GitUp Git2- Support, FAQ, Review

Hi all,

Just tested with 2 original gitup batteries and running fw 1.4. Battery last 3/4 days max with cam OFF!
Any suggestion about what and how fix this?
How do you turn the camera off?

I have found my battery empty a few times, but if I do a test then normally it stays full, I think there maybe something you can do that leaves the camera in a state that empties the batteries... (for example something like removing the SD card after turning the camera off)

The issue with the component touching was the clock battery touching a screw, easy to see if you take the front cover off. Taking the front cover off is also easy on the Git2.

Hi all,

i send video from motorbike. Gyro works very well, i.e. when rear part of bike is shaking, video not.
About time losing. A put small plastic piece between inside screw and capacitor and problem was solved.

Video 1080P/60fps. bit rate hight. Last sec. is 720p/120fps. Making in win movie maker.
Enjoy :)

@Nigel,
Just pressing pwr button. Will test taking off sd card or even disabling auto pwr off and so on.

Guess my option will be open the camera to see o_O:(

Hi all,

i send video from motorbike. Gyro works very well...
I didn't know that the Git2 gyro had a horizon lock mode :eek: Very nice :D

:-D thanks. Well, yes, I have extra horizontal gyro, but it does not have impact to gitup's gyro stabilization of vertikal rear bike shaking :D

can't do that, different chipset
Thanks.

Regarding the battery drain didn't someone earlier in the thread say the screw was touching the internal battery I don't recall if this in turn depleted the main battery or just the standby battery.

@gitup

In camera-photo mode: Is there a way to specify duration along with time lapse?

For instance, take a photo every 1 minute (time lapse) for a total of 30 mins (duration).

Thanks...

If not, this would be a useful feature to add via firmware?

@gitup

It would be great if this could be added to firmware.

Duration might also work with camera-video mode: start recording every 60 mins (time lapse) then record for 5 mins (record interval) for a total of 8 hours (duration).

This results in 40 mins of video captured over 8 hours! ; well within battery and storage parameters. Think how useful this might be in unattended mode on a tripod or other mount.

With this kind of programming, it might reduce the frustration which sometimes occurs with mounts such as helmet since action could be pre-programmed.

Keep finding useful activities for this excellent camera.

@gitup

Do any of the distributors carry the GIT2 with 90 degree lens?

Does the 90 degree lens protrude more than the standard lens; will it fit in the waterproof case?

Hello,
is there any possibility to calibrate white balance on "auto" mode? It always goes too blue.

Reactions: Mtz
Here's an odd one I discovered...

With DSLR, I like to lock White Balance so it makes it easier in post to edit photos in batches for a given scene.

I noticed that when set to auto white balance on the Git2. The dynamic range is better. You can see more shadow detail. When I lock the white balance, the shadow detail is lost.

Overcast morning...but these two frames where captured seconds of each other. Same lighting. Only difference is hitting the W/B lock button. The menu button is set for W/B lock only. Not exposure.

Here's a center crop of a 1080p60 using latest official firmware. Notice the shadow details in the darks of the trees and wheel of the truck in the foreground?
GIT2_autoWB_lockWB.png

I wonder if this is the reason I thought the contrast was too aggressive in yesterday's testing. I had White Balanced locked for daylight.

Anyways, white balance locking shouldn't affect dynamic range or contrast like seen here. Maybe a bug?

Hello,
is there any possibility to calibrate white balance on "auto" mode? It always goes too blue.

I would love this ability too. I too think it bias to blue.

The left side was AWB. And the right side was lock W/B with the milky cap. (One of the most welcome feature of the Git2 for me was this ability to use the menu button to lock W/B) I think I got it so I can custom white balance without losing dynamic range. I will test with different lighting conditions once the sun comes out.

I am using the white cap to set a scene white balance. There are similar tools for DSLR camera that does a surprisingly good job at it.

I found that instead of putting the cap completely on and accidentally invoking that dynamic range issue I demonstrated earlier. I simply place the cap loosely over and hit the set white balance button.

It defines the w/b a little better for my taste than auto mode. And now, it doesn't lose the dark details anymore. And looks better to me than pointing the camera around the scene, looking for a neutral grey or proper white to w/b against.

Regarding your ending statement. I agree.

The camera currently has the normal and vivid mode. And they are introducing "strong" mode in the upcoming firmware. We need a natural mode or something. With some reduction in the contrast. Then it'll be easier to do color grading in Post. The protune mode is one reason why GoPro is still the pro's choice for action camera. All video worthy of sharing should go through post IMHO. :)

Cheers,
-Daryoon

Last edited:
Thanks for helping me understand how the Git2 works. Every system has it's particular tendencies that one has to get familiar with. And I am just getting to know the Git2. I'm a lifetime learner so always happy to be wrong. Because that just means I learned something new. :)

I understand a lot of what you're saying. In fact, that's how I prefer the camera to work. :) It's just from my experience with other systems, perhaps older ones, where you see shift in color while video is recording. So locking it for the light condition helps prevent that shift. However, the primary reason is just to be able to set which W/B I want the scene to use and lock it in place once for the duration of the recording. Having the ability to use the menu shortcut is nice...even if it isn't as advance as I originally thought and the camera is simply picking between a limited set of W/B profiles.

Also, grey card might not be technically made for W/B. But you'd likely understand that it's a simply another tool to reach a means. I'm actually not after a technically perfect W/B all the time. For most of my images/videos..I prefer a warmer W/B for my final images. Some of the grey card aren't perfect neutral so it helps me get to my ideal W/B in difficult lighting situations. While the white side gets too cool for my taste sometimes.

BTW, Just wanted to leave this second picture... once I figured out how to maintain dynamic range while using the cap to help the camera establish W/B for the scene.

Both from the same video, the left is the autoW/B. And then I cover the lens, hit the set W/B button and recompose. There's always other variables to consider...but to my eyes, I do see a slight difference in colors. I'll play with more difficult lighting situations to see if this holds true.

GIT2_autoWB_lockWB2.png

In the above A/B comparison. I actually like the tones of the AutoW/B better. Kudos to Git2 for that. :D The set W/B picture on the left has the magenta undertone that I find prevalent in many of the Chinese Action Cameras.

but to my eyes, I do see a slight difference in colors. I'll play with more difficult lighting situations to see if this holds true.
I guess the cap is not a pure white/grey so the WB it gives may not be the same as a pure white card, or using the auto, but as long as it gives a result you like it doesn't matter. I normally lock the WB just from the scene, I've never noticed a difference from the auto doing that.

I believe the auto has a lot of steps, far more than the number of presets, but you can sometimes see it change in steps when conditions change so it is not as fine a resolution as is ideal and using the WB lock can definitely improve videos.

Just walking around with action cameras mounted next to each other now that the sun is out.

Yi 23L with Waffle script versus Git2.
Yi_23L_vs_Git2_1080p60.png

Definitely need a preset for the Git2 to make it less contrasty. Otherwise, liking the camera so far.

My thoughts exactly. I know there's only so many stops of light these sensors can do. But the Git2 is almost there. Just lift the shadows a little and I'll be content. Or allow for a more flat setting and I can decide in Post.

My thoughts exactly. I know there's only so many stops of light these sensors can do. But the Git2 is almost there. Just lift the shadows a little and I'll be content. Or allow for a more flat setting and I can decide in Post.
Why don't you just give it a small increase in gamma in your editor to lift the shadows?

It has put a lot of detail in the shadows for you to play with...

Just walking around with action cameras mounted next to each other now that the sun is out.

Yi 23L with Waffle script versus Git2.
Yi_23L_vs_Git2_1080p60.png

Definitely need a preset for the Git2 to make it less contrasty. Otherwise, liking the camera so far.

I like the sky color better in Git2. Nice place by the way.

Back