GitUp Git2- Support, FAQ, Review

@gitup
Is it possible that we get tag mode for our git up? it would be very usefful

"When an event I want to record happens, I can push a button on the remote and it will save the video 1, 2, 3, 5, or 10 minutes prior to that button press. The user can specify how many minutes before the "tag" to save in the menu options. The camera then continues to record after the tag until the user presses the stop button on the remote."

@gitup
Is it possible that we get tag mode for our git up? it would be very usefful

"When an event I want to record happens, I can push a button on the remote and it will save the video 1, 2, 3, 5, or 10 minutes prior to that button press. The user can specify how many minutes before the "tag" to save in the menu options. The camera then continues to record after the tag until the user presses the stop button on the remote."
You can set it for loop recording and then customise the menu button to make the current file read only when pressed, I think for most people that works better because even if you forget to push the tag button you still probably have the video recorded...

I saw the tag feature on the new xiaomi yi 2 and inmediately wondered if that was the same on the Git2, but it doesn't. I enabled the loop on the Git2 and work really well, since it solve the issue of frame loss between files and you can get a 1 hour file that plays completely smooth. Just be careful to disable loop just in time to avoid accidental file overwrite.

Also as is mentioned above, the customized side button can emulate the tag feature more or less. But i still think the tag mode on the Git2 would be nice also.

"Lo que abunda, no daña."
I thought you like the GoPro Tag idea, if you edit the file in GoPro studio, you can find the tag, it also use the side menu button to TAG.

. I enabled the loop on the Git2 and work really well, since it solve the issue of frame loss between files and you can get a 1 hour file that plays completely smooth. Just be careful to disable loop just in time to avoid accidental file overwrite.
If you're using a big memory card like 64gb, you'll empty several batteries before you come close to overwriting anything in loop mode. I think a 64gb card will hold something like 10 hours of 1080p60 on the git2 at standard bitrate.

@Nigel thanks for the tip :) i will try that

I thought you like the GoPro Tag idea, if you edit the file in GoPro studio, you can find the tag, it also use the side menu button to TAG.

That's quite nice actually, would it work on adobe premiere?

just got the git2 with 4.35mm, anyone know at what distance they focus lens?

love camera but distance shots seem kinda fuzzy.

Does the gyro also influence the quality of photos? Or is it only active on video recording?

Does the gyro also influence the quality of photos? Or is it only active on video recording?
The gyro is only used for video, it stabilises the video image over time. A photo is only a single point in time so using a gyro makes no sense.

just got the git2 with 4.35mm, anyone know at what distance they focus lens?

love camera but distance shots seem kinda fuzzy.
It should be in focus from about 0.8 meters to infinity for the standard lens, I think the 4.35 lens is probably around 1 meter to infinity.

Take a 16MP photo in full sunlight using a tripod or some other solid rest to check the focus, post it up here if you are not sure. There is no point checking focus at night or under indoor lighting, image quality in low light is not great and can be reduced by motion blur and camera shake making it impossible to analyse.

The gyro is only used for video, it stabilises the video image over time. A photo is only a single point in time so using a gyro makes no sense.

Why would image stabilization "make no sense" in still frame, "single point in time" photography? Numerous DSLRs and other still frame cameras use optical or digital image stabilization.

Otherwise, I agree, "gyro" should be turned off when shooting still photos with the Git2.

Why would image stabilization "make no sense" in still frame, "single point in time" photography? Numerous DSLRs and other still frame cameras use optical or digital image stabilization.

Otherwise, I agree, "gyro" should be turned off when shooting still photos with the Git2.
There is no need to turn the gyro off for photo mode on the Git2, the camera does not use it in photo mode whatever it is set to. It is a setting in the video setup menu and does not appear in the photo setup menu. (Unlike the SJ5000 elite where SJ advise you to turn it off every time you want to take a photo.)

With DSLRs and other cameras that use physical optical or sensor stabilisation it does make sense for photos since the stabilisation works during the exposure to reduce blur from camera shake during the exposure. However gyro stabilisation does nothing during the exposure, it works by aligning one exposure with the next exposure to reduce the movement between video frames. Ideally you would have both types of stabilisation for videos but most cameras with sensor stabilisation turn it off for video as it tends to cause various problems, including noise on the audio.

I think the photo cameras that claim to use "digital image stabilization." are just making the claim for marketing purposes and it is normally just increasing the ISO to give a faster exposure and thus less motion blur when turned on - something that would be called "sports mode" in a more serious camera.

It's a while since I read a new review of the Git2, this one even checks compatibility with GoPro cases and appreciates the customised auto exposure lock on menu button function.

Also a bit surprised to see a whole paragraph praising Gitup for not claiming 4K resolution when the camera only provides interpolated 4K - Honesty wins you reputation points in China too :)

http://post.smzdm.com/p/469485/

There is no need to turn the gyro off for photo mode on the Git2, the camera does not use it in photo mode whatever it is set to. It is a setting in the video setup menu and does not appear in the photo setup menu. (Unlike the SJ5000 elite where SJ advise you to turn it off every time you want to take a photo.)

With DSLRs and other cameras that use physical optical or sensor stabilisation it does make sense for photos since the stabilisation works during the exposure to reduce blur from camera shake during the exposure. However gyro stabilisation does nothing during the exposure, it works by aligning one exposure with the next exposure to reduce the movement between video frames. Ideally you would have both types of stabilisation for videos but most cameras with sensor stabilisation turn it off for video as it tends to cause various problems, including noise on the audio.

I think the photo cameras that claim to use "digital image stabilization." are just making the claim for marketing purposes and it is normally just increasing the ISO to give a faster exposure and thus less motion blur when turned on - something that would be called "sports mode" in a more serious camera.

"Gyro" is simply a type of image stabilization among many other methods in use today regardless of efficacy in any given application.

Your long-winded reply to my post is interesting but is completely beside the point as it merely avoids a direct answer to my question. I asked "why would image stabilization "make no sense" in still frame photography? You claim that a "photo is only a single point in time so using a gyro makes no sense". Such a statement clearly implies that image stabilization, regardless of the method is of no value to still photography.

Apparently, you are referring very specifically and semantically to the term "gyro" as it technically applies to this particular camera and I understand that and have no desire for an argument. I merely believe that such blanket statements like "makes no sense".....'in still frame photography' can be misleading to some readers and needs clarification.

Last edited:
Just wondering what Micro SD cards you can use in a Git2, I recently purchased a Samsung 64 G GB Evo micro SD SDXC Class 10 48MB/s UHS-I Galaxy S5 S4 memory card, but the camera does not recognise it!

Did get it from E-bay for A$23!!

The ScanDisk 16GB class 10 works fine.

Your long-winded reply to my post is interesting but is completely beside the point as it merely avoids a direct answer to my question. I asked "why would image stabilization "make no sense" in still frame photography? You claim that a "photo is only a single point in time so using a gyro makes no sense". Such a statement clearly implies that image stabilization, regardless of the method is of no value to still photography.

Apparently, you are referring very specifically and semantically to the term "gyro" as it technically applies to this particular camera and I understand that and have no desire for an argument. I merely believe that such blanket statements like "makes no sense".....'in still frame photography' can be misleading to some readers and needs clarification.

Although you call for exact definition for gyro stabilization and are completely right in that regard that it has applicability both in optical and digital image stabilization, you are also missing the point that "gyro" is referred here in the context what is the purpose of angular velocity sensor in Git2 (and other action video cameras).

Last edited:
Although you call for exact definition for gyro stabilization and are completely right in that regard that it has applicability both in optical and digital image stabilization, you are also missing the point that "gyro" is referred here in the context what is the purpose of angular velocity sensor in Git2 (and other action video cameras).

Well, not quite. What I said was,"Apparently, you are referring very specifically and semantically to the term "gyro" as it technically applies to this particular camera."

Well, not quite. What I said was,"Apparently, you are referring very specifically and semantically to the term "gyro" as it technically applies to this particular camera."

Your argumentation does not make it much clearer if you use terms "gyro" and "image stabilization" in the same meaning as "gyro" is just one technical device used to achieve "image stabilization" as a whole.

Just wondering what Micro SD cards you can use in a Git2, I recently purchased a Samsung 64 G GB Evo micro SD SDXC Class 10 48MB/s UHS-I Galaxy S5 S4 memory card, but the camera does not recognise it!

Did get it from E-bay for A$23!!

The ScanDisk 16GB class 10 works fine.
Samsung Evo cards are good cards, if they are real. I guess that yours is a fake, you can test it with H2testw.exe .

It is probably safer to buy a Samsung Evo+ since they are relatively new and I'm not sure that the fakers have bothered to replicate the packaging yet since they are still getting good sales of the Evo.

I don't understand your language, even after using Google translate on it.

The original question was:

Clearly this is referring to the setting in Git2 video menu labelled "Gyro" which has the options "On" and "Off". This is a thread about the Git2 so the technical operation of DSLR photo cameras is off topic and is not what the question was about. If you wish to discuss all the different types of stabilisation used by different types and brands of photo and video camera then start a new thread in the Off Topic sub forum, most of it will be irrelevant to Git2 users since the Git2 has a fixed sensor and fixed lens so no stabilisation is done until after the exposure is complete, totally different to the sensor stabilisation found in DSLR photo cameras where the stabilisation is done by physical movement of the sensor during the exposure.

I don't understand your language, even after using Google translate on it.

The original question was:

Clearly this is referring to the setting in Git2 video menu labelled "Gyro" which has the options "On" and "Off". This is a thread about the Git2 so the technical operation of DSLR photo cameras is off topic and is not what the question was about. If you wish to discuss all the different types of stabilisation used by different types and brands of photo and video camera then start a new thread in the Off Topic sub forum, most of it will be irrelevant to Git2 users since the Git2 has a fixed sensor and fixed lens so no stabilisation is done until after the exposure is complete, totally different to the sensor stabilisation found in DSLR photo cameras where the stabilisation is done by physical movement of the sensor during the exposure.

Gyro is simply a form of image stabilization regardless of whether it is achieved on a solid state device or mechanically and regardless of whether it is used in still photography or video. Of course, we've already been over this and I made the reason for my post very clear regarding your original statement.

Gyro is simply a form of image stabilization regardless of whether it is achieved on a solid state device or mechanically and regardless of whether it is used in still photography or video. Of course, we've already been over this and I made the reason for my post very clear regarding your original statement.

Like being said, it's clearly an off-topic debate, but gyro is not exactly "a form of image stabilization" but a technical device which measures differentiated angural velocity. It does not create any sort of image stabilization by itself. As you already know it perfectly well, the data provided by the gyro sensor can be used as aid to stabilise still images (usually by moving the optics or the image sensor) or digitally in relation from one video frame to another. Here, in this context, it has applicability only in the latter meaning.

Back