G1WH with a -new- chipset @ estore009

Look at the foliage and the edge of the road, especially on the left where it's the most obvious.
In that case my eyesight must be all screwed up because I can see a lot more details in the bottom picture than on the one on the top:
- I can clearly see the sidewalk stones all the way to the curb on the tree's shadow, while in the upper picture they're only visible in the lit up places;
- The tree's shadow itself is much more defined, while in the upper picture it's just a blot with poorly defined contours;
- There are a lot less dark patches in the foliage and I can see a lot more sky through it than in the upper picture;
- C'mon, the grass isn't orange! :D

Last edited:
Image2.jpg Thanks for your reactions. I agree, top pic is the best and probably the novatek. Look at each picture at the top right, the big light on the building. On top pic it shines more. And more brightness leads to more noise, as y'all can see. But that is exactly what you want on a dashcam. And I forgot to mention: The estore Novatek records audio at 512kbps/32khz. The Banggood 'gpl?' cam at a 'stunning' 128kbps/8khz.

So if this is the new G1WH, its not recommended. And maybe the info on the main dashcamtalk website about the G1W-series is outdated?

Should I return it to banggood, as they sold it to me as a Novatek cam?

You probably should return it. I have no idea how reliable this chip is, but I assume it's cheaper, and being that it's not in many cameras so far, I wouldn't risk it.

And more brightness leads to more noise, as y'all can see. But that is exactly what you want on a dashcam.
Sorry, but that's not what I want in a dashcam.

What's wrong with me? Why am I the only one seeing that the bottom picture's quality is better?

Sorry, but that's not what I want in a dashcam.

What's wrong with me? Why am I the only one seeing that the bottom picture's quality is better?
Comparing those two photos, I agree the bottom is better. However, neither would be an acceptable result for me.

Comparing those two photos, I agree the bottom is better. However, neither would be an acceptable result for me.
Putting aside the question of being acceptable or not, thanks. I was starting to wonder if my eyes were playing tricks with my mind. :)

Aesthetics aside (the top picture is too yellow, the bottom is too blue - neither is accurate in this regard) the top picture has much more detail information in it than the bottom. In my mind the purpose of a dash cam is to capture information - the more the better.

Here's an enlarged crop from the same area of both pictures. Nothing has been done to either one other than to use the same enlargement algorithm to enlarge them. There is obviously a lot more detail in the top versus the bottom.

CamCompare.jpg

View attachment 17663 Thanks for your reactions. I agree, top pic is the best and probably the novatek. Look at each picture at the top right, the big light on the building. On top pic it shines more. And more brightness leads to more noise, as y'all can see. But that is exactly what you want on a dashcam. And I forgot to mention: The estore Novatek records audio at 512kbps/32khz. The Banggood 'gpl?' cam at a 'stunning' 128kbps/8khz.

So if this is the new G1WH, its not recommended. And maybe the info on the main dashcamtalk website about the G1W-series is outdated?

Should I return it to banggood, as they sold it to me as a Novatek cam?

I have updated the G1W page to indicate the G1WH camera is using the GPL processor. Also pointed to this thread for people looking for more info on it.

We do not think Banggood is Novatek.

vs.jpg

A new comparison which will even convince member Module 79L to favour the old Novatek. My headlights are off. In the Novatek picture you can read the license plate a bit. I can read something like '8-ZNB-32'. The Generalplus is not readable at all.

Looking at all the other details shows the Novatek looking better to me too. The G1W series is getting rather old and has many sellers in competition so perhaps this is an attempt to generate more profit through cheaper hardware. No matter the cause, the effect is obvious: the new chipset isn't as good as the old one.

Phil

Hahaha, you don't have to convince me of nothing! ;) I have 3 Novatek based cameras. I judge the pictures by what they show, not by the camera that recorded them. Anyway, night video isn't the best way of comparing two cameras that doesn't excel at that.

If you change to cheaper chipsets you're going to have a bad time.

I was wondering if anybody here has installed the GW1H (or any other GW1 series) in a VW Jetta. If so, may I see some pictures of such installations please and also hear from such owners as to the issues they faced with that installation?

Thank you and cheers

Back