Mobius 2 Action/Dash Cam support thread

2.00.03 is what i have.

I think i might be lost from the mailing list or something.

Last mail i got from Peter was on August 31.

Any comment on how the new WDR compares to the current dual-exposure WDR mode?

Last edited:
2.00.03 is what i have.

I think i might be lost from the mailing list or something.

Last mail i got from Peter was on August 31.

I think I still have a September beta, I didn't worry about following up while I was in HK as I didn't take the camera with me anyway and haven't had time since I got back

My last go was with beta V2.00.12. Things are coming along nicely with a few areas that still need work. Tomorrow, I hope to get a chance to flash what "may" be the upcoming public release candidate I just received but things have been crazy busy. It requires a new version of mSetup, so I'll have to download that as well.

Any comment on how the new WDR compares to the current dual-exposure WDR mode?

The current WDR works well and it is serviceable, hopefully with some improvements still in the wings. It is nowhere as effective or impressive as the previous approach to WDR. The fact that the dual exposure "HDR" technique didn't work out is a terrible loss for the M2 as it produced the most remarkable dynamic range handling I have ever seen in any dash or action camera. Unfortunately, reconciling the two simultaneous 30 fps high and low exposures derived from a 60 fps capture proved too difficult and image quality suffered too much, so that technique was abandoned. I'd love to see the Mobius team go back and see if they can get that working properly sometime in the future.

The current WDR works well and it is serviceable, hopefully with some improvements still in the wings. It is nowhere as effective or impressive as the previous approach to WDR. The fact that the dual exposure "HDR" technique didn't work out is a terrible loss for the M2 as it produced the most remarkable dynamic range handling I have ever seen in any dash or action camera. Unfortunately, reconciling the two simultaneous 30 fps high and low exposures derived from a 60 fps capture proved too difficult and image quality suffered too much, so that technique was abandoned. I'd love to see the Mobius team go back and see if they can get that working properly sometime in the future.

that's a shame as it would have been really good for interior use looking out, it's a format that works really well for still photography but I'd expect it would be way too resource hungry to work on this kind of hardware for video

that's a shame as it would have been really good for interior use looking out, it's a format that works really well for still photography but I'd expect it would be way too resource hungry to work on this kind of hardware for video

I know it is done on some high end video cameras but perhaps it is because with those you have vastly more processing power.

I'd reasonably expect it would require more processing power than they have available

You never know. If anyone could make this WDR technique work with this hardware, these guys could. The jury is still out on the M2 as far as I am concerned but the last few firmware iterations are starting to impress me with some of the camera's shortcomings that they've pulled out of the bag one by one.

I feel they'll get it all right in the end but I'm not betting on how long it will take. They've bitten off a huge bite by using a new-to-them coding language/technique but they haven't choked to death yet so there's still hope.

I like the concept and the physical execution but I'm delaying buying until it is as solidly good as it's predecessor in functioning.

Phil

I must say in regard to Google i do like what they have managed to do with a single 12 mpix camera in their new phone
That image sensor would be great for a 4K dashcam, it is able to expose the bright and dark HDR frames simultaneously and so get no motion blur between the HDR exposures with fast moving objects!

http://www.xda-developers.com/sony-...of-the-google-pixels-sensor-and-its-features/
This xda article has a good explanation of different approaches to video WDR. It seems like the M2 was trying to do it the hard way with full frame double exposure. The new Sony IMX sensors with their hybrid approach might be a better compromise for fast-moving dashcam use.

EDIT : changed "is" to "was"

Last edited:
that was the plan but seems they've had to rethink that since unfortunately
Oops. I meant to say they were trying to do it the hard way

mSetup updated yesterday - but no new FW yet...............................

mSetup updated yesterday - but no new FW yet...............................
mSetup is posted independently of the firmware and normally has nothing to do with when new firmware will be released.

Since the GUI supports all firmware version ever released for the #16, the original Mobius, the Mobius 2 and the Mobius Mini, it's inevitable there will be an update more often than there would be for a dedicated software.
All the same, I try and keep the updates to a minimum.

But your hunch is right, the developer has given his OK to release the firmware. So, unless something unexpected turns up, it should be available any time now.

[EDIT]FW v2.02 is now available for (automatic) download[/EDIT]

Last edited:
Tested a little with latest official firmware.
and so far it seem WDR make footage grainy ( 1080/60 and /30 )
And as the video below indicate then the M2 dont seem to like some guy on my TV :)

Settings for recording below.
All else is default settings.
M2flicker1.jpg

M2flicker2.jpg

yeah, its not like the total light output from the TV change much between that guy solo and flashing and then the 2 guys and not flashing. ( judging by how much of the shades on my floor is visible when its the 2 guy on Tv and the 2 guys, the amount of shade from my table and the lamp of to the right seem to be just about the same )

The 30 FPS footage is a lot brighter than 60 fps footage under same conditions, and the flashing is not there with 60 FPS.

Back