GIT2 Wide Angle Sharpness Problem

brute4c

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hello, I recently bought an used GIT2 camera as a replacement for my old GIT1 and I sadly discovered that video quality is worse. I have made a plenty of comparisons with different settings and still not able to tell if it some physical lens or image sensor failure, software issue or it just how the image from GIT2 look like. I share with You the video frames taken from both camera, both configured at low contrast and low sharpness with exception of the 1440P frame form GIT2. I know that using Gyro stabilisation decreeses image sharpness but event without it GIT1 is much sharper. When using as a dashcam in sunny day with GIT1 I was able to read license plates form 20-30 meters when with GIT2 it's about 10. Event at 1440P and high contrast and sharpness setting, it's looking good only at the first glance, but doesn't improve the redability of license plate at all. The only thing which bothers me is photo image, attached at the end of collection. It have a lot of detail, and look perfectly focused, at least at the center, so why is video so blurry? Can anyone can confirm that is just the normal GIT2 behavior? Or maybe there is a software or hardware issue?

Imgur Gallery

PS. I'm using latest firmware on both cameras. Added at the side by side comparison, You can easily spot the difference escpecially looking at tree in the center or at the billboard.

Last edited:
The Git1 is a great camera, and makes a good dashcam, gives some of the sharpest 1080 video available, and will beat every other action camera.

The Git2 is also a great camera, but it is an action camera, not a dashcam, for making movies, not recording licence plates.

I think from your photos, the lens and focus is decent for a Git2, and the problem is that you are using it as a dashcam, not what it was designed for.

Maybe the best upgrade from a Git1, if you are not doing normal action camera stuff, is the Gitup F1, although even that will not match Viofo's real dash cameras if you want to use it as a dashcam, the exposure and field of view are not ideal for dash cam use. The Viofo A129 Pro has the same sensor as the Gitup F1, but is tuned for dash cam use, and I sometimes use mine as an action camera since it is effectively a 4K version of the Gitup Git1, just doesn't have a battery or photo mode.

Thank You for response. Actually I was comparing it in DVR scenario because it was most convenient to me. Nowadays is not the best time to go outside for some sport activities. I was using GIT1 mostly for bike riding and skiing, and GIT2 is here to replace it. I also recently bought A119 V3 as my DVR and very happy with the image quality :) But speaking of GIT2.

In the samples I have putted the view from my window, not the dashcam scenario at all, and I still not satisfied with the image. When watching at samples of GIT2 footage they usually are looking better. Here is an example, it's better than mine I think. Once I have left it in the sun for a while and the image was even more blurry. What could be a reson for that? Is there a way to somehow calibrate the lens? I know it's possible with 90FOV replacements, but the stock one seems to be glued in place.

I was using GIT1 mostly for bike riding and skiing, and GIT2 is here to replace it.
It is a good choice for that.

I also recently bought A119 V3 as my DVR and very happy with the image quality :)
Also a good choice :)

Here is an example, it's better than mine I think.
Seems remarkably good, but note that there was not much movement, when you are driving it will never be quite that good.

Once I have left it in the sun for a while and the image was even more blurry.
It is possible that it is not perfectly focused, although your photos looked OK, and it is best to test the focus using photo mode.
Maybe take a photo after it has been in the sun for a while. You want it perfect in normal temperature, a little out of focus when very hot is normal.

but the stock one seems to be glued in place.
Yes, you need to remove the glue before it can be focused, then you just turn the lens. There are a few guides for removing the glue, maybe search YouTube, but I think they may use better glue now than the early ones.

Git2 has imx206 sensor, which is quite slow and can make only 2304x1296x30 with binning, more over, git2 scales it down to 2112x1188, so no point to record 1440p with it, as every video mode with resolution higher than 1080p is just upscale.

Yes, you need to remove the glue before it can be focused, then you just turn the lens. There are a few guides for removing the glue, maybe search YouTube, but I think they may use better glue now than the early ones.
I will try to adjust the focus over the weekend, wish me luck.

Git2 has imx206 sensor, which is quite slow and can make only 2304x1296x30 with binning, more over, git2 scales it down to 2112x1188, so no point to record 1440p with it, as every video mode with resolution higher than 1080p is just upscale.
So whats the point of putting the 1296P, 1440P and even 2560P modes? I was pretty sure that image sensor was capable of reading 2304 (H) × 1728 (V) image at 30fps, as it one of available modes according to this datasheet. So 1296P30 shouldn't be a problem for the camera, especially if they somehow managed to upscale it to 2560P at 24fps.

Some people like the other modes, and it is not clear exactly how it works with regard to upscaling, cropping for image stabilisation, compression ratios etc., you need to try them out and decide for yourself.

Personally I always use it at 1080 60fps with stabilisation on, and it does a good job for action camera video, the other modes will not give a lot of extra detail, but some people do like them.

Good luck on the glue. If you can get a large adjustable wrench onto the square bottom of the lens mount then it should be easy to unscrew the lens even with the glue in place, but with the Git2 it is not easy to get in there, and complete disassembly is slightly risky if you don't know what you are doing, so it is probably a sharp knife to cut through the glue and seperate the glue on the mount from the glue on the lens. If you get stuck, don't use too much force, and do ask for advice.

Thank You for advice, I wanted to start with heating it up with hairdryer to make a glue a bit elastic, but problably will also use an advice about cutting it with the knife :)

So whats the point of putting the 1296P, 1440P and even 2560P modes? I was pretty sure that image sensor was capable of reading 2304 (H) × 1728 (V) image at 30fps, as it one of available modes according to this datasheet. So 1296P30 shouldn't be a problem for the camera, especially if they somehow managed to upscale it to 2560P at 24fps.

Yes, you are right, it can output 2304x1728x30 with binning, and this sensor mode is used in git2 for 30fps video resolutions actually. But it is scaled down to 2112x1584 and cropped to 2112x1188 for 16:9 aspect ration video, or used as is for 4:3.

I have refocused the lens, it seems to be better, but it's still place for fine tuning. My idea with heating up the lens with hairdryer worked. In about a minute I was able to move the lens, glue was sticky but elastic. Unfortunately I accidentally heated up also the plastic cover of the camera and it bend a little, so if You want to use my method, just remember to protect move and protect all the other plastics away. There is no way to do it without taking all the electronics out, You will just melt them.

I'm now much more satisfied with the sharpness but it still not the GIT1 level. I think I missed the sweet spot, because now the focus is event too far, but I'm unable to focus is using USB Camera mode, there compression is to high. I have ordered a microHDMI cable and then will try to refocus it again. My second idea is just to switch the lenses with GIT1, is it possible?

My second idea is just to switch the lenses with GIT1, is it possible?
That is not a good idea, they have a different physical size of sensor, so swapping lens will give a different field of view, the lens corrections for colour etc. will be poor, and the calibration for the stabilisation will be terrible, the image will become warped in the corners!

You will not get Git2 video to appear as sharp as Git1 video, but in other ways it is better, you will get used to it, at least for action camera use.

@brute4c, check out modded firmware. It has downscale disabled for 2304x1728 sensor mode, so should have better details in 30fps video. Also, video resolution 1440p 4:3 has been changed to 2304x1728.

You will not get Git2 video to appear as sharp as Git1 video, but in other ways it is better, you will get used to it, at least for action camera use.
I can tell, the image maybe is not as crisp, but it much more cinematic I would say. I did a second refocus round, but now using Media Player Classic I was able to set the stream to FHD and what particularly useful, it has an option to double the size frame so the focusing precision is even better. Still not the HDMI quality, but much better. Actually now I'm satisfied with the image quality, it's good enough. Here is what is look like right now:
ajmvpjg.png

And how it looked before:
IG6tsQ6.png

Maybe the trees are a bit blurry, on the refocused one, but they are really close, so that's perfectly ok. What worth mentioning is that the new frame was captured from video with contrast and sharpness stetted to low, and old one was at normal.

@brute4c, check out modded firmware. It has downscale disabled for 2304x1728 sensor mode, so should have better details in 30fps video. Also, video resolution 1440p 4:3 has been changed to 2304x1728.
Is it this firmware? https://www.goprawn.com/forum/novatek-cams/2648-git2-modx-firmware If Yes I have it already installed :) If no I should give it a try.

I'm 99% sure the IMX206 sensor can work at 3840x2160 crop @24fps without any binning.

I'm 99% sure the IMX206 sensor can work at 3840x2160 crop @24fps without any binning.
I guess, that is possible, but frame should be cropped properly in some custom mode.

no, that is different one. Basically, its just stock firmware with scale down disabled for 30fps video mode.
On which version is based on? Who has made it? Is it hard to do a firmware mod, assuming that one has some java dev experience?

On which version is based on? Who has made it? Is it hard to do a firmware mod, assuming that one has some java dev experience?
It is based on version 1.8. I did. It depends on what someone wants to achieve, reverse engineering abilities and needs some time.

It is based on version 1.8. I did. It depends on what someone wants to achieve, reverse engineering abilities and needs some time.
Are You planing to somehow develop this as a official modification? I really like high bitrates of the mod I currently using, but it is based on old firmware and I don't know if the downscale is disabled there. Would be great to combine them. Btw. Why Is Yours so light? It only weights 2.66 MB and the official one 3.89MB.

I have no git2 camera, so no mods planned. I have made this one, as one guy asked me to add video mode with full resolution provided by sensor without scaling. Original firmware consists of 2 parts, and the second one is related to wifi functionality. This modded firmware has only first part, as second one has not been changed, but original firmware should be flashed first, to be sure everything is ok.
You can change bitrates by yourself, as there are several tools for unpacking/packing firmware and changing bitrates. Or you can ask @nutsey, to refresh his mod based on latest original firmware and with downscale disabled for 30fps resolutions.

Back