Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange. You're responding to a lunatic "assaulting" and/or attempting to murder people, and packing heat doesn't appear to be one's first choice? I guess police thought they'd ask the perpetrator nicely to put down his bow and arrow. Because lunatics are rational people who listen to reason....

So much for that "...rapid access to guns..." eh?!
Well it is better than instant access to guns, as in the USA:

Police in the United States kill far more people than do police in other advanced industrial democracies.
The average lifetime odds of being killed by police are about 1 in 2,000 for men and about 1 in 33,000 for women.
Risk is highest for black men, who (at current levels of risk) face about a 1 in 1,000 chance of being killed by police over the life course.
Among 20YO African American men, 1.5% of deaths are caused by police use of force.

Just more of your BS anti-USA propaganda. Of the 362 USA law enforcement officers who died in 2021, 234 died of COVID-19, 45 were shot to death by criminals, there were 4 stabbings, others died in car accidents and vehicular assaults, of heart attacks, and a variety of other mishaps. A few have died in storms.

Your link to UK police deaths since 1900, which you claim as evidence to make your case omits those who died in traffic collisions, the more than 300 officers of the former Royal Ulster Constabulary and Police Service of Northern Ireland who were killed during the Troubles in Northern Ireland and other causes.

You might also consider the population differences between the USA and the UK something you often ignore. The United States only had 76 million people in 1900 compared to nearly 340 million today. The population of the United Kingdom hasn’t even doubled during this period growing from 38 million (which includes Ireland) to 64 million today. Your police force is tiny by comparison to the number of LEOs in the US. The UK has about 120,000 police officers compared to nearly 700,000 in the US.

Last edited:
Just more of your BS anti-USA propaganda. Of the 362 USA law enforcement officers who died in 2021, 234 died of COVID-19, 45 were shot to death by criminals, there were 4 stabbings, others died in car accidents and vehicular assaults, of heart attacks, and a variety of other mishaps. A few have died in storms.
What do the statistics say when looking to find out how many unarmed people were shot by the police here?

Well it is better than instant access to guns, as in the USA:

Yeah. Ask those 5 dead Norwegians and your own MP David Arness how they feel about that. What's that, you say? They can't respond because they're DEAD?

Side note, they're calling it a "terrorist attack" because some 25-year old Somali immigrant did it, mainly to deflect attention away from your society's complete and utter inability to control violent crime. Not to mention your complete and utter inability to vet those you choose to allow to immigrate from third world ****holes.

I've always believed that countries whose cops walk around unarmed and their citizens who are proud of that fact are nothing but virtue-signaling pansies. The message being: "Look at us! There's no violent crime here, our cops don't even need to carry guns!" And that's bull****. We know it, and you know it. And your cops know it.

In fact, it's the countries like yours who heavily restrict and/or completely ban firearms that continue to prove the truth behind the old saw "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." You do what people like you always do: Trot old the old "Guns are bad, they're designed <gasp> to kill! If we just get rid of them, problem solved!! Yay!!" (How's that idiot London mayor's knife ban working out, by the way?)

No. Nothing could be further from the truth. You fail, as does everyone who tries to use that argument, to comprehend that the saying is a metaphor for the evil that lurks in the hearts of men. Killers will always find a way to kill. They don't need guns. They're just as happy using knives, bows and arrows, anthrax, or sarin gas in subways.

Wolves will always prey on the sheep. Disarming their victims in no way makes societies safer. No society that's ever allowed their politicians to disarm them has rid themselves of violent crime. If fact, statistics and events prove again and again that just the opposite happens. Every US state that has loosened restrictions on firearm ownership and carry has seen violent crime rates drop precipitously.

Luckily, for every wolf out there, we have thousands of sheepdogs. At least in America. At least for now. If you just read that and you know what I'm talking about: <Woof> right back atcha.

I almost feel sorry for you and folks like you in countries like the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and others who fall for your government's anti-firearm rhetoric. Almost, I said, because you allowed this to happen to yourselves, and you're too lazy to search out the truth and too nutless to take back your right to defend yourselves. You got the government (and the crime) that you elected and deserve.

You continue to cling to the delusion that for just a few (hundred million) more in your tax funds every year, we can finally stamp out this scourge of violent crime! You think that your governments passing more and more laws that do nothing except restrict your own rights and freedoms will have an effect on violent crime, global warming, or any other societal woe.

Newsflash: Your government--like mine--can't even effectively stop a telemarketer. Laws are only effective against the law-abiding, which criminals--by definition--are not. Shocker, right?!

Reminds me of another old saw frequently attributed to a famous son of my own home state: "There's a sucker born every minute."

And "National Academy of Sciences?" You're gonna throw anti-American liberal thinktank research at me?! Please. Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself. Next time you wanna try to flex on an American, at least take the time to find a source that's not nationally known for it's anti-firearm bias. You might as well throw CDC, brady campaign, or karens demand action talking points at me.

The truth is out there and easily findable if you're interested. Most people like you aren't though, because if you were, you'd have made the effort to find it already. Because of that fact, I rarely try to educate the ignorant anymore. Since you likely have no option other than to suckle on the CNN and BBC teat though, I'll give you a couple of pointers:

https://crimeresearch.org/

https://www.gunfacts.info/

Educate yourself.

Last edited:
I almost feel sorry for you and folks like you in countries like the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and others who fall for your government's anti-firearm rhetoric. Almost, I said, because you allowed this to happen to yourselves, and you're too lazy to search out the truth and too nutless to take back your right to defend yourselves. You got the government (and the crime) that you elected and deserve.
It wasn't our government that decided to ban our guns, it was the public that demanded the government ban them, and when the government only banned the automatic killing machines, the public demanded a handgun ban too, which they got. After that the death toll from guns plumited:

1634489087096.png

Yeah. Ask those 5 dead folks
And you can ask the 38,300 people in the USA who died from gun inflicted wounds in 2019.

It wasn't our government that decided to ban our guns, it was the public that demanded the government ban them, and when the government only banned the automatic killing machines, the public demanded a handgun ban too, which they got. After that the death toll from guns plumited:

View attachment 58659

And you can ask the 38,300 people in the USA who died from gun inflicted wounds in 2019.

Your source for that graph? And for your statement about the public's desire to ban guns? It's a non-sequitur anyway, since firearms are so heavily restricted there. Of course their involvement in crime will go down. Doesn't stop the crime though.

See how that works? Of course you don't.

And, as expected, your response and the literally 10 minutes it took you to post it indicate that you didn't bother to look at any of the data that I provided. No big surprise. You don't want to comprehend, you just want to retort.

Just further reinforcing my thought on trying to educate the ignorant being a total waste of time.

Last edited:

How many of those deaths were from suicide? How many of those deaths were related to crime?

I don’t think banning guns is going to keep people from committing suicide and committing crimes.

How many of those deaths were from suicide? How many of those deaths were related to crime?

I don’t think banning guns is going to keep people from committing suicide and committing crimes.

It won't, and it's been proven not to.

Look through the links I posted.

A lot were suicides, but when you have an easy to use suicide tool in your bedside cabinet, you are far more likely to use it than if you don't have any easy way of doing it! Can't play Russian Roulette either, or have accidental shootings, which of course quite a lot of those were.

Of course banning guns doesn't stop all suicides or all crime, but it does avoid some, and the crimes that continue are far less likely to end in a death or a police shooting of the criminal, or of a family member who mistakenly became a suspected criminal.

If you ban guns then people can turn to knifes or bows and arrows or poison or whatever, but many people who will happily kill with a gun will not be prepared to kill using other methods. In movies good guys have guns, the real baddies use poison, but they are all killers!

A lot were suicides, but when you have an easy to use suicide tool in your bedside cabinet, you are far more likely to use it than if you don't have any easy way of doing it!
I have a rope, a chair, a sword, and knives all close to my bed (theoretically). I have a car I can crash into a bridge abutment or a huge old tree at over 100mph (160KMH). Most items we see are potential suicide tools including bare electric wires as electrocution is always an option.

If someone is determined to commit suicide they can not be stopped. They can always go to a cliff and walk off the edge to fall to their death or rent a boat to get into the middle of a large body of water so after jumping into the water they will drown.

A lot were suicides, but when you have an easy to use suicide tool in your bedside cabinet, you are far more likely to use it than if you don't have any easy way of doing it! Can't play Russian Roulette either, or have accidental shootings, which of course quite a lot of those were.

Of course banning guns doesn't stop all suicides or all crime, but it does avoid some, and the crimes that continue are far less likely to end in a death or a police shooting of the criminal, or of a family member who mistakenly became a suspected criminal.

If you ban guns then people can turn to knifes or bows and arrows or poison or whatever, but many people who will happily kill with a gun will not be prepared to kill using other methods. In movies good guys have guns, the real baddies use poison, but they are all killers!

100% speculation on your part on every one of these points.

And the data I've already presented proves it.

But like every brainwashed liberal, you just can't let go of how you feel things should be and actually look at the truth data.

Last edited:
100% speculation on your part on every one of these points.

And the data I've already presented proves it.

But like every brainwashed liberal, you just can't let go of how you feel things should be and actually look at the truth data.
I guess what you are saying is that to further improve safety, the USA needs even more guns, then it will be the safest place in the world?

Except that the USA already has most of the worlds guns, so why isn't it already by far the safest place in the world?
U.S. civilians own about 46 percent of the worldwide total of civilian held firearms.

I guess what you are saying is that to further improve safety, the USA needs even more guns, then it will be the safest place in the world?

Except that the USA already has most of the worlds guns, so why isn't it already by far the safest place in the world?

No, you're saying that.

Do you keep changing the focus, putting words in other people's mouths, asking new questions, answering questions with questions, and spouting random opinions unsupported by data in every conversation you have?

That's a rhetorical question.

You must drive your poor wife nuts.

Do you keep changing the focus, putting words in other people's mouths, asking new questions, answering questions with questions, and spouting random opinions unsupported by data in every conversation you have?
He only does that when he doesn't have a fact based answer. Oh, wait, that is every conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back