HELP NEEDED PLEASE!

FF323.5

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone,

I've been doing A LOT of research on dash cams and I cant seem to find the right one that's in my price range.

Here's my situation...
My boyfriend is a Police Officer and just started a second part time job with another police department. None of their cars have dash cams... anyway long story short his birthday is in 2 weeks and he's been talking about getting one for work. My budget is about $250. Can anyone give me some advice on a good cam that is good during the day and night?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!

The Vico TF2 and WF1 are two of the best cameras you can buy.
The WF1 is a newer release and has some advantages and disadvantages.

The WF1 offers....
Smaller size due to no screen.
Uses a Micro SD card
Better quality from a Bit rate stand point. (WF1 is around 10.14 TF2 9.17)
Voice Prompts
One button on entire unit.
Able to link with iOS and Android device to line up and copy recorded video via Vico Viewer app
iOS seems to be well supported with newest iOS version
Event Record button capturing and locking the first and last 30 seconds of when the button was pressed and keeping it from being over written.

The WF1 falls short on...
Just released recently bugs still exist.
Night quality is no where near as good as TF2 model
Android support is not all the way there yet. Works on Galaxy S2 but not S4 or Tab 10.1
Lane Departure feature is a bit useless
No Vico Schedule to turn WDR on and off
No GPS

The TF2 offers....
A screen
Great day time and night time recording thanks to Wide Dynamic Range and Vico schedule because WDR helps night time but hurts day time recording. I think it looks better then the WF1 even though the Bit Rate on the WF1 is higher.
Event Record button capturing and locking the first and last 30 seconds of when the button was pressed and keeping it from being over written.
Dedicated Mute button to mute private conversations
Handles hot and cold temperature well
Uses a full sized SD Card

The TF2 falls shot on
No WiFi so when you want to take a video off to save you have to pull out the SD card
No GPS
Having the screen makes it a little larger in size, but not horrible

Having used both Cameras i recommend getting a TF2 until more things with the WF1 are sorted out. If you are an Apple user App support should not be a problem, but at this time while Vico did make some enhancements to the quality of the WF1 recently I still believe the TF2 looks a lot better day and night.

I'd probably go with the model with screen for reasons of practicality, it's a bit cheaper too which is a plus

I agree. The TF2 is your best bet. Suction mount, screen and reasonable price. I would imagine he doesn't care about size or require GPS.

Yet another vote for the TF2+ and getting it from a US supplier for your 2 week deadline is a no brainer. Don't debate, go for it.

I'm a new Vicovation owner. The WF1 has some fun/easy to use "wow" factor with it's SmartPhone WiFi capability, but the Night recordings are nowhere near "WDR" level from my initial testing. (they are ok, but not great)

I'm told the WF1 I received was an early Beta model, so I have a new WF1 on the way. (hopefully night recordings are improved, i'll post a review after it arrives)

I have some recordings I made in my friends plane too if you check the Vicovation section.
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/vicovation.25/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm told the WF1 I received was an early Beta model, so I have a new WF1 on the way. (hopefully night recordings are improved, i'll post a review after it arrives)
I brought mine from retail and rather recently and while I hate to be a downer my night recording is about the same as the one you posted but I hope there's a possibility it could be improved

I brought mine from retail and rather recently and while I hate to be a downer my night recording is about the same as the one you posted but I hope there's a possibility it could be improved

Bummer, well at least the new WF1 will have the latest batch of parts. I'll do a side by side video comparison and see if I can notice anything different.

Bummer, well at least the new WF1 will have the latest batch of parts. I'll do a side by side video comparison and see if I can notice anything different.
Bought mine from.SpyTec arived maybe a few weeks ago if that. Never the less looking forward to your comparison. If they get the WF1 on par with the TF2 it would be an amazing camera

Tracking says the new WF1 arrived! It's either in my secure mailbox (I'll go look shortly), or will arrive tomorrow. (excellent)

StatusDateTimeName of post office
Arrival at incoming officeOct/30/2013 12:40 AMC SAN FRANCISCO U.S.A.
Customs inspectionOct/30/2013 12:40 AMC SAN FRANCISCO U.S.A.
Departure from incoming officeOct/31/2013 08:15 AMC SAN FRANCISCO U.S.A.

Tracking says the new WF1 arrived! It's either in my secure mailbox (I'll go look shortly), or will arrive tomorrow. (excellent)
The only thing more exciting then getting a new camera in the mail is getting a big project on the car done (at least for me) :)

I wish i would of checked my Firmware before updating my camera, but i couldn't. That might be a small indication maybe your beta came with a slightly older firmware and this one already has one of the updated firmwares from the Vico site.

The only thing more exciting then getting a new camera in the mail is getting a big project on the car done (at least for me) :)

I wish i would of checked my Firmware before updating my camera, but i couldn't. That might be a small indication maybe your beta came with a slightly older firmware and this one already has one of the updated firmwares from the Vico site.

Mine originally had version 0.9X (something) I confirmed anything before V 1.0 was beta. (could have been an early trade show sample etc) I had trouble updating but they had me rename it to a special name and then it took. I'm now on the latest.

StatusDateTimeName of post office
Arrival at incoming officeOct/30/2013 12:40 AMC SAN FRANCISCO U.S.A.
Customs inspectionOct/30/2013 12:40 AMC SAN FRANCISCO U.S.A.
Departure from incoming officeOct/31/2013 08:15 AMC SAN FRANCISCO U.S.A.

Never mind looks like they (EMS) tried to deliver it while I wasn't home.

Arrival at delivery officeNov/01/2013 07:43
Attempted delivery(1st)Nov/01/2013 10:55
Reason for non-deliveryAddressee not available at delivery

I'm not familiar with the delivery company EMS. (looks like it's USPS once it gets here) I didn't get a notice on the door even. It shows they will make a 2nd attempt at least.

Good day! Vico great , you should use this link:
http://www.wolfcomusa.com/
The police will be interested in this option.
In Russia this DVR is called Каркам Q4,can operate autonomously to 4часов,nightly record will be weaker Vico,the day on a high level.

Back