Mobius mounting solutions

Nice, now you just need that second layer of mounting tape on the front ;)

mobius_screenshot - Copy.jpg Hi all,

I too am using the Mobius as a rear facing camera. It's mounted on the housing of the top brake light. Still at the experimental stage so will fine tune the setup at some point. Here's a quick screen grab and I'll post photos of the mounting in due course.

Cheers,

T.

Hey all, I just finished creating an open source, 3D printed Mobius mount that attaches directly to the Honda Insight mirror. I'm now looking to adapt the design to other vehicles. If you'd like a custom, open source mount for your vehicle, post up with the existing mirror trim piece dimensions and your windshield's angle from parallel to ground and I'll create you a custom, open source part. If you don't know these dimensions and don't mind sending me your rear view mirror assembly for a week, I'll dimension it myself and then ship it back.

Mounted my Mobius in my 2014 Forester XT with eyesight.

Coppied the mount from another forester owner. It sits up out of the way of the eyesight cameras and doesnt cause an issue.

Power is pulled from the moon roof switch and the cable is hidden with the rear view mirror cables.

This is my mounting in a 2010 Seat Altea XL. It took me a couple attempts of trial and error, mostly because the guys at Seat had tried to re-invent the vipers (thread about that issue HERE). This is my setup. First off, the front camera:

I had an old cheap GPS-navigator mount dissected, the ball part was sawed off with just enough material left to work with. A small hole got drilled and with a screw I attached it to a piece of metal band, originally meant for construction purposes. The remaining joint, a little bit trimmed off, was united to the mobius base plate mount thanks to my best friend Mr Super Glue :)

P1000080.JPG

A touch of black paint later - Voilà! The locking pins has been bent upwards, don't need them, Mobius stay firm as it is anyway.

P1000084.JPG

Off to the car! The metal tongue has been inserted under the sunshade locking clip. The stupid plastic lid covering its screws did put up a serious struggle and obviously didn't want to come off at all, but with enough desperation and rough language I managed to peal it away. Sitting like this the camera is low enough to be just within the wiped area of the windscreen, yet not distracting the driver. The usb cable and adaptor seen in the picture has later been changed to a more suitable home made up-angle one (about that DYI-project HERE) The cable runs invisible inside the ceiling panel, down the A-pillar and inside the door rubber to the fuse box located below the steering wheel. I did purposely save the ball joint. Like this the camera can easily be aimed or turned sideways to record any police interaction if I'm pulled over, or I can swiftly have the camera out of the car if needed. Later the metal tongue proved itself to sometimes produce slight vibrations depending on the quality of the roads and has been changed to a more sturdy one without all those little holes.

P1000101.JPG

View from the outside. If it wasn't for the beige mirror mobius would have been even more stealthy. I thought about painting the mirror black to reduce the contrasts, but as it is a high-spec dimming one with sensors and buttons and indicator lights I think it's probably a wise idea to skip that project.

P1000106.JPG

Lets walk over to the back of the car, which is a hatchback btw.

Using the same type of metal band, I bent it to something resembling a clip. One part (about 10cm long) is tugged in over the ceiling, the rest comes out like this. A nice little curve at the end makes it all work like a spring. It sits beautifully, the view is perfect and with the hatch closed it all locks up, there's no wobbling or vibration whatsoever.

P1000087.JPG

Last picture: The usb cable goes under the rubber / inside the panel, and is connected to a 12V socket I never use anyway. The window is quite tinted making the camera virtually impossible to spot when I close it all up, yet the image seems unaffected. Perfect!

P1000088.JPG

That's it.

(edit: fixed some typos. edit2: uploaded the pictures to dct server)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just joined this forum to post my solution I just put up tonight. I had an angled piece of ABS plastic 3D printed to fit onto my Honda Civic rear view mirror mount. The mount is extremely solid, and through moving the mirror, I can finely adjust the angle and direction that the camera points (I see it as an advantage, others might see it as a disadvantage).
IMG_20140617_204756.jpg
I have it hard wired via a fuse tap to an unused fuse (#8 I believe, as a power source that is only on when the ignition is on) that runs through the weather stripping and held in place with the springiness of the headboard. I of course used a 7805 voltage regulator to obtain the 5V needed.

The only thing I want to change immediately is the white zip ties. I will try to find a black set of the same width.

I can send anybody the STL file for the 3D printed piece (which has a 20 degree slope and was fitted to a 0.75 inch diameter rod to mount to).

The zip ties are the only part that appears visible from the outside. The only part visible to me while driving is the wire going up to the ceiling.

I used a right-angle mini usb adapter to put the cord off to the side instead of straight back. I wouldn't mind changing that to a vertical adapter, but I haven't found one yet. In the mean time, I have this: http://amzn.to/1iiF1EU

It works just fine. It is nice because I can easily connect my laptop to the camera to extract video without moving my mirror or the camera. The only disadvantage is that the cord is about 2" away going vertically up. Not a deal breaker, but something to keep in mind.

The zip ties are the only part that appears visible from the outside.

Nice and easy. Hope you'll find a couple of black zip ties. Maybe a black marker will do the same thing?

Nice and easy. Hope you'll find a couple of black zip ties. Maybe a black marker will do the same thing?
I ended up getting black ties, which I thought were identical, but they were slightly larger. So I had to improvise, which I think may have been a fine decision in the end. It will be a bit tougher to remove, but it will be a ton easier to put back on without having to find special sized zip ties.

Edit: It has one zip tie going through each hole, then a zip tie linking onto that tie to wrap around over the mirror mount.

membrBm.jpg

Last edited:
I opted for a more stealth solution using the 8 inch extension cable. Using hot-glue I mounted the A lens on the mirror-post which is stationary so when the driver adjust the mirror it won't affect the POV. The recorder is mounted in front of the mirror but on the blackened section of the windshield, making it invisible from the outside and out of direct sunlight. It runs with motion detect enabled through a Power Magic Pro, 24/7 and records to a 64GB Kingston card. I have replaced the battery with a Super Capacitor.

IMAG0437.jpg IMAG0436.jpg

Is there a recommended lens extension maker or seller? I think I'm going to try the shortest lens extension possible for my car

Stealt install with 20cm lens extension

Great! Thanks! Would appreciate any more pics you can snap of how the Lens was mounted also.
Well there is not much to it. I glued the lens to the post with hot glue from a glue-gun, and painted the glue black. But ZS77706's solution is top notch and super stealth. :cool: Cam_Mounted.jpg

that is a good but easy method.
in germany is a new law that says that dashcams are illegal because of personalityrights from the people which are filmed but dont know about that.

thats one of the reasons why i make my mobius so stealth as possible.

Back