GS8000

Only a fool would buy a GS8000, I mean seriously, and I gave it two chances being so impressed with the design and function whilst it actually worked, and while it worked is exactly why you would be a fool, they don't last sadly.

For the other suckers lik me who already have one (well a dead one) I hope to have found a fix to bring it back to life, will update when parts arrive and I can test it properly.

That $55 GS8000 is likely a Novatek one. Quality won't be as good as the Ambarella A2S70.

DashCamMan said:
That $55 GS8000 is likely a Novatek one. Quality won't be as good as the Ambarella A2S70.
It is a Novatek. It's listed under solution under the information in the listing. Also notice the L in the product name.

A few days ago for me it looks like the SD card slot on my real GS8000 is acting up. It records OK if i take the micro SD card out and use the cameras internal memory, but will only record for around 1 minute on 720P and a few seconds on 1080P and then come up SD card error, but does not come back with an error during the format of the card with the camera only recording. So unless it is a problem with my class 10 ultra card it looks like my GS8000 may have also joined the growing number of duds.

avneet said:
Awesome thanks. Guess I'll be ordering this or the GS1000 at the end of the month after comparing them some more.

Don't buy the GS8000 as it is sort of total crap. Of course the ones on the forum are the ones complaining but there doesn't seem to be one single happy customer here. Overheating and freezing every time in 5-20 minutes as stated previously.

And from another thread a video proof, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJC7qAkLv6c

Last edited by a moderator:
New external battery and holder ordered, will solder it up and test when it arrives.

Halo i'm new but i have suffered from these GS8000.
After update to V1.0.9 G82A K it wasn't able to start, only blue led lights. I have done the firmware downgrade to V1.0.8 G82A K using DirectUsb and i was able to fix it.
1. Download and install DirectUsb.
2. Press reset on the unit, hold the REC and connect to the computer.
3. Computer should identify the device and you have to install the driver, click custom install drivers and set path to folder with the program C:/Program Files/Ambarella/DirectUSB
4. After a successful installation, start DirectUSB and press Connect (DirectUsb shoud detect your camera and status have to be OK)
5. Press: a2s_1Gb (someone may use a2bub) DRAM: 216MHz
6. Next, click the button "Erase Flash" he clears the memory of the current firmware
7. Go to the tab "Download", select "Firmware Programming", click "Choose" and set the path to the firmware extension. Elf
8. In the right panel click "Download"
9. During flashing,LED will change from red to blue (purple)
10. After DirectUSB write Done , press reset and then take out the cable.
11. Once the cable is disconnected again hit reset, format the card twice and this will hopefully reset the menu to the factory default settings.

About the overheating i suggest disassembling it and making holes like this guy here also making some radiators on the chip for better cooling. I thing removing the battery,turning off the display and GPS will improve freezing problem

cheers Vergil From Bulgaria

Attachments

• 3705864.jpg
    3705864.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 464
  • post-296009-0-84242700-1368655725_thumb.jpg
    post-296009-0-84242700-1368655725_thumb.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 464
test where begin overheat on gs8000?
null_zpsa944ff23-1_zpsc7368497.jpg

hello,

i have some problems with the GS8000 Camera bougth from foxoffer in february 2013. The first 3 weeks everything worked great.
But in the last weeks the camera lost serveral times his settings and shows crazy dates like Year 2160 January 1 2 o'clock...
I tried, to disable the G-Sensor in settings, done a factory reset... nothing helped. After about 2 days sill the same problems with wrong dates...
On my GS8000 is the V1.0.8 G82A K Firmware.

Is there a solution for this bugs?

elbast said:

if there is some freezing or random shutdowns related to problems then there is no solution. It is just the poor quality of gs8000. As stated, crap.

No response from Foxoffer either.

I had the same date/time problem when having the GPS on, Turn off and unplug the GPS and the date/time stays good. But since weather turned hot I am having the overheating problem now like others have had.

kengu said:
elbast said:

if there is some freezing or random shutdowns related to problems then there is no solution. It is just the poor quality of gs8000. As stated, crap.

No response from Foxoffer either.

no, i dont have frezzing or random shutdowns... maybe the build in lipo is defect, so the cam forgets the settings.

i wonder if a mini heatsink would fit, if so couple of these and holes in the case might solve the overheating problem. had no issues in winter time, now i drive for 10 minutes in hot weather and it freezes

$(KGrHqZ,!iIE++MR-KsZBQLwMOT8sg~~60_3.JPG

The problem(s) might not be only overheating as I have problems turning gs8000 on in a garage with reasonable temperature. The flickering screen could be some poor soldering and that all related to everything.

Marcus said:
I have figured out (99%) anyway why our GS8000's are failing.

It is the battery packs, cheap nasty things, the constant charging cycle causes the battery to overheat and then overheat the circuit board which it sits directly against.

I de-soldered the batter pack and soldered a new same voltage pack from a Nokia phone and left the battery wired up externally, need to test more but my previously troublesome GS8000 is showing signs it may live again.

Will update with news when I have time to test further.

Marcus or anyone else, Do you have the nokia battery number or link to it that fits the GS8000.

DONS459 said:
Marcus or anyone else, Do you have the nokia battery number or link to it that fits the GS8000.

No Nokia battery fits inside the camera as the battery inside is the size of 1/4 of cell phone battery. It is some ~150mAh, 3.7V lithium or likes.

db04ph said:
i wonder if a mini heatsink would fit, if so couple of these and holes in the case might solve the overheating problem. had no issues in winter time, now i drive for 10 minutes in hot weather and it freezes

$(KGrHqZ,!iIE++MR-KsZBQLwMOT8sg~~60_3.JPG

The heating chips are behind the screen facing the back of the screen so you would have to drill holes to the screen or get rid of the screen in order to install those heatsinks. So this one is not going to be a working solution. See the photos some messages up.

Well my theory worked out.

I bought......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181109719609? ... 1439.l2649

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370529595315? ... 1439.l2649

Stripped down the cam and soldered some new wire to the external power source, now the motherboard of the cam does not overheat and cause cam to shut down and fail, which is exactly what was happening to the cheap piece of rubbish internal battery after repeated charging cycles.

Going to hook up something nice so the external batter power lead runs back down the cigar lighter power plug so it retains a single cord effect, keep things tidy.

Have done a 1hr stability test no problems so far.

Obviously need to do a long term test but signs are very positive, and I am very happy as you can imagine !!!

Will put this spare now resurrected GS8000 in my personal car and keep my BlackVue for work in the trucks.

Will update if it all goes wrong again, don't want to breed false hope !!

Any updates on whether an external battery solves the problem?
I was also wondering if a better battery might do the trick
Thanks for any information on that.

Back