Mobius Maxi 4K - Varifocal Zoom 3.6-11mm

That covers it nicely , time to move on to the 4K version & experiment with a spare M1 later on , thanks

Many of us addicts have a "zoom" camera in the windscreen, it is quite nice to have, though close to the car you of course have a narrow FOV, but out ahead where it open up, you can read plates where the wide angle lenses just give you a blue to look at.

One year on and inspired by the proposed licence plate camera hack thread, I've finally installed the 3.6-11mm lens in an MM4K case, complete with my DIY CPL. I trimmed the original lens shroud off the end of the case, so now the back flange of the lens is tight against the case.

1663341237550.png

1663341445937.png

I've been driving without a front telephoto camera for many months. Hopefully this works OK, then I'll remove the wide-angle MM4K which has been my 'second camera' for the last year.

1663342069943.png

Last edited:
First comparison between 3No cameras, using a static scene to look at angle of view and resolved detail:

Viofo A139 5MP (with CPL). This has the widest Angle of View. Sharpening and contrast are high.
2022_0920_133028_F.MP4_20220921_102010.019.jpg

Mobius 4K F1.5 (no CPL) Slightly narrower AOV. Less sharpening and contrast, resolves finer details better.
20220920_133125.MP4_20220921_095805.005.jpg

Mobius 4K with 3.6-11mm Varifocal (with CPL) set to approx 8mm Narrow AOV. Same IQ settings as above, so good detail.
20220920_133116.MP4_20220921_101154.021.jpg

Comparing a 100% crop from each frame shows the relative differences much better:
A139 crop.jpg
M4K F1-5 crop.jpg
M4K Vari crop.jpg

I still rely on a standard dashcam like the A139 to cover most situations, in all lighting conditions. The fast wide-angle lens and Starvis sensor are ideal for this.

As a complimentary, second camera alongside the A139 I can see benefits to using either the standard M4K or the varifocal M4K. Arguably the standard 4K Mobius resolves enough detail for most driving situations, beyond the range of the A139 but with a decent amount of coverage. Do I really need to be able to read number plates at ~30m distance? It's not just about licence plates though. I like having a telephoto option to capture things that a standard dashcam cannot see.

Wow TonyM this is just amazing.
I just found this thread by accident, and read all three pages.
What you're doing really is fantastic work.
I'm waitng for Nigel to come in here and telll me what I should think about all this, and how I should, or should not implement this into my personal dash cam set up. lol
-Chuck

Wow TonyM this is just amazing.
I just found this thread by accident, and read all three pages.
What you're doing really is fantastic work.
I'm waitng for Nigel to come in here and telll me what I should think about all this, and how I should, or should not implement this into my personal dash cam set up. lol
-Chuck
Well Tony's telephoto image in his last post is really good, if like Tony you also like:
I like having a telephoto option to capture things that a standard dashcam cannot see.
then go for it.

Make sure you look at some moving images before deciding though, @kamkar has quite a few videos available.

As you are in a place with quite small writing on the plates (I think?), and in general rather better lighting than UK, it is probably of more use to you than to Tony.

Not sure what camera to put a telephoto lens on these days though. I think that Mobius 4K has a Sony IMX 317, same as the Viofo A129 Pro, currently one of the best sensors to "capture things that a standard dashcam cannot see.", but if you are thinking of buying a camera rather than using an unused one, then with the Starvis 2 sensors not too far away, I think I would suggest waiting till next year.

Note the A139 that Tony is comparing with in his last post is an unusually wide FoV dashcam, designed for taxi use in the middle of cities where a wide FoV is an advantage, your A119 Mini is already sort of a "telephoto camera" compared to that!

Also, note that you do need to like building things and solving problems, standard dashcams are not designed to be upgraded with telephoto lenses.

Do I really need to be able to read number plates at ~30m distance?
If the plate never gets close enough for a wide angle camera to read it, then the telephoto, or more resolution are the only ways to read it, but then you are unlikely to have an incident with that vehicle, so it is hard to see the need.

The other time is when motion blur makes plates unreadable at closer distances, which is definitely a reason for having a telephoto on an FHD camera, and why 2K dashcams are generally recommended these days - they can see further, to where motion blur is less of an issue. But when you are comparing with a wide angle 4K camera with a telephoto 4K camera, there doesn't seem to be an advantage in motion blur due to distance, as you appear to have found in post #29:
In this particular case, with cars each way travelling at around 50-60mph, I found the sweet spot was at approximately the same point for both cameras. So the screenshots represent the best of both camera's video captures.
- the motion blur caused by movement across the sensor accelerating as it nears the edge of the wide angle isn't an issue once you can see far enough, after that the motion blur is more to do with the movement of the vehicle and change of viewing direction, which is the same for both cameras, it is magnified on the telephoto but in distance across the number plate is the same amount, and to reduce it requires faster shutter speed.

Not needing it doesn't mean that you shouldn't have it though, as with most cameras!

If the plate never gets close enough for a wide angle camera to read it, then the telephoto, or more resolution are the only ways to read it, but then you are unlikely to have an incident with that vehicle, so it is hard to see the need.

It's fascinating how you keep authoritatively lecturing everyone about telephoto lens dash cameras while at the same time repeatedly demonstrating your ignorance about the experience of using one.

Just the other day I outlined a scenario about how having a telephoto camera that can resolve the plate number of an oncoming vehicle at a distance can be important when your standard camera fails to capture a clear plate number as the vehicle is closing on you. I've had numerous experiences like that, although fortunately, as close as the other car came to actually hitting me, none resulted in an accident. There are also other scenarios where a telephoto can be vital that have nothing to do with car accidents.

A telephoto cam may capture a clear shot of the plate number of an oncoming vehicle at a distance right before you get side swiped by a hit and run driver who then takes out your rear view mirror and keeps going. Then you discover that your wide angle camera didn't capture a clear shot of the plate of the car that hit you.

a hit and run driver who then takes out your rear view mirror and keeps going. Then you discover that your wide angle camera didn't capture a clear shot of the plate of the car that hit you.
Being in the UK, I imagine that if a hitman takes out my rear view mirror then he will be using a shotgun, and that will destroy both the wide angle and telephoto cameras hiding behind my rear view mirror, so neither dashcam will get a shot at his plate ;)

I think this is a highly unlikely scenario for me to encounter.

Being in the UK, I imagine that if a hitman takes out my rear view mirror then he will be using a shotgun, and that will destroy both the wide angle and telephoto cameras hiding behind my rear view mirror, so neither dashcam will get a shot at his plate ;)

I think this is a highly unlikely scenario for me to encounter.

Stop playing sardonic, adolescent games, Nigel. You're embarrassing yourself! You know I used the term "side swiped" when I was referring to losing a rear view mirror.

Unlikely? Just ask @TonyM who lost his side rear view mirror to a hit and run driver. (captured it on multiple cameras, which you assert are unnecessary :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
That's possibly a minor language difference. I've never referred to the pair of mirrors on the side of my car as a rear mirror, despite the fact that they are rear facing. However I'm sure Nigel knew exactly what was meant.

As an English man married to an American woman (for whom spelling is not a strong point) I've learned not to make fun of the differences in our similar languages, and to offer support when she is confused by the way we spell things or use words over here.

I'm sure Nigel knew exactly what was meant.

Yes, course Nigel knew exactly what was meant, but he'd rather play snide games. He resorts to such schoolboy behavior when he is unable to offer an intelligent reply.

M4K 3.6-11mm Varifocal (approx 8mm focal length) - with CPL

Last edited:
M4K 3.6-11mm Varifocal (approx 8mm focal length) - with CPL

The bus driver looks bored!

Back