Mobius mounting solutions

No problems yet on our potholed PA roads. Used 3M VHB and have that large nut and bolt threaded through and secured tightly with lockwashers. It's printed in ABS.

Interesting mount, have you found it to be stable under variable road conditions?
Looks to be a standard Mobius to GoPro mount, and from there I think I saw that end either in the Drone category or it was the featured customizable GoPro mount on Thingiverse.

Either way, as long as the bolt/nut are properly torqued and the adhesive is a strong bond (good choice on VHB), shaking shouldn't be an issue. More joints would allow for more points of shakiness, but worst case nylocs and the proper filament would work wonders.

Yes, ABS. I joke with my kids that PLA is for toys, ABS is for tools.

Yeah I suddenly remembered "wait, didn't he say ABS?" and edited that part out lol.

I prototype with PLA, especially sizing test fits, but never outdoors, not after my own mount failed in 24 hours. One day later and my side camera was hitting my head as I got out, and it was a fraction the size of yours, not to mention it held onto the headliner, not the glass.

Also because I mostly have PLA and can't seem to get rid of my stash in any reasonable time frame good lord and nobody recycles them either (paid or not -- I don't have any 3mm machines and have two 5 lb spools of 3mm filament).

What's nice is that anything can now be made for dashcam mounting. I love our new hobby and look forward to getting better at design.

What's nice is that anything can now be made [...]. I love our new hobby and look forward to getting better at design.
Fixed that for you ;) Dash cams are one of many uses! My most popular design is a fully customizable guitar nut. Came in great handy fixing up my Dad's 5 string bass, which sounds better than it ever has in its life.

Earlier in the thread (I think less than 5 pages ago) I posted a design of just the lens holder, which I have used as a monitor for my 3D printers when they had skipping issues to determine cause (bent frame, now fixed), but they would be horrible for use in an actual car as they jar loose easily. Great if you want to security cam your house with Mobius cams to find out which dog is acting up though! (I am pitching this to my parents, but I think it's a team effort).

Drones see heavy use of the Mobius, it seems to be a fan favorite, and they have come up with some pretty clever mounting solutions.

Is this one better than the helmet mount?

It's different but I'm not quite sure if it's better. Probably more a matter of preference. As much as I like these mounts and use them, there are still some issues for me depending on where I use them. They only adjust up, down and side-to-side but there is no ability to adjust for a level horizon. In fact, that aspect of these particular mounts was what led me to do my DIY low profile ball joint mounts, especially this one.

low_profile.jpg

The helmet mobius adhesive Mount is probably the best lowest profile one you can get

Where's this helmet mount? Pics / Link?

I like the one Dashmellow made, although I would personally want a bit bigger diameter on the base for better security to the windshield to further reduce vibrations, but that's just me. I love how it enables really tight spaces, that one is going to see use for me unless this helmet thing is better.

Is anyone using the Mobius externally as a dash cam by the way? I swear I have the one edge case that nobody cares enough to accommodate, I am looking to put them in the rear side windows of my DeLorean, which is exposed to the elements on both sides of the glass it will sit behind. So it needs to be able to handle the elements (which Mobius is perfect for, but that USB might cause issues if not protected), and the glare is insane too, so a CPL would be needed (JooVuu X CPL might fit with tweaks). The requirements of CPL External cam is a unicorn it seems, nobody seems to cater to classics or exotics.

Where's this helmet mount? Pics / Link?

I like the one Dashmellow made, although I would personally want a bit bigger diameter on the base for better security to the windshield to further reduce vibrations, but that's just me. I love how it enables really tight spaces, that one is going to see use for me unless this helmet thing is better.

Is anyone using the Mobius externally as a dash cam by the way? I swear I have the one edge case that nobody cares enough to accommodate, I am looking to put them in the rear side windows of my DeLorean, which is exposed to the elements on both sides of the glass it will sit behind. So it needs to be able to handle the elements (which Mobius is perfect for, but that USB might cause issues if not protected), and the glare is insane too, so a CPL would be needed (JooVuu X CPL might fit with tweaks). The requirements of CPL External cam is a unicorn it seems, nobody seems to cater to classics or exotics.

A photo of the helmet mount and a link can be found in THIS post.

As for my DIY ball joint mount, the thing has been rock solid for the last two years with 3M VHB tape and a Mobius attached. (as a side cam) Vibration has not been an issue. Also, the base of the DIY mount is made from a steel washer and so it can be easily attached to a strong neodymium magnet if desired. That works well too but I found I preferred the more permanent and secure 3M VHB tape method.

A photo of the helmet mount and a link can be found in THIS post.

As for my DIY ball joint mount, the thing has been rock solid for the last two years with 3M VHB tape and a Mobius attached. (as a side cam) Vibration has not been an issue. Also, the base of the DIY mount is made from a steel washer and so it can be easily attached to a strong neodymium magnet if desired. That works well too but I found I preferred the more permanent and secure 3M VHB tape method.
Thanks for the link! I may have to go that route unless I can figure out something better, given the other option is to mount on "bump" textured fiberglass, which is exposed to the elements and as a result has seriously undermined adhesive properties already.

Two years is plenty of field data for me to nix that concern, thanks! Most of the adjustments being off happen to me within a few months, probably six max, so that's good to know. Longest it took for a GoPro-size cam to fall was 3-4 months, and it was from using a cheap generic GoPro mount where the adhesive just gave. 3M VHB my ass, the stuff was atrocious to clean and required a mix of Goo B Gone, Goof Off, every door opened, a roll of paper towels, vinyl / plastic prying tools, a gask mask, an entire Saturday, and debates on replacing the windshield outright.

Which reminds me, I need to add 3M VHB to the list of things I need soon. The real stuff comes off fantastically easy. The fake stuff is such an abhorrent mess, I would argue to just not trust what comes with the mount and supply your own if you're in any way doubtful of the authenticity of the adhesive.

This 3M stuff, while a little expensive, works very well. I use for the intended purpose but it is also does great at removing other things like rubber marks after a hot track day.

3M Specialty Adhesive remover

To easily remove a mount from a surface you can use a piece of string, fishing line or better, thin waxed dental floss, pulling back and forth . Also, a little bit of soap water (or window cleaner) as lubricant will make removal of even large pieces of tape easier. The latest version of Street Guardian cam I got came with a piece of string and a spare 3M VHB. Nice detail.

With legitimate adhesive, yes this works fantastic. Heck, string, patience, and a little Goo B Gone spray with paper towels works great too. With counterfeit 3M VHB tape, it is a nightmare, one jokiin said he had heard reports of when I last emailed him about it. I was trading in my car for another and didn't want to waste another Saturday working on the back windshield, he made that distinction of real vs. fake and how they behave VERY differently.

I've found that a clean sharp putty knife is my preferred tool for removing 3M VHB taped mounts. The handle of the putty knife gives you good control as you work the blade under the corner of a mount with a gentle side to side and then a twisting motion as you continue to press the tool deeper under the mount. Unlike using string, a putty knife gives you leverage you can apply evenly under the mount as you pry if away from the glass. Compared with using string the method is easier, faster and I've never had an problems with scratching the glass.

Trim panel removal tools often include wide and thin tools, I use the "scraper" tools almost exclusively for this and other similar tasks. Being plastic, they give me piece of mind. Cracking glass is nasty enough already, and sadly I have done it.

One would have to do something particularly extreme to crack a windshield with a thin flexible putty knife blade. The key word in this procedure is "gentle". I can certainly see where a plastic tool could be useful but a thin enough one may not have the required strength or rigidity.

Last edited:
Back