the incident then I don't see why it should count against you, although that could be hard to prove.
The world is not perfect and sometimes even if not at fault it can provide a counterpoint for the other party just based on speeding alone.

You guys put a lot of faith in your court systems, right or wrong, at fault or not at fault; the world isnt black and white. Thats great that you all have faith in your judicial system, I am pretty cynical on it especially in the particular area I live in.

Last edited:
Hmmmm- How to wield? Well to me it's mostly common sense. With some exceptions, honesty is a very good policy. Saying "Yeah, I may have going a little fast" will get better results than denying the obvious. How obvious matters- if your vid shows you passing everything in sight, you're screwed. But if you're getting passed as much as you're passing, that won't look so bad even if it's not a legal speed. The worst no-no's like cutting people off, doing anything patently unsafe like running red lights, racing or passing on a double-yellow line, well those will cut you deeply. Stealth install? That's an enigma. The cam has to see, preferrably in the area your wipers cover, so it's going to be visible to someone looking for it. How deeply they look you can't control. Sometines a remoted lens hidden in a factory housing can be done, but the lens is always going to be visible to someone who is looking for it. A cam which looks like a cam can only be made more discreet by the install technique, it's not totally stealth but better. Lots of problems doing a full-stealth approach like cam overheating, getting to the SD card, hiding cables, etc. And with some cars there's just nothing to hide it in. I will still see it if I look because I know what to look for, but many or most people will not see a well-done full stealth install. Another issue here is that it's illegal to suppress or alter relevant evidence, doubly so if asked about it by a government official. If they don't ask it's up to your conscience whether to speak up or not. If they do get your vids, they can and might want to see more than just the incident being investigated, like a few minutes beforehand up to the time they ask for the vids or end the investigation. In that they will see what you've done throughout, and if it's bad you've cut yourself again. You can turn your cam off and on at will, keeping it off if you think it's more a threat than an asset, but you'll certainly be asked why you do that if things go sour. They will know you're hiding somethijng even if they don't know what. Someone else may have video of that anyway so it's not perfectly safe to trust that your having it off will keep anything hidden. And when your cam is off, witnesses can collude and lie against you, or maybe they will not have seen everything, but your safety against that went away when you left the cam off. Get another band-aid. Best case scenario is that you submit only what you want seen to your Attorney without anyone else being aware of it, then follow their advice being honest with them. Never hide anything from your own Attorney; they need to know everything to best help you.

You can also use your cam only while parking, but dashcams offer limited protection there, it may not have what you need in view. Better than nothing and certainly worth doing. Not many cams have a good 'parking mode' so selection of the right cam and technique matters a lot for this usage. It still leaves you unprotected while driving, which to me makes little sense when that protection is at hand

Before I got into this, I drove much the same as now but a little faster. Nothing outrageous, not as fast as the fastest 25% of the other cars and definitely not like I was racing anyone, just a little bit over the limit regularly. Which almost everyone who lives here does. Now I'm rarely over the limit and then not by much. I've become more acutely aware of my own driving and I know what my "sword" can do to me so I'm more careful handling it. Nobody is a perfect driver, but I can show a history of me being one of the most careful and legal drivers out there, and that gives my "sword" a very keen edge which will shred any lies or misconceptions about me and the incident to pieces, handing me a 100% nearly instant win. My mulriple cams simply offer a chance to reinforce that. If you come up behind me, tailgate me, pass unsafely, then clip me when you pull back in or 'brake check' me afterward I'll have a full visible history of all that. My swords won't touch me but they will kill you because I'm wielding my swords in the way they were meant to be used. My "swords" have made me a better driver while protecting from those who aren't. I'm totally happy with that result, for I've truly lost nothing but I've gained a lot. You should try this approach instead of trying to "play the system" because your way will cut you someday, but my way never will.

Phil

The world is not perfect and sometimes even if not at fault it can provide a counterpoint for the other party just based on speeding alone.
No, the world is not perfect, and neither is any driver. The chances of an incident being 100% one person's fault are slim, as there's nearly always something that the other driver could have done to avoid it or minimise its effects. What I hope my cameras will show is where the other party is blatantly lying to try and protect themselves and painting an unfair version of what happened.

I was recently hit by an oncoming car that crossed onto my side of the road, hit me and did not stop. Her statement says that I crossed onto her side of the road, failed to try to avoid an accident, and drove without regard for her. My insurers were telling me that such incidents are nearly always settled 50:50. It's only because I have camera evidence that I could identify the other driver and that my insurers are trying to recover all costs from the other party.

Even if I had been traveling slightly over the speed limit, that would not have been the primary cause of the accident since she should never have been on my side of the road. All that could be argued is that by travelling too fast I was less able to avoid her.

You may well be speeding some of the time, but having cameras will help to protect you all the time from everything else happening around you.

Any other models or features I should look out for? I mainly want this because people have crashed into my car while its parked on multiple occasions (luckily they left their insurance info).

Parking Mode is what I was focusing on when I was shopping for a dashcam. If I spent $200 + for a dashcam and still getting hit while parked, then I'd be livid. Seems like a waste of money. You have no control of your car while it's parked and you're away. May as well adjust your insurance policy and spend more on a dashcam. So if you're parked over an entire weekend, means you want storage space. The F800 Pro advertises for 128GB BUT a 256GB xd card works!

The F800 Pro records parking mode via incident, timelapse, and in motion detection. If a car drives by, it has buffered parking so you get the 15-30 seconds PRIOR to when the camera was triggered, thus seeing what really happened, before it happened. If you have the audio on, you receive a beep if an incident (bump) happened.

Another great reason for the F800 Pro is that you don't need a magic pro setup for the battery as you can select the camera shuts down before leaving you with a dead battery. You can pick one up for mid $300s due to the holidays and coupon codes out there. $350 / 12 months = $29/month. I know it can be a somewhat boring purchase but get one camera now, and pick up the other in a few months from now.

The biggest problem with parking mode and with a event is plate capture, so if you are parked at the mall some some dingbat hit you while reversing out of his bay, then you stand a good chance of a plate capture.
But if you are parked alongside a curb and some idiot tear off your mirror at speed, than its a whole other matter where a range of factors play in for or against the chance of a plate capture.
If anyone give you a 100% guarantee for a plate capture parked or not, then grab that person cuz he / she will be from the future where dashcams are that much better to give such a statement.
or the person just don't know what he / she is talking about.

When it come to plate capture with a dashcam, you are still playing a game of chance im afraid.

Install to the fuse panel is all hidden, plugged into the cig socket will be hanging out

I know it’s make specific - but BMWs have a hidden cig socket under the passenger glovebox area, so a fairly discreet install. And their fuse box is in the boot/trunk so relatively a PITA for a hardwire install

Actually I wonder if you could reverse install for less wiring. So the ‘front’ cam is in the back of the car for shorter run to power, and the ‘rear’ camera is at the front so only one cable to run the length of the car

Back