Mobius mounting solutions

Mobius 1 and Mobius 2 installed side by side up front. Mobius 1 on the passenger side using an adhesive windshield mount with a straight USB connector. I've managed to fit the Mobius 2 into the narrower space behind the rear view mirror on the driver's side by using a lower-profile Scosche magnetic mount and a right-angle USB connector.
20160913_110133.jpg
The white markings on the side of the M2 are quite visible from outside the car so I might do something about that, but it's nice to have the buttons in clear view and reach on the driver's side without obstructing the view out of the window.
20160913_110235.jpg
20160913_110313.jpg
Driver's view:
20160913_110451.jpg
The large Scosche plate on the M2 is just a temporary solution - I'll switch to using a smaller metal plate which is currently inside the M1 case.
20160913_110518.jpg

Reviewing some of my M2 footage reveals that the magnetic mount suffers from vibration. I'll keep using it while I'm evaluating the M2 alongside the M1, but then I'll stick with the sturdier adhesive mount when I move one of these cameras to the rear window. Hopefully with the right-angle connector I can move the adhesive mount to the driver's side.

Try the helmet mount. It's pretty low profile and holds well.
helmetmount-jpg.20165

I have two of these. On one car I use it with the quick disconnect plate, but it requests a little tape between them to sung up the fit. On the other car I just used the right portion with tape to the windshield.

Try the helmet mount. It's pretty low profile and holds well.
helmetmount-jpg.20165

I have two of these. On one car I use it with the quick disconnect plate, but it requests a little tape between them to sung up the fit. On the other car I just used the right portion with tape to the windshield.

I use one of those. They work great! I have it applied with 3M VHB tape without the mounting plate. You can buy these from Banggood for less than 4 bucks.

I use one of those. They work great! I have it applied with 3M VHB tape without the mounting plate. You can buy these from Banggood for less than 4 bucks.
I take it that there's just 2 axis for adjustment on this. Should be fine if mounted near the centre of the screen I suppose.

Can you post a link please? Makes it easier than digging through their huge site ;)

Also @TonyM- Is that described as a right-hand or left-hand cable? I can never keep them sorted out in my head but I can look at my Mobius for a reminder if I knew :p

Phil

A metre of 3M Dual-lock SJ3551

IMAG0154.jpg

New 12.5° FPV mount prepped with the dual-lock, will be replacing the VHB taped 25° FPV mount that tilts the camera a little too low.

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

12.5° mount - (Pathetic product pics!)

25° mount -

Last edited:
It is a shame that 3M switched to a white adhesive on the Dual-Lock tape from the original black so for many dash cam applications such as mounting on a windscreen it is no longer stealthy. There is one store I frequent locally that still sells the older black backed Dual-Lock so I've been able to put away a stash for future installations. I think they must be rationing it because they only put out one or two packages at a time yet for months now when I stop by they always seem to have at least one or two packages on the rack and since I've bought some of them I know they are replenishing the supply.

Fortunately, for @harsh's application the white backing is probably not an issue.

Was expecting black adhesive till I checked in detail on the 3M website while the order was in transit. Won't matter for the rear but unusable for the front.

Helmet mount arrived today. Being lower-profile than the adhesive ball&socket mount the Mobius ended up closer to the rain & light sensor unit behind the RVM. Then I realised there is 'just' enough angle adjustment to spin the mount around and use it with the tightening screw nearest the window. This moved the camera closer to the glass and eliminated the obstruction. I had to remove the horizontal bolt and re-insert the other way around to allow the mount to be installed tight up against that sensor unit. There's also 'just' enough space to slide the camera out without hitting the window.

Previous ball & socket mount
20160913_110313e.jpg

New helmet mount
20160921_130138.jpg
20160921_130605.jpg

Sadly the quality of the ones available on Banggood and similar sites is far from satisfactory. Had to apply EVA foam padding on the mounting plate and the underside of the tripod mount to get a snug fit.

Probably the lowest profile mount available for dash cam use, these should work well form cameras that dangle off suction cup mounts too.

Sadly the quality of the ones available on Banggood and similar sites is far from satisfactory. Had to apply EVA foam padding on the mounting plate and the underside of the tripod mount to get a snug fit.
The mounting plate can be detached / discarded, & 3M tape applied directly to the mount. Also, the knurled knob can be replaced by a conventional nut.

Makes for a stealthier & steadier mount.

8a1dab37085e4b9a0a5a3c14a3d075b5.jpg

The mounting plate can be detached / discarded, & 3M tape applied directly to the mount. Also, the knurled knob can be replaced by a conventional nut.
Makes for a stealthier & steadier mount.
I was looking at that knurled knob, thinking I could use a small nut. Will have to rummage around in the toolbox when I get home to see if I have one that fits.

I was looking at that knurled knob, thinking I could use a small nut. Will have to rummage around in the toolbox when I get home to see if I have one that fits.
I recall that someone shortened the 'bolt', so that a domed nut could be used. He also cut off the 'flanges' (if that's the right term). Nice.

59ca0ae46f7f1edaffec3840de123b8e.jpg

Last edited:

Probably the lowest profile mount available for dash cam use, these should work well form cameras that dangle off suction cup mounts too.
Maybe I got lucky then? Mine was just £3 on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400801091173No problems with loose fit at all.

Back