Mobius mounting solutions

Yes, I meant obstruction when looking through my rear view mirror. This is particularly an issue in this car as the rear half of the roof slopes significantly downward (it’s a coupe).

From the cam’s perspective, of the three viewpoints (#1.2, #1.1 and #2), the video quality is best with the latter two. In #1.2, the cam angles upward slightly too much, a problem @Dashmellow wedge suggestion would solve (I would still be dealing with the line of sight of issue there, unfortunately).

Another reason I like option #2 best is due to its simplicity. As I’ve grown older, I’ve become more and more fascinated (perhaps obsessed is a more honest word) with finding what I call “optimal simplicity”, especially when aesthetics are involved. There’s a level of quality or purity that I find really appealing in the most simple solutions, even though more complicated alternatives might offer marginally better results. In this particular case, I love the fact that my car’s manufacturer decided to leave enough space for me to wedge in my Mobius, which is literally all I did—no mounts, adhesives, magnets, metal plates, etc.—and it so happens the view is perfect, the cam is virtually invisible from outside and I see no part of it in my rear view mirror. There’s just so much I love about that.

I guess I misunderstood what you meant by "line of sight" as it appeared from the photo that the camera might be aiming too high. I think you are quite right though, K.I.S.S. is the best approach to most things. Aside from any mounting considerations this is perhaps one of the reasons why I'm attracted to the Mobius camera in the first place.

Before I start a new thread on this one, anyone know of mounts for remote lenses only? The main unit I can mount easily, but the lens is the problem now.

If not, have 3D printer and reverse-engineering experience, will attempt glady! :)

(I tried searching "lens" in this thread and subforum too, and didn't see anything)

Before I start a new thread on this one, anyone know of mounts for remote lenses only? The main unit I can mount easily, but the lens is the problem now.

If not, have 3D printer and reverse-engineering experience, will attempt glady! :)

(I tried searching "lens" in this thread and subforum too, and didn't see anything)

It really requires a DIY solution. Several people including me have posted in the DIY forum on this subject.

Perhaps these two older threads of mine might offer some inspiration?

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-remote-lens-tube-camera.16518/

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-remote-lens-eyeball-cam.16814/

I had the "a ha!" moment. Drafting a quick and dirty CAD model before I get too carried away, I don't want to forget before I go to bed tonight!

You can always buy a new case and chop off the parts no longer needed, then adapt that to your mounting scheme ;)

Phil

You can always buy a new case and chop off the parts no longer needed, then adapt that to your mounting scheme ;)

Phil

Great idea. Will be easier instead of a 3D printing one yourself.
When I ordered a battery from @eletoponline 365 it came in a new empty case. Now I'm undecided whether to order the inside guts to make use of the case. :D.

When I ordered a battery from @eletoponline 365 it came in a new empty case. Now I'm undecided whether to order the inside guts to make use of the case. :D.

I know the feeling! At this point I have three brand new unused Mobius cases sitting around that were shipped to me with other purchases. I even have a spare battery and an unused super-cap along with a spare "A2" lens module that came from the camera I installed the zoom lens in. All I need is a new PCB and I'd have a whole new camera for 38 bucks! The thing is, I don't really need another Mobius right now and the tech is getting pretty long in the tooth at this point.

Feel the same. I have 1 Mobius front and another at back. Just installed my Toguard CE 685 with wifi and I kinda like it. The unit generates a wifi hot spot and can see what it's seeing and recording through my smart phone using "Finalcam" app as I'm driving. Also can review recorded clips. Settings can be changed on my phone. Just used it for a week now. Night mode definitely better than Mobius.

Hi...where is the Toguard mounted , around the rear view mirror or elsewhere ?

Easier? Or better?

Mobius Lens.png

I argue "easier" only :)

Printing these now, adapting my GoPro mount to allow fitment. Camera will face up in the pic.

Hello Mobius users,
I have been browsing this great forum for some time now and due to the numerous fantastic posts, have been a happy Mobius owner for a while. So, now having vetted my installation for 1-2 years, I want to share details of my setup in hope that it will be useful to others as well.

First the front mount.
I get a very secure, though not adjustable, DIY mount by fabricating a wedge from aluminum sheet (available at local hardware store). To that I've attached a standard Mobius mounting sleeve which had the back end hacked off so that the camera can be inserted from the back, as you can see in the picture below. There is still plenty of material left to securely hold the camera in place. All pieces are held in place using 3M VHB 4611 double sided tape (has high temperature resistance).

CameraAndMount.jpg
Here is the assembly mounted on the top of the windscreen (left of the rear view mirror). I used a 90 degree usb plug to minimize overall size.
FrontMount.jpg

Now onto power.
I am using a high quality DC-DC converter which is in-line with the cable, just a few inches from the plug feeding the camera (you may be able to distinguish it . The module is a Murata Power 5 V, 1.5W unit (Part number: OKI-78SR-5/1.5-W36-C) and is very small (10.4 x 7.6 x 16.5 mm, located right above the camera in the previous picture). The picture below show it mounted onto a small piece of perforated PCB to which I've added a 10 micro Farad capacitor for further smoothing though not really necessary as per the manufacturer data. The supply side is connected to my fuse box by a bale that is tucked between the windscreen and the head liner then ran on the inside of the A-pilar trim. Soldering was required of course. This approach has the advantage of offering no voltage drop to Mobius since the 5 V source is mounted so close to the camera.
DCDC_Converter.jpg

Rear mount.
For the rear facing camera, I elected to mount the camera module on an aluminum bracket. A short lens module extension cable connects to the main camera body. The assembly is attached to the rear window via 3M DualLock fastener tape. Again I used a 90 degree usb connector. Here you can actually see the DC-DC power module which is covered by heat shrink tubing.
RearMount.jpg

Here it is mounted.
RearCam.jpg

Conclusion.
Overall, I have been very satisfied with the performance of the Mobius. The mounts I have implemented proved to be very secure and I don't see any detectable vibration in the videos capture. I've since added a tint strip to the top of the windscreen to further conceal the front camera. It's worked well.

Both my cameras have A2 lens.

Great approach! Love the folded metal idea, KISS is a lost art, but that's kinda giving me some ideas :)

EDIT: On mobile, above got wiped out first go around in a botched cut/paste I think, tried to rewrite just now, apologies! Moving on.

I'm more interested in why the power supply worked out the way it did. 5v @ 1.5w = 0.3a, did I read that right? I wouldn't go any less than a full amp for me. LM7805 is cheap and plentiful... although not terribly efficient, but it does drive a full amp, or more if you heatsink it well.

Good analogy: putting a drinking fountain on a fire hydrant totally works, but good luck putting out a raging house fire with a water bottle. Might be extreme, but you get the point, overhead is a good thing for power supplies.

Was there a specific design reason for the custom supply, or was it failing to find a good supply elsewhere? If the latter, I will note that most of the "smart" chargers do great and can be outsmarted by simply using a MiniUSB cable that does not connect anything but the power lines, i.e. everything data-only is simply not given a wire along its length.

I should note too that I've finished the above mount that I designed, but barely. 3D printer faced some damage and I'm rebuilding it. Self-inflicted too (nozzle worked its way loose, scratched up the metal bed while forcing the nozzle closed, so mad at myself for that one), trying to sort it out before I am able to provide a model. It was erratic for a few months anyhow, hoping this makes it more precise.

Oops, I mean to say that the module has a rating of 1.5 A, not 1.5 W :oops:. Thanks for catching this Shep.

So, yes, indeed this converter will give plenty of power to Mobius. I haven not had any problems. The advantage of using a short length from the 5 V source to Mobius is that there is little voltage drop even at the higher current draw, so voltage regulation is excellent. I supply the DC-DC converter using phone cable which is thin and easy to hide. Additionally, the very wide input range (7 to 36V) of the 78SR means that I don't have to worry about upstream voltage.

Also, the cost of this module (even in quantity of one) is less than $5 US from a reputable electronic supplier:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...5er0B3nI1pQ4j4ztRdBnBjdNtgPpeyb8cZe0ekYstL9NF

Okay, that makes way more sense, I was gonna say.

I've been looking for a higher-current replacement for the LM7805 too, hot damn the wide input voltage alone has me liking it! Thanks for that!! :D Going in the next batch of parts I need to order. NeoPixels are hungry little LED's...

These are switching converters so they have like 90% efficiency and will not generate much heat, unlike linear voltage regulators such as the LM7805 which may require a heat sink. They do have a little bit of ripple, like 20 mV, according to the spec sheet.

If you search for DC-DC converters on Mouser or Digikey, you can probably find other higher output models for your other non-dash cam applications :p. Power these using discarded or surplus laptop power supplies and you got a nice driver for LED lights.

I've a JooVuu X rather than a Mobius, but they are similar sizes. I thought the regular, Mobius type mount too big so, for a low profile solution used a spare GoPro quick-release mount and ordered some low profile camera mounts, together looks like this:
26f45e977e6daeba7f97fe270eb5e382.jpg

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

Guys, need some help...

In one of my cars I have the Mobius mounted using this type of mount and I'm very pleased with it.
Now, I want to buy the same mount for another car, but I can't remember from which camera it comes from...so I can search for it...

Just that it originates from one of the evolved versions of 808s cameras...something with...11...15....

Any ideas?

LE: Found it. DR32 :)

Attachments

• 808-26-car-mount-5.jpg
    808-26-car-mount-5.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Guys, need some help...

In one of my cars I have the Mobius mounted using this type of mount and I'm very pleased with it.
Now, I want to buy the same mount for another car, but I can't remember from which camera it comes from...so I can search for it...

Just that it originates from one of the evolved versions of 808s cameras...something with...11...15....

Any ideas?

LE: Found it. DR32 :)

That is the mount that also originally came with the Innovv C3. You can sometimes find that mount on eBay.
(The DR-32 was made by the same company that became Innovv.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/371635200917
innovv.jpg

You can get a similar low profile mount by buying a helmet mount and removing the straps and bottom plate.
It's a good alternative if you can't buy the original one you are looking for.

I use both of these mounts for Mobius cams and like them both.

helemet_mount.jpg

Last edited:
Back