G1W Novatek 96650 WDR F1.6 H.264 MOV 15Mbps GPS Dash Cam DVR

Well now I'm just confused... so you can hardwire the cam, or you can't? You just say in the same post that you both can and can't. Or do you mean you can hardwire it, as long as you remove the battery (in which case, why would you hardwire it without taking the battery out?).

I know a cig lighter socket will do the auto start/stop/motion, but as I understand, hardwiring is essentially doing a more-permanent version of a cig lighter socket.

Ah, okay. Thanks. So basically... 1 is just #2 where you remove the battery?

You do not need to remove battery from dash cam. As I wrote, - if you plan to have dash camera constantly working for parking motion detection, - it is not a good idea to buy dash cams with batteries inside. For this you need dash cameras with capacitors adn hardwire directly to constant 12v ( battery )
FOr normal every-day use for start and stop you can hardwire to fuse box ACC ( ignition fuse ).

Well now I'm just confused... so you can hardwire the cam, or you can't? You just say in the same post that you both can and can't. Or do you mean you can hardwire it, as long as you remove the battery (in which case, why would you hardwire it without taking the battery out?)

I said you can hardwire it but should not use it for parking mode on a regular basis when connected to an always on circuit. This is more of a precaution when used in a hot climate.
I don't know what else I can say to be more clear.

I said you can hardwire it but should not use it for parking mode on a regular basis when connected to an always on circuit. This is more of a precaution when used in a hot climate.
I don't know what else I can say to be more clear.

I can, but I shouldn't. Now it's clear.

As I wrote, - if you plan to have dash camera constantly working for parking motion detection, - it is not a good idea to buy dash cams with batteries inside. For this you need dash cameras with capacitors adn hardwire directly to constant 12v ( battery )

Good thing that sellers list that the dash cam they're listing has capacitors in it! That isn't confusing and complex!

So... I should NOT hardwire a GT300w-esque cam? I just want to hardwire a dash cam so it has auto on/off and I can use parking protect. I know I could plug into a cig light socket, but I'd rather attach to fuse box, etc, to keep a socket open and because the cam is going to be only in a single car and semi-permanent (only reason I'd move it is to remove crucial video or move the cam to capture an incident at the moment, ie turn the cam, etc. It would be really cool if the cam had a back-up battery so I could pull it off if I wanted to and keep it recording (ie car accident occurs, the guy is on fire so I get out of my car and pull the cam to record it - and for some reason I'm unable to do anything about it, ie im on a bridge above him).

In order to do what you want reliably, I would suggest you buy a higher end dash cam like a Panorama II or Lukas LK-7900 to avoid any problems.
If you are willing to give up 'parking protect' as you call it, then a GT300W-esque cam (or any cam really) will work.
Hardwiring can be done to any cam regardless of price or whether it has an internal battery or capacitor.

Why don't I just replace the battery, as that's the problem here right? Buy a more reliable battery? Or just remove it (then I can't pull it mid-scene and continue recording but w/e)? I live by DC so the hottest it gets in hot summer is ~90*F/32*C

I can, but I shouldn't. Now it's clear.

Good thing that sellers list that the dash cam they're listing has capacitors in it! That isn't confusing and complex!

So... I should NOT hardwire a GT300w-esque cam? I just want to hardwire a dash cam so it has auto on/off and I can use parking protect. I know I could plug into a cig light socket, but I'd rather attach to fuse box, etc, to keep a socket open and because the cam is going to be only in a single car and semi-permanent (only reason I'd move it is to remove crucial video or move the cam to capture an incident at the moment, ie turn the cam, etc. It would be really cool if the cam had a back-up battery so I could pull it off if I wanted to and keep it recording (ie car accident occurs, the guy is on fire so I get out of my car and pull the cam to record it - and for some reason I'm unable to do anything about it, ie im on a bridge above him).

You can still hard-wire it, but to the ACC in fuse box, not to constant 12v.

Good point regarding in case of accident take dash camera to continue filming the action. This is actually a "good?" sales point of many Chinese companies, but they do not tell people that in our 21st sentury even 3y old kiddo has with him a mobile phone with at least 2Mpix camera. Hope you see my point.

Why don't I just replace the battery, as that's the problem here right? Buy a more reliable battery? Or just remove it (then I can't pull it mid-scene and continue recording but w/e)? I live by DC so the hottest it gets in hot summer is ~90*F/32*C

It can be too late to jsut replacing a battery.
For your area it's probably fine, but in other hot weather areas LIPO battery can expand, cause fire, etc.

Good point regarding in case of accident take dash camera to continue filming the action. This is actually a "good?" sales point of many Chinese companies, but they do not tell people that in our 21st sentury even 3y old kiddo has with him a mobile phone with at least 2Mpix camera. Hope you see my point.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are trying to say here. People in the 21st century don't know 3 year olds have cell phones with 2mpix cams?

It can be too late to jsut replacing a battery.
For your area it's probably fine, but in other hot weather areas LIPO battery can expand, cause fire, etc.

Too late? What do you mean by that?

I understand that the issue, particularly with lipo, is blowing in hot weather. I'll monitor heat, I can always make a custom heatsink no problem as I do a lot of PC overclocking/modding, i have tons of heatsinks and thermal sensors.

If I did a hardwire (to acc for lower voltage obviously, instead of to a 12v fuse), wouldn't that mean it wouldn't run off battery at all? Or would it during motion detect/parking protect?

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are trying to say here. People in the 21st century don't know 3 year olds have cell phones with 2mpix cams?

Too late? What do you mean by that?

I understand that the issue, particularly with lipo, is blowing in hot weather. I'll monitor heat, I can always make a custom heatsink no problem as I do a lot of PC overclocking/modding, i have tons of heatsinks and thermal sensors.

If I did a hardwire (to acc for lower voltage obviously, instead of to a 12v fuse), wouldn't that mean it wouldn't run off battery at all? Or would it during motion detect/parking protect?

I think i explained clearly enough to understand.
My point is that for outside car action recording / making photos you can always use your mobile phone. These days i dont know any person, especially car driver who wouldnt have camera mobile phone.

It doesnt matter you hardwire directly to battery current or acc, voltage is still the same 12v which is converted into 5v that dash cam needs. So there is no high or low voltage, its stays the same.

Too late to start changing battery will be if because of overheating or exploding it can ruin dash camera other hardware parts etc.

My point is that for outside car action recording / making photos you can always use your mobile phone. These days i dont know any person, especially car driver who wouldnt have camera mobile phone.

Oh, right, I thoguht about that, but a mobile phone isn't as high quality as a recent dash cam. I was thinking in a situation like if someone hits you on the side, you turn the cam, or if they drive off the cliff in front of you, you pull the dash cam to continue recording them and the falling car.

Too late to start changing battery will be if because of overheating or exploding it can ruin dash camera other hardware parts etc.

I don't think you are using the word 'late' correctly, because I still don't understand what you mean. I can always mount a heatsink or mod something, I specialize in creating heatsinks for overheating components. I just want a dash cam that I can hardwire as I stated, and now I'm quite confused

So does this thing really have a GPS option or not? The new FAQ page says it doesn't. http://dashcamtalk.com/g1w/
The price and form-factor is nice if it does end up having a GPS option.

They had plans to implement GPS module as well on the first place when it was released, they even left gps socket open and space on the mother-board for GPS socket., but this plan never went into production, at least on this model.

"estore009 on eBay
and BetterKing on Aliexpress appear to be selling it as well for a lower price but we have not been able to confirm yet that these cameras are legitimate."
So the genuine cannot be confirmed?

Another question- can I get power from a standard USB 12V outlet? This kind of:
http://www.verkkokauppa.com/files/images/1/2_156188-737x710.jpeg
http://www.avantree.com/Product-10W-Dual-USB-Car-Charger-for-iPad-and-Samsung-Tab_476.html

"estore009 on eBay
and BetterKing on Aliexpress appear to be selling it as well for a lower price but we have not been able to confirm yet that these cameras are legitimate."
So the genuine cannot be confirmed?

Another question- can I get power from a standard USB 12V outlet? This kind of:
http://www.verkkokauppa.com/files/images/1/2_156188-737x710.jpeg
http://www.avantree.com/Product-10W-Dual-USB-Car-Charger-for-iPad-and-Samsung-Tab_476.html

Back "then" ( 4 month ago ) when I bought it, within 1 minth later I have an accounted about 20 look-a-like G1W with same specs but different "brand" names.

Best not to get burned is to buy from reputable re-sellers: Foxoffer, estore009, Better King,

Yes, you can use any usb cigarette lighter 12v to 5v, connect dash camera with usb to mini usb cable.
Also you can hardwire to ignition or constant 12v power using 12v to 5v converter.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...i+usb&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20131006022203

730227555_900.jpg

674163600_989.jpg
674163598_877.jpg

Ok, thanks. Charge port = Mini USB , and data port = Mini USB ? The both are Mini USB? Can I transfer data & power in both ports?
And can you link to cable , which would work.

Ok, thanks. Charge port = Mini USB , and data port = Mini USB ? The both are Mini USB? Can I transfer data & power in both ports?
And can you link to cable , which would work.

Yes, same port functions as 2 in 1.
1. for power
2. for file transfer / copy

If connected for power supply to usb cigarette lighter charger via usb to mini usb cable, it can supply power and at the same time you can transfer files as well using same cable.
IF you hardwire, then of coruse need to use two separate mini usb cables: one is for hardwire for power supply, other is for file transfer. You need to unplug always hardwire power supply mini us, then plug a file transfer usb to mini usb. Hope you understand what I mean.
I recommend hardwire, - it is more tidy for every day use.
In case you need to transfer files, it is same convenient to pull out microsd card, stick it into your mobile phone or PC / laptop, copy to mobile phone or PC / laptop.

Any of above mentioned hardwire mini usb power cables / convertors will work on most Chinese dash cameras with mini-usb power port.

I prefer this one below, because convertor part ( box ) is slim and small in size. You will be able to hide it under ceiling liner.
The first one I have added picture above has bigger / thicker voltage convertor box and depending of a car, it's more hassle to hide it under ceiling liner.
By choosing aether of 12v to 5v mini-sub convertors for hardwire, please note to choose correct angle of mini-usb plug to suit your dash camera for confortable use: 90 degree left-turn / 90 degree right-turn / straight plug.

786807689_657.jpg

Hi, thanks for your advice, but I would like not to hard wire. Since the 12V outlet will automatically turn off when doors are locked,so it is very convenient, and camera stop recording then. Finnish winter is very cold, and the battery will drain quickly, if the camera continues recording after unit has been turned off. So could you please recommend me a long USB Cable (from eBay, if possible, (Paypal)) which I could use for power from 12v outlet (I have 5V Adaptor there.)

Hi, thanks for your advice, but I would like not to hard wire. Since the 12V outlet will automatically turn off when doors are locked,so it is very convenient, and camera stop recording then. Finnish winter is very cold, and the battery will drain quickly, if the camera continues recording after unit has been turned off. So could you please recommend me a long USB Cable (from eBay, if possible, (Paypal)) which I could use for power from 12v outlet (I have 5V Adaptor there.)

You can hard wire to ACC ( ignition )

Anyway, below is 5 metre cable you can use as you planned.

Back