G1WH with a -new- chipset @ estore009

I was wondering if anybody here has installed the GW1H (or any other GW1 series) in a VW Jetta. If so, may I see some pictures of such installations please and also hear from such owners as to the issues they faced with that installation?

Thank you and cheers
Hi @tilt and welcome to DCT!

Usually the only "problems" you might have that could need something more than just mounting the camera and pluging it to the power adapter, are the Jetta's cigarette lighter having constant power or, if it's a diesel, the engine management cuttting the power when you start the engine. Other than that it's pretty straightforward.

Hi Module79. Thank you for responding and for the welcome :)

I am afraid I should have phrased my question more clearly. I am specifically looking for info and pictures where I can see how much of room there was behind the mirror for the camera and how that affects the ease of removal and re-attachment of the camera itself into he mount in that specific position; and also how people have managed t routes the cable behind the roof panels etc. to get to the cigarette lighter port.

Thanks and cheers

Hi Module79. Thank you for responding and for the welcome :)

I am afraid I should have phrased my question more clearly. I am specifically looking for info and pictures where I can see how much of room there was behind the mirror for the camera and how that affects the ease of removal and re-attachment of the camera itself into he mount in that specific position; and also how people have managed t routes the cable behind the roof panels etc. to get to the cigarette lighter port.

Thanks and cheers
Well, I can't tell you exactly if the camera will fit between the RVM and the windscreen because I have no idea how much room is there. Since the driver's position is on the right you probably can install it behind the left side of the RVM.
The camera slides off the mount to the left, so it shouldn't be difficult to remove the camera when needed.

As for routing the cables, some people did it almost the professional way. There are a lot of examples here.
I did it the simple way (mind you my camera is installed on the left side of the RVM): routed the cable by the driver's side, passed it over the steering column towards the door, then hid it inside the A-pillar lining all the way to the sun visor. From there I passed it behind the sun visor, where I coiled the rest of the cable, leaving only enough to climb down from behind the sun visor to the camera.

this is another option - attach it to the arm of the rearview itself:

some german cars have big arms for their mirrors so this might not work. the arm would have to be cylindrical, not tapered.

as for hiding the wires, you can simply tuck them behind trim pieces. the headliner is the easiest to tuck a wire inside of, but the A-pillar trim is always a very tight fit on every VW i've worked on. be sure to put the wire between the glass of the windshield and the A-pillar trim in case you have side curtain airbags. don't want the wire to get in the way of the airbags!

one other option is to hardwire the camera. then you might not need to route ANY wires down the a-pillar. i tapped into the wires in the overhead console in a few different cars. one of them got power from the sunroof controls, so that it would only be on when the car was turned on. another car didn't have a sunroof, but it still had a little trip computer for things like a compass, fuel economy, etc... i got power from that since it was also only active when the key was turned on.

that kit says it's for the mini-0801, but it will work for any dashcam with a miniusb port like the g1w. i'm using one of these kits on my a118.

Be good to see some side by side ( New VS old ) Video ..
+ Lets not forget the G1W series may have a slight focus issue .. ( I know mine was was out - and after refocusing its nice and sharp )
So what are you comparing ? Chipset or focus ?

Module, Gibson, thank you once again.

Gibson, the tip re. curtain airbags is a good one. Thank you.

Old4570, I have already bought the G1WH, so I am n0o longer comparing anything :). My dash cam comes with the Novate chip. Please tell me, when you say "refocussed", how did you go about doing it (in case I too face that issue)?

Thanks and cheers

^ this.

There's only a few ones that come with bad focus, most of the ones with bad focus happen because of very extreme heat.

Naa , mine had nothing to do with heat .. Simply out of focus ...

To adjust focus you need to UN-glue the lens ... There is a tutorial some where ..
Then what I did I marked the body for a starting position , then twisted the lens in and out noting how much twist was applied ..
Then took some video footage and compared one to the other ..
After a little testing I got it where it was rather sharp ...
To focus further I believe you twist in , and to focus closer you twist out ...

I dare say most cams may possible need a little tweaking for the sharpest focus , but if its not terrible , why would you risk damaging your cam or lens ?
As for me , I wanted the sharpest possible image for my G1Wc , and I wasn't terribly worried about killing the cam ..
And I have killed a few cams to date ... Yes I have ... Just because I was curious - and bored ! , a few cams had to go to the great road in the sky !
Cant bake a cake without breaking a few eggs now can we ( ? )

Here is the video I made

It appears that the Novatek 96650 chipset is being sold and used again?

Gents, I remember reading a post somewhere about the optimal way to set up the G1WH. This was in terms of each menu setting, what is the best way to set it up so that there are no glitches etc. Some of it had to do with WDR and some of it with the Motion Detect settings and the Auto Power off etc.

I am unable to find that post now and was wondering if any of you remembers something like that and could point me back in the right direction.

Thanks and cheers

Thank you jokiin :)

One question though, re. g-sensor: if it is completely off, would it still save impact footage? And specifically, would it save minor slow-speed impact footage?

The reason I ask is, here in India, traffic is so dense that most impacts occur at a little over walking or jogging speeds.

Cheers

Thank you jokiin :)

One question though, re. g-sensor: if it is completely off, would it still save impact footage? And specifically, would it save minor slow-speed impact footage?

The reason I ask is, here in India, traffic is so dense that most impacts occur at a little over walking or jogging speeds.

Cheers

no it won't save, most people complain that it is too sensitive though to the point of being useless anyway

Cheers
There are reports saying that even if the sensibility is set to Low it'll still lock files on any minor impact, such as a bump on the road. If you need to lock some important clips you better do it manually.

I was wondering if anybody here has installed the GW1H (or any other GW1 series) in a VW Jetta. If so, may I see some pictures of such installations please and also hear from such owners as to the issues they faced with that installation?

Thank you and cheers
I have my camera hardwired into my Jetta (2003 MKIV wagon/estate) and I used the cigarette lighter adapter it came with (well, the previous cam's but whatever) and a fuse tap.

But not that one since it's for mini fuses but you get the idea. Pick any fuse that is normally energized with the key on (like the horn fuse) and pop it in. You should get one of those hardwire usb wires but I used a lighter plug adapter and plugged the included power cord into that. There is tons of room inside the fuse panel. I had run the wire up the kick panel and through the a pillar cover. It's possible that you could get key switched power out of the dome light but I didn't try.

Back