Mobius mounting solutions

"Goo-B-Gone" is essentially scented naptha- cigarette lighter fluid by another name. Much cheaper when bought from Zippo or Ronson and if you know a commercial painter they will likely give you a good supply free if you bring an appropriate container ;) It's a low-to-mid level petro solvent which I don't find very useful but I a;ways have stronger solvents on hand which makes that decision easy for me. :cool:

Phil

This 3M stuff, while a little expensive, works very well. I use for the intended purpose but it is also does great at removing other things like rubber marks after a hot track day.

3M Specialty Adhesive remover

To easily remove a mount from a surface you can use a piece of string, fishing line or better, thin waxed dental floss, pulling back and forth . Also, a little bit of soap water (or window cleaner) as lubricant will make removal of even large pieces of tape easier. The latest version of Street Guardian cam I got came with a piece of string and a spare 3M VHB. Nice detail.

Works also with WD40, cheaper as well.

Anybody got any ideas for a detachable camera/remote lens mount? It would be nice to be able to easily remove and remount the mobius when required (e.g. for testing other lens).

Anybody got any ideas for a detachable camera/remote lens mount? It would be nice to be able to easily remove and remount the mobius when required (e.g. for testing other lens).

A couple of years ago I created some DIY tripod threaded mounts for my Mobius cameras that use steel washers for the base. If you attach a neodymium magnet to the windscreen with 3M VHB tape these steel based DIY mounts will hold quite securely but can be quickly removed and easily re-mounted. You can use neodymium magnets on many types of mounts; you don't necessarily need to custom build them like I did.

diy_mounts.jpg
90bottom-small.jpg

Do you mean like this? It's shaky as hell, I don't recommend it for dash cam use. Using the stock mount that cradles the camera lets you remove the entire Mobius, remove/swap the lens, and reinstall already, so I'm not sure what you mean.

How frequently are you planning on swapping lenses? I only know of two (B and C), maybe a select few aftermarket, but if you're concerned about breaking the stock mount, I have to wonder just how many swaps are going to happen, and it seems absurd to have to worry about the stock mount breaking from removal/re-insertion force with only two lenses at play. Just grab two mobius cameras with two different lenses and call it a day.

If it helps, cradles are available separately, so if one breaks, others can be sourced readily. But if you want an approach that is a bit more DIY (read: requires sourced parts), search Thingiverse for "Mobius Mount". Lots of them hug the Mobius but use a velcro strap to keep it in place. Mostly for RC planes and such. There are about two hundred on there that I saw, not a one however did just the lens itself, that's why I made my version (which, again, is a very loose fit and I don't recommend it, but it can be done that way).

How frequently are you planning on swapping lenses? I only know of two (B and C), maybe a select few aftermarket, but if you're concerned about breaking the stock mount, I have to wonder just how many swaps are going to happen, and it seems absurd to have to worry about the stock mount breaking from removal/re-insertion force with only two lenses at play. Just grab two mobius cameras with two different lenses and call it a day.

If it helps, cradles are available separately, so if one breaks, others can be sourced readily. But if you want an approach that is a bit more DIY (read: requires sourced parts), search Thingiverse for "Mobius Mount". Lots of them hug the Mobius but use a velcro strap to keep it in place. Mostly for RC planes and such. There are about two hundred on there that I saw, not a one however did just the lens itself, that's why I made my version (which, again, is a very loose fit and I don't recommend it, but it can be done that way).

Mobius also offers the standard "A" lens as well as a wide "D" lens.

The stock cradle is a bit stiff and takes a bit of force to insert/remove the camera. Removing/re-installing too many times would make the adhesive become loose.

Would something like this be any good?

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/flat-curved-mounts-for-kaiser-baas-and-gopro-action-cam-a62rt

The little nubs that hold the Mobius in the cradle tend to break in after repeated use and therefore it will eventually become easier to use with less force while still holding the camera very securely. And as @Shep mentioned you can buy a replacement cradle if you ever have the need. They sell for only about $3.00 USD.

Since I also happen to use Mobius cameras for many projects other than dash cam use I've mounted and removed the cams from the slide cradle countless times and none of the cradles have ever failed in any way. They just get easier to work with.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the adhesive failing because of removing the Mobius from its cradle but if you use a technique such as wrapping your index finger around the tripod mount on the cradle while you push the camera out of the cradle with your thumb you won't be putting any undue stress on the adhesive holding whatever mount you have attached to your windscreen. Even if the camera is mounted upside down on your windshield you can use this technique.

cradle.jpg

I couldn't remember which two letters were correct on lenses, but seems there's more than I remembered! Wasn't one of them discontinued (B maybe?) and another one versioned (C2?) It's been a while since I had to think about it and I'm brainfarting.

Or maybe more simply: what are all lenses, A to D, and their use cases?

I can see failures if you pry at an angle, this will curl the snap wedges (is there a technical term for those?), but it shouldn't be handled this way if you want to keep it intact. In your picture, pivoting on the bottom-left of the mobius itself to pry it loose from the mounts on the right side would be an example of what NOT to do. Sliding the Mobius directly left in the picture is ideal. Good thinking including the hand in the shot, I like that.

B and C1 were deleted
Literally the nicest way to say "you've got your letters mixed up" I can think of (y) Wrong on both counts, always learning!

So A2 and D are left? Any others?

So A2 and D are left? Any others?
A2, C2 and D are the only lenses listed at eletoponline365 for the Mobius 1.
A2 90deg horizontal FOV F2.0
C2 135deg horizontal FOV F2.0
D 130deg horizontal FOV F2.8

Last edited:
A2, C2 and D are the only lenses listed at eletoponline365 for the Mobius 1.
A2 90deg horizontal FOV F2.0
C2 135deg horizontal FOV F2.0
D 130deg horizontal FOV F2.8

You can still find the original A lenses in stock if you do some digging. I believe they are getting pretty rare though.

Last edited:
I’ve got lens C2, D and an aftermarket one (treeye 4mm f1.4). So far I’ve experimented with sticking the mobius direct to car headlining using Velcro, then after recording took the camera off along with adhesive. The cradle (minus the mounting bit) seems to be a good idea. I’d like to place mobius behind the rear view mirror, and using the extending cable to place the lens on the windscreen. Now looking for a solution to be able to mount the remote lens to the windshield.

Last edited:
Just FYI, I was going through this thread trying to figure out a quick and easy way to mount my Wife's rear facing camera.

I considered using neodymium magnets, but didn't want it rotating on it's own.
I considered using 3M resealable tape, but didn't want to go buy something new.

Then I started rummaging around and found that I had some leftover Scotch Permanent Mounting Squares for Fabric Walls (think cubicle) from when I worked in a cube farm. I read all the information on the package and thought why not give these a try???? I removed the cradle and attached 6 squares directly onto the cam.
2018-06-10 Scotch Mouting Squares-007.jpg

The package states that 8 squares will hold up to 2.25lbs (1kg). On the back of my Mobius, I fit 6 squares (2.25/8 = 0.28125 x 6 = 1.6875lbs) which I figure is probably enough holding power to keep it hanging well. But I have yet to give it field trials.
2018-06-10 Scotch Mouting Squares-001.jpg 2018-06-10 Scotch Mouting Squares-002.jpg 2018-06-10 Scotch Mouting Squares-003.jpg 2018-06-10 Scotch Mouting Squares-004.jpg

Anyways, here are some photos of what my Wife's rear facing action cam looks like now. NOTE: this would only work on vehicles that have a relatively flat rear headliner in their vehicle.
2018-06-10 Scotch Mouting Squares-005.jpg 2018-06-10 Scotch Mouting Squares-008.jpg 2018-06-10 Scotch Mouting Squares-009.jpg

This is about as low profile as I think I could possibly get the camera. It's raining a lot today, so I'm going to wait until tomorrow to go driving with it to test it out.

The beauty about this is that these squares allow you to remove/reposition the cam without much effort. You just have to push/wiggle it into place to make sure that you get the most contact between the surfaces.

Last edited:
Back