Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

If the cable isn't a data cable used to connect the Garmin to a computer then it should be fine.

No it does not connect to the pc at all with this cable. It has the mini-USB plug on one end and is hardwired to the lighter adapter on the other end.

Thank you very much for your reply. :) I have only had the camera for a few days and of course I didn't think to get the adapter and long cable at the same time so I have just been using the battery.

That's a good point. You know, with some of the intermittent issues people have reported with the Mobius such as card compatibility, as one example, I wonder if the processor choice might also have some disadvantages?

Are there any DashCams of any brand that don't have card compatibility issues?

Here's an extreme version in v1.17
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27649508&postcount=7757

Of course I will see when v1.18 is out if it changes.

That's interesting. The color shift happens very suddenly only when the RC car comes into the frame close to the camera and then slowly fades away. This is similar to what I described when red objects would enter the FOV causing a blue/green shift (cyan, actually) but this manifestation of the problem is with different colors causing a shift to yellow. So what's the deal that Mobius has such trouble with this? I'm not aware of any other cameras experiencing this as an ongoing intractable problem. I wonder if my speculation a few posts ago that the processor may have some disadvantages could be a contributing factor here?

That's interesting. The color shift happens very suddenly only when the RC car comes into the frame close to the camera and then slowly fades away. This is similar to what I described when red objects would enter the FOV causing a blue/green shift (cyan, actually) but this manifestation of the problem is with different colors causing a shift to yellow. So what's the deal that Mobius has such trouble with this? I'm not aware of any other cameras experiencing this as an ongoing intractable problem. I wonder if my speculation a few posts ago that the processor may have some disadvantages could be a contributing factor here?

Thinking about this a little further, it is interesting to consider the RGB color system in use here. RBG is an additive color model of Red/Blue/Green.

So, I've described a shift to a Cyan bias when a Red object comes into the frame with vo.4x firmware versions. The issue in v.1.17 seems to be on a different part of the spectrum where the video of the RC car shifts to Yellow when the Blue RC car comes into the frame.

Here is a color wheel chart of the RGB color model. Notice that the exact opposite of Red is Cyan. The opposite of Blue is Yellow.

The firmware and/or processor seems to lack the ability to balance correctly. "White Balance" should be within the center white circle but something is causing the camera to overcompensate to the opposite extremes.

RGB.png

Last edited:
It seems like it always comes up with the Mobius but I don't know about other cameras.

I use TapaTalk. I'm aware of (don't read 'em all) every post submitted at DCT, & I see card-related issues posted about what seems like pretty much every dashcam discussed on this site, e.g...

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/problems-with-micro-sd-card-for-blackvue-dr500.1814/

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mini-0801-problems-like-crazy.4437/#post-52523

My gut feeling is that Mobius generates more posts than any other camera, so it's not surprising that they include card issues. Not even the perfect GoPro range of cameras are immune from card issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use TapaTalk. I'm aware of (don't read 'em all) every post submitted at DCT, & I see card-related issues posted about what seems like pretty much every dashcam discussed on this site, e.g...

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/problems-with-micro-sd-card-for-blackvue-dr500.1814/

My gut feeling is that Mobius generates more posts than any other camera, so it's not surprising that they include card issues. Not even the perfect GoPro range of cameras are immune from card issues.

I'm certainly not surprised to hear of it happening elsewhere. Luckily for me it's not been an issue with the Mobius or any other camera. Interestingly, Nikon publishes specific card brands they require for their high end DSLRs and claim that brands they don't approve of can damage the cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like it always comes up with the Mobius but I don't know about other cameras.
The mini 0801 had similar problems, if not worse. At one point they couldn't find card that worked flawlessly. The problem also seemed to affect more users. So card problems seem common is some dash cams

Just for fun, maybe you could set the Color Options to Mono (b/w) and see if you get better definition in low light. I don't believe anybody has tried the Mono setting in low light it so far.

Yep. I can try that tomorow as I will be doing some night driving in variate light conditions.

Ok, here it is. The comparison between the v059 and v117 regarding pixelization.
Apart from the know issue with the fliped image on v117, the results look the same.

The alignment of the cameras was not precise, but its the same scene at the same time and location and light conditions. :)

Somehow the clock is not synched, altough I used the GUI on the same machine with the same settings (including clock synch).. o_O

Attachments

• v117.jpeg
    v117.jpeg
    688.4 KB · Views: 28
  • v059.jpeg
    v059.jpeg
    663.8 KB · Views: 26
Right,here are the results of my cable charging experiment with Mobius.
I tried 4 different cables to charge the Mobius with AC mains and each time with the camera off and then on to see if the heatsink would get hot.

Cable 1 - This(1/2 metre cable) came with the Mobius kit that i ordered.This was the initial cable that made the heatsink get really hot and made the heatsink get hotter if I turn the camera on while charging.But my pc recognizes the camera for me to access the files.
Cable 2 - Same as the above(but 3 metres long) and is used for charging via cig lighter in car.The heatsink became hot(camera turned off) and got hotter(camera turned on).My pc will not recognize it as Mobius and cannot access files on it.
Cable 3 - A PS3 controller charging cable.Heatsink felt cool to the touch while charging(camera off) and became hot when I turned the camera on.My pc will not recognize Mobius and cannot access files on it.
Cable 4 - A new cable.Heatsink felt cool while charging(camera off) and became hot when I turned the camera on.My pc will not recognize Mobius and cannot access files on it.So same results as Cable 3.

I just noticed that turning the camera on using internal power,the heatsink would get hot.
So,do I have a Mobius with perhaps faulty circuitry?
Bear in mind I have not tested the charging in car with cig lighter yet with camera off and on but will post results once i do.

I tried 4 different cables to charge the Mobius with AC mains and each time with the camera off and then on to see if the heatsink would get hot.

Cable 1 - This(1/2 metre cable) came with the Mobius kit that i ordered.This was the initial cable that made the heatsink get really hot and made the heatsink get hotter if I turn the camera on while charging.But my pc recognizes the camera for me to access the files.
Cable 2 - Same as the above(but 3 metres long) and is used for charging via cig lighter in car.The heatsink became hot(camera turned off) and got hotter(camera turned on).My pc will not recognize it as Mobius and cannot access files on it.
Cable 3 - A PS3 controller charging cable.Heatsink felt cool to the touch while charging(camera off) and became hot when I turned the camera on.My pc will not recognize Mobius and cannot access files on it.
Cable 4 - A new cable.Heatsink felt cool while charging(camera off) and became hot when I turned the camera on.My pc will not recognize Mobius and cannot access files on it.So same results as Cable 3.

I just noticed that turning the camera on using internal power,the heatsink would get hot.
Bear in mind I have not tested the charging in car with cig lighter yet with camera off and on but will post results once i do.

Not sure if it's been asked but what you plugging the standard USB cable end into when you charge off mains? i.e. Apple/Blackberry charger

When you power it on, what light/color shows? I'm charging mine with an iPad 2 power adapter and the included Mobius USB cable and everything is cold.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's been asked but what you plugging the standard USB cable end into when you charge off mains? i.e. Apple/Blackberry charger
An AC/USB adaptor like the smartphone ones.

When you power it on, what light/color shows? I'm charging mine with an iPad 2 power adapter and the included Mobius USB cable and everything is cold.
I've set my Mobius to Power On - Auto Record so when it's powered on,amber and red light starts blinking.Press power to stop recording and the green light stays constant and camera is being charged.
Yeah,only with "certain" usb cables that I use to charge the camera with that the heatsink is cool to the touch as I stated in my previous post.
But with the supplied cable that came with the Mobius kit,the heatsink gets hot while charging,even with the camera turned off.

An AC/USB adaptor like the smartphone ones.

I've set my Mobius to Power On - Auto Record so when it's powered on,amber and red light starts blinking.Press power to stop recording and the green light stays constant and camera is being charged.
Yeah,only with "certain" usb cables that I use to charge the camera with that the heatsink is cool to the touch as I stated in my previous post.
But with the supplied cable that came with the Mobius kit,the heatsink gets hot while charging,even with the camera turned off.
Ok then that's the answer. When you plug it in it starts recording. Amber and red blinking mean it's recording and the heat sinks would get hot. Still not sure why when it's off

Ok then that's the answer. When you plug it in it starts recording. Amber and red blinking mean it's recording and the heat sinks would get hot. Still not sure why when it's off
I think I've narrowed it down to the 2 particular USB cables that came with the camera(in the kit) that's causing the heat sink to get hot and for whatever reason, I don't have a clue. It also does not explain why the camera itself gets hot running on internal battery while recording?

I think I've narrowed it down to the 2 particular USB cables that came with the camera(in the kit) that's causing the heat sink to get hot and for whatever reason, I don't have a clue. It also does not explain why the camera itself gets hot running on internal battery while recording?
The heat sinks should get very hot while recording. The camera itself should get warm, not hot. If your whole casing is getting, not from being the sun, then you should write the seller.

The heat sinks should get very hot while recording. The camera itself should get warm, not hot. If your whole casing is getting, not from being the sun, then you should write the seller.
Ah,thanks for that mate as I had no idea of what measure to compare to regarding the heatsink heat issue.
My heatsink(as far as I can feel with my hands) is the only part of the camera that does get hot while recording,but not the actual case itself.
If this is the case,then that means my camera is operating normally within the heat limits?
Another thing that I found somewhat interesting is that only some usb/mini usb cables can charge and transfer data with the Mobius.
I thought all these usb/mini usb cables were all the same?

Ah,thanks for that mate as I had no idea of what measure to compare to regarding the heatsink heat issue.
My heatsink(as far as I can feel with my hands) is the only part of the camera that does get hot while recording,but not the actual case itself.
If this is the case,then that means my camera is operating normally within the heat limits?
Another thing that I found somewhat interesting is that only some usb/mini usb cables can charge and transfer data with the Mobius.
I thought all these usb/mini usb cables were all the same?
As Isoprop was trying to explain, Not all USB cable are the same. Some have different pins for different things.

Power cables that can charge and record simultaneously have only 2 pins. When connected to a Mobius that is set to auto record on external power, the camera will start recording (Amber and red lights blinking) and subsequently get hot. So charging is done by pressing the power button after connecting the cable to turn the camera off.

Data Cables with 5 pins can charge and transfer data, just not charge and record at the same time. When connecting the Mobius, you should see a steady amber light and no heat. The camera senses it's connected to a computer and should not start recording. It can be charged if you enable USB Data Port Charging in the GUI.

The table below shows all the possible cable connections. In practice you will only need max. 2 different cables. The Mobius is normally sold with a universal cable harness.

MobiusUSBPins.jpg

Last edited:
As Isoprop was trying to explain, Not all USB cable are the same. Some have different pins for different things.

Power cables that can charge and record simultaneously have only 2 pins. When connected to a Mobius that is set to auto record on external power, the camera will start recording (Amber and red lights blinking) and subsequently get hot. So charging is done by pressing the power button after connecting the cable to turn the camera off.

Data Cables with 5 pins can charge and transfer data, just not charge and record at the same time. When connecting the Mobius, you should see a steady amber light and no heat. The camera senses it's connected to a computer and should not start recording. It can be charged if you enable USB Data Port Charging in the GUI.

The table below shows all the possible cable connections. In practice you will only need max. 2 different cables. The Mobius is normally sold with a universal cable harness.

MobiusUSBPins.jpg
Thanks again for clearing that up mate,your a champ:cool:.
Mind you, I did read through this entire thread from the very first post although some of the stuff didn't make much sense at the time but sure does now as I delve deeper into the workings of the Mobius.
Thanks for all your help(so far:) lol) GJHS.
I'm a sucker for knowledge and how things work,hence the questions and back and forth conversing hehe.

Back