Kingston MobileLite Wireless Memory Card Reader £18

russ331

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius B (x2) & A119
I received this today. Bargain at £17.99 ...

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Memory-Ca...ston-MobileLite-Wireless-Memory-Card-Reader?=

Basic features:
  • Unlimited Access — to your existing SD and USB storage from your mobile device
  • Multiple Users — up to three different movies to three different devices at the same time
  • Battery Backup — use the built-in battery to charge your phone and keep you mobile
  • Wireless — share files quickly and easily using Wi-Fi
Works with Android & IOS devices. I downloaded the free MobileLite IOS App to my iPad4 (running IOS7) & followed the instructions.

I then removed the MicroSD card from my Mobius. Inserted it into the SD Card adapter supplied with the MobileLite, & inserted that into the MobileLite. Within seconds the .mov files were playing on my iPad. No stuttering or hesitation, really smooth playback.

Review... http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/external-hard-drives/1301113/kingston-mobilelite-wireless

Similar, possibly better, devices are available, but are much more expensive.

Apple can now stick their £25 photo connection kit up their arse. For £7 less I've got a far more versatile device.

Last edited:
I received this today. Bargain at £17.99 ...

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Memory-Ca...ston-MobileLite-Wireless-Memory-Card-Reader?=

Basic features:
  • Unlimited Access — to your existing SD and USB storage from your mobile device
  • Multiple Users — up to three different movies to three different devices at the same time
  • Battery Backup — use the built-in battery to charge your phone and keep you mobile
  • Wireless — share files quickly and easily using Wi-Fi
Works with Android & IOS devices. I downloaded the MobileLite IOS App to my iPad4 & followed the instructions.

I then removed the MicroSD card from my Mobius. Inserted it into the SD Card adapter supplied with the MobileLite. Within seconds the .mov files were playing on my iPad. No stuttering or hesitation, really smooth playback.

Review... http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/external-hard-drives/1301113/kingston-mobilelite-wireless

Similar, possibly better, devices are available, but are much more expensive.

Apple can now stick their £25 photo connection kit up their arse. For £7 less I've got a far more versatile device

LOL @ your "note" to Apple :D

Damn! I've already bought one of those overpriced Apple Lightning to SD Card Camera adapters just a couple of months ago. Now I want one of these! I totally hate you Russ! You keep finding stuff like this. :p

Yeahh, we all "hate" you russ :p ;)

Damn! I've already bought one of those overpriced Apple Lightning to SD Card Camera adapters just a couple of months ago. Now I want one of these! I totally hate you Russ! You keep finding stuff like this. :p
They can be had right now for $29.99 on Amazon. I checked it out at Staples and they actually matched the price, so I bought it. So far so good, great for watching video from the Mobius wirelessly. I will report more as I learn more.

I plugged in the SD card from my compact digital camera. The Kingston MobileLight App recognised the .jpg photos, but wouldn't play the .avi video clips.

So I wondered if any other Apps already installed in my iPad would play the .avi video?

VLC crashed every time I attempted to play .avi files. It wasn't too impressive with .mov files either, with jerky playback.

MoliPlayer HD was a revelation. The .avi files played perfectly, and it outperformed the Kingston MobileLight App for .mov file playback.

At the end of each 3 minute Mobius video clip, MoliPlayer automatically starts playing the next clip. Clicking on >> skips 30 seconds forwards in the clip, and >| jumps to the start of the next clip. The MobileLight App doesn't have these features.

.....Apple can now stick their £25 photo connection kit up their arse. For £7 less I've got a far more versatile device.
Do you think Apple ought to rename theirs "iSuppository" and sell it with "iJelly" for easy insertion??!:p

Nice find by the way!;)

I plugged in the SD card from my compact digital camera. The Kingston MobileLight App recognised the .jpg photos, but wouldn't play the .avi video clips.

So I wondered if any other Apps already installed in my iPad would play the .avi video?

VLC crashed every time I attempted to play .avi files. It wasn't too impressive with .mov files either, with jerky playback.

MoliPlayer HD was a revelation. The .avi files played perfectly, and it outperformed the Kingston MobileLight App for .mov file playback.

At the end of each 3 minute Mobius video clip, MoliPlayer automatically starts playing the next clip. Clicking on >> skips 30 seconds forwards in the clip, and >| jumps to the start of the next clip. The MobileLight App doesn't have these features.
I had to update the firmware to get it playing on my iPad 2. Last night I found the performance buggy between both Android and IOS, so more testing is planned. Mobius files load perfect yet slow on both platforms. Using MX Player on android allows you to use the software decoder and hear sound from native Mobius files which normally on the Android player isn't possible.

A drawback of the Kingston MobileLight App for IOS is that while you can download video to the App, you cannot open the file in any other Apps.

I've found at least two Apps on my iPad that get around this... Documents (by Readdle) & GoodReader. Video can be downloaded to either of these two Apps, from which the video can be opened / saved in many other Apps, e.g. Pinnacle Studio.

Update: streaming from my iPad 2 is smooth and I'm happy with the performance and especially the range of the wifi signal. I can access my Mobilelite from another floor without interruption.

With Android 4.4.2 the video (MP4) is basically unplayable using either the stock Galaxy S5 player or MX Player. The .MOV files out of the Mobius play with sound using MX Player, yet is sometimes slow to load. Time to test more formats, players and see why.

Update: streaming from my iPad 2 is smooth and I'm happy with the performance and especially the range of the wifi signal. I can access my Mobilelite from another floor without interruption.

I was going to ask about the WiFi range on this thing. Thanks for answering my question GJHS! The range makes for some useful dash cam related capabilities for viewing in or near a car. In fact, I wonder if you can pick up a signal from the device if you are standing near a vehicle with the windows closed.

How's your working for you? I have recently used mine to transfer files from a 1TB USB hard drive to my android phone. It worked flawlessly and I'm really happy with it.

I have also used it to view my Mobius videos on my iPad, which again worked flawlessly.

I found a brand new one of these on an eBay auction just the other day with only one bid at 20 dollars USD. I watched the auction for the next thirteen hours and actually dragged myself out of bed at 12:45 AM just before the auction ended to discover that it still only had one bid! So, I went to place a bid on the thing and at that exact moment my internet connection dropped out!! Arrgh!! This has been happening every few days for the last several weeks and my ISP seems at a loss to know how to remedy this so far but they claim to be gaining on it. I told them they owe me a Kensington Mobile Lite! So today, I was heartened to see Russ post about the price drop so I tried again. The seller boasts "worldwide" shipping. That is, it turns out, "except Africa, Asia, Central America and Caribbean, Middle East, North America, Oceania, South East Asia, South America".......pretty much everywhere but Europe. Worldwide shipping indeed! Rats!!

So, I just returned home from a visit to a local Big Box store where I happened upon a similar product, about half the size of the Kensington with the same capabilities made by some no-name company; about 40 bucks. I wasn't previously aware that these WiFi card readers are actually a category unto itself and the Kensington is not quite as unique a device I thought it was. Interesting! I think I'll probably still keep my eye out for a good deal on the Kensington though and compared to the others it seems a good value at any rate.

Amazon Link for WiFi card readers, etc.

Last edited:
We found this new development half year before,
Once had idea to optimize it for sport camera and dash cam which without WiFi function.
Gave it up due to could not down it size to be small enough.

The one I saw at a Walmart today was surprisingly small, about 3 x 3 inches.

3x3", We could reach that size at that moment,
It still was bigger than INNOVV C1,
Not convenient when you need to carry it with action/dashcam.

Back