Memory Cards Confirmed Working/Not Working?

Looks like VIOFO has maxed out theax bitrate setting too high.
VIOFO set the normal bitrate.
In conclusion: i will NOT buy or try another card. Simply stupid design of the A229 DUO. IMHO Viofo has to come with a solution. Everybody is trying to fi d a suitable card. Better look for another cam.
Where is the logic?
You have problems with the memory card, and the DVR is to blame.

I have been able to reproduce the stopping this afternoon. At 2ch max bitrate the recordings keep stopping at exactly 48seconds. Every time again and again at 48sec. At high bitrates it also stops sometimes after a couple of loop recordings.

Looks like VIOFO has maxed out theax bitrate setting too high.

In conclusion: i will NOT buy or try another card. Simply stupid design of the A229 DUO. IMHO Viofo has to come with a solution. Everybody is trying to fi d a suitable card. Better look for another cam.
Hello Kenza,
I would like to offer my worthless opinion before you throw your A229 down a flight of stairs in a fit of frustration. I’ve been testing / using an A229 Duo since July 23, 2022. I do not believe your issue is caused by the SD Card, Bitrate Setting, or the A229 Dash Cam itself.

Based on my power consumption testing the A229 is “power hungry” compared to other dash cams I’ve tested. During testing I discovered two “power starvation” malfunctions by accident. When I first receive a dash cam I run it off a power bank on my work bench to verify everything works before I install it in my car. I have two different power banks. One has a rated output of 5 Volts 1 Amp, and the other has a rated output of 5 Volts 2.4 Amps. By luck the 1 Amp power bank was on my work bench, and I discovered half the time the A229 would boot up, and start recording as normal, other times the red power LED would illuminate, and the camera would shut off, and begin an endless start up / shut off loop. I tried using the A229 with my 2.4A power bank and start up & operation was 100% reliable. This must be why the supplied Viofo cigarette power adapter also has an output rating of 5 Volts 2.4 Amps.

After I got that sorted, I installed the A229 in my car. Since I just completed testing the A119 Mini, I decided to remove the A119 Mini, and install the A229 at the same location on the windshield. Since I already had the USB Type-C cable from the A119 Mini installed, and routed behind my headliner, and panel trim I decided to use the same cable. Guess what? When I connected the A229 to power using the USB Type-C from the A119 Mini it started the same endless power up / power down loop. After closer inspection the USB Type-C cable included with the A229 is 20AWG. The A119 is only 22AWG. The thinner gauge wire used by the A119 Mini was causing power starvation endless loop.

So why am I telling you this?
I’m assuming you are using the Viofo HK4 Hardwire Kit to power your A229.
Here’s the part where I start jumping to conclusions. I willing to bet dollars to donuts your car is newer than 2005, and you have the Battey + (constant hot red wire) of the hardwire kit connected to a fuse that is on a circuit that has a power fluctuation while the car parked, and the A229 is operating in parking mode. Usually cars made after 2005 have a more sophisticated OBD2 system with up to 200 different modules that take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour to “fall asleep”. And some modules stay permanently active. OBD2 systems in cars from 1996 - 2005 were much simpler, and only had one or two modules.

So how can we diagnose if this “module power fluctuation” is the cause of your A229 recording malfunction?
Well, if it were my car I would connect my multimeter (Amps) in the circuit that is powering the hardwire kit, (red wire) and shut the car off to enable A229 parking mode, and then monitor my multimeter for one hour looking for power fluctuations that correlate to a recording malfunction of the A229. But I doubt you have an hour to waste like that. So it might be a good idea to remove the red wire from the fuse box, and temporarily connect it directly to the positive terminal of the battery, (with an inline 5 Amp fuse of course) and monitor for malfunctions just as you have been. If there are no more malfunctions, that was the cause, and you need to re-connect the red wire to a “constant hot” fuse that does not have power fluctuations. If the malfunctions continue everything I just wrote was a waste of time. Lol
-Chuck

Attachments

• 5 .jpg
    5 .jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 1 .png
    1 .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 7 .jpg
    7 .jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 6 .jpg
    6 .jpg
    996.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Hardwire Kit .jpg
    Hardwire Kit .jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 4 .jpg
    4 .jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 3 .jpg
    3 .jpg
    418 KB · Views: 5
  • 2 .png
    2 .png
    336.6 KB · Views: 5
VIOFO set the normal bitrate.

Where is the logic?
You have problems with the memory card, and the DVR is to blame.
I don't think this is an issue with his memory card.
Samsung PRO Endurance is a highly rated card. As long as he bought the card from a credible source, it is reliable.

It's likely a problem with his specific A229 unit, or maybe Viofo A229 does not like this card. This is another person that has an issue with this card/A229 combo.
The other person is an experienced Viofo tester and also posted his issue in this thread.

This card is recommended by VIOFO as you can see below. Both of them got the 256GB version of Samsung PRO Endurance.

1665713228515.png

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be nice if @viofo @VIOFO-Support included a $20 32GB Viofo SD Card with every dash cam for set up, diagnostic purposes, and to install firmware updates?
I would not be upset if they raised the price of every dash cam by $20 to pay for the inclusion.
Once the customer confirms & verifies the dash cam is functioning properly in their given application, and instalation scenario then they could think about buying a larger 256GB card.
-Chuck

Attachments

• 32GB $20 .png
    32GB $20 .png
    326.4 KB · Views: 4
Wouldn't it be nice if @viofo @VIOFO-Support included a $20 32GB Viofo SD Card with every dash cam for set up, diagnostic purposes, and to install firmware updates?
I would not be upset if they raised the price of every dash cam by $20 to pay for the inclusion.
Once the customer confirms & verifies the dash cam is functioning properly in their given application, and instalation scenario then they could think about buying a larger 256GB card.
-Chuck
Not at all.
This might help new people, but for experienced users and those of us that already have several of these cards lying around in higher capacities of endurance models this would be an unnecessary additional cost.
The equivalent $20 "32GB Viofo" card can be bought on Amazon for cheaper. Both 32GB Samsung PRO Endurance and 32GB SanDisk High Endurance retails for $9.99 or less on Amazon.
I already have 3x 256GB endurance cards(2x SanDisk High Endurance + 1 Samsung PRO Endurance arriving tomorrow), and 1x 64GB endurance card(SanDisk High Endurance). I don't need another card for troubleshooting, especially when I only have 1 dashcam.

It should be their responsibility to confirm and verify that the dashcam is functioning properly before they pack it in the box for the customer.

It should be their responsibility to confirm and verify that the dashcam is functioning properly before they pack it in the box for the customer.
Yes, of course that’s true. But that wasn’t what I meant.

Some recording malfunctions are due to improper installation.
Examples of this are incorrect installation of a hardwire kit.

Sometimes people use a longer, or different USB power cable than the one included.
Sometimes people use a different USB power adapter.
Both of these can lead to power starvation issues.

Having a genuine Viofo SD Card can help diagnosis by ruling out electrical connection problems.
-Chuck

This card is recommended by VIOFO as you can see below.
The DVR manufacturer is not responsible for memory card manufacturers. Of all the recommended memory cards, Viofo can only be responsible for his own card from Viofo. If A229 does not work with a card from Viofo, then all claims are against Viofo. Otherwise, you need to look for a problem in the memory card used.
I have a memory card from non-recommended Samsung Evo Plus 128GB that has been working in A119v3 for three years already and there has not been a single freeze during this time even on MOD firmware from "vvs49" with an increased bitrate.

To include or not include a card is a marketing double-edged sword. New people would be thrilled, the person that buys 2 dash cams a year probably would not...unless of course the included card was a 256 gig Samsung Pro Endurance, but the cost of the cam would go up quite a bit if that were the case.

From a manufacturing or vendor viewpoint including a small 4 gig card would be a good idea As long as that card was good. Just enough card to get the camera up and running and to install a new firmware. Wholesale cost to the vendor...maybe 2 or 3 dollars. Still, that would even annoy the person that buys multiple dash cams a year. If you have 3 dash cams in a family and upgrade every year or two, then yes there would be a number of unused cards hanging around. But...would that really hurt anyone?
Yes, but now you will get a lot of complaints and 1 star reviews from new people that the dashcam can only store 1 hour worth of video because those people will be using the card that came with the dashcam and think that is all that they need.
Other people will complain "dashcam has not been recording...I drove 1 hour to Washington DC and 1 hour back home only to find out that the dashcam did not record the entire length of my trip!" without them realizing that the card is already full and has started overwriting itself.
We already know how stupid many of these 1 star reviews get and this will lead to unnecessary product returns. This is a double-edge sword like you mentioned. :)
My opinion is that if they are going to bundle, they should give enough (128GB minimum for a dashcam like A229 that records 2K front/rear). They should also allow power users or those with already higher capacity cards to be exempt from this rule or supply a special link for us to order without the card.

40Mbps front + 19Mbps rear = 59Mbit/sec total which is 27GB/hour for my Street Guardian...The card will be full in about an hour.
I believe the A229 should be similar as it is around 30/30 or 35/25 for the front/rear which adds up to around 60Mbps or so as well.

40Mbps front + 19Mbps rear = 59Mbit/sec total which is 27GB/hour for my Street Guardian...The card will be full in about an hour.
I believe the A229 should be similar as it is around 30/30 or 35/25 for the front/rear which adds up to around 60Mbps or so as well.
A229 DUO has a fixed bitrate on the latest firmware day and night:
F=31.1 Mb/s
R=24.4 Mb/s

VIOFO would do well to make this knowledge very obvious on their site, as would BBMC and other vendors. Removing initial boot issues from the start would be helpful to all.

Reading through this thread I will agree that the power source is also a major factor.

Many third party USB power sockets are just not powerful enough for modern multi-channel systems. Especially if they have multi ports and the others are also in use.

I would advise 2A minimum. Once you have that then start looking at the SDCard

Hey guys, I have another useless marketing idea.
Viofo offers a 1 year warranty, and a 6 month warranty extention if you register your dash cam by providing the serial number, and your email address.
What if in addition to including a 32GB SD Card with every dash cam, they offered a discount toward a Viofo 256GB SD Card when you register to obtain the additional 6 month warranty.

On the little red card that is the first thing you see when unpacking the camera could be a statement;
"This included 32GB SD Card will only provide a limited amount of recording time, and is intended for set up, diagnosis, and to perform future firmware updates. If you prefer longer recording times you may wish to purchace a larger capacity SD Card. By registering your camera to receive an additional 6 month warranty extention you will also receive a 10% off discount code torward a Viofo 256GB SD Card".

Who am I kidding?
This would never work. lol
-Chuck

Attachments

• 2 .jpg
    2 .jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 1 .jpg
    1 .jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 3
Well i have found my A229 can error with some cards, it did with the kingston i use,,,,,, but now that same card have filled up a few times and not done that again, so i am a bit at a loss here.
Som cards i have tested or at least one of them, well it is no wonder as that card do not work in any dashcam of mine only my dji action camera.

I do not think Viofo have maxed out the bitrate here, i am more inclined to say memory card issue maybe incompatibility or power source issues, and even if it is the provided viofo power source then it could still be flaky.

Someone here mentioned that Ferraris are not bought to drive 50km/h. But in order for a Ferrari to drive properly, it needs to be fueled with quality fuel prescribed by the manufacturer. If you fill a Ferrari with "donkey urine", then it will not go faster than 50km/h or not go at all.
Since there were no complaints about Viofo memory cards on the forum, the manufacturer can write that it guarantees uninterrupted operation of the DVR with the maximum bitrate when using Viofo memory cards.
Who does not want to spend money on a quality memory card, can reduce the bitrate of the DVR so that it works smoothly with other memory cards.
At the moment, Viofo in the new T130 firmware has reduced the bitrate of the main camera, but many people are not satisfied with this and they do not install a new firmware.

Not everyone wants a rear dashcam, which I suppose VIOFO understands as their site sells just the 2 channel version of the T130.
On the Viofo website, only the 3-channel version of the T130 is currently on sale, but I also met the 2-channel version.
Guilty. Both versions are on sale.

Back