Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Thanks again for clearing that up mate,your a champ:cool:.
Mind you, I did read through this entire thread from the very first post although some of the stuff didn't make much sense at the time but sure does now as I delve deeper into the workings of the Mobius.
Thanks for all your help(so far:) lol) GJHS.
I'm a sucker for knowledge and how things work,hence the questions and back and forth conversing hehe.
No problem, glad I could help

Just for fun, maybe you could set the Color Options to Mono (b/w) and see if you get better definition in low light. I don't believe anybody has tried the Mono setting in low light it so far.

Ok, just did that. I combined a clip with night driving in several light conditions. From coutry road no lights other then headlights (first 1:25) to city environment with low, medium and good luminosity.

I drive this same roads every week, and I don't remenber how the color version looked like, but the mono version looks pretty good. Better then I expected, really.

Edit: Almost forgot. v1.13, 1080p 30fps, narrow, fliped, default advanced image settings othter then mono mode.

Last edited:
Noticed today that the WB seems to flash from whatever it decides is good to a bluer color and then back to whatever it decides is good every once in a while for a few frames. This happens even when sitting and nothing really changing outside. FW 1.13. Happens with both my rear mobius (A) but much more with my front mobius (B). This may be that my rear window is tinted.

Sj3QmD1.jpg

Original-Parked

EnBOPjU.jpg

WB Blue Flash-Parked

Noticed today that the WB seems to flash from whatever it decides is good to a bluer color and then back to whatever it decides is good every once in a while for a few frames. This happens even when sitting and nothing really changing outside. FW 1.13. Happens with both my rear mobius (A) but much more with my front mobius (B). This may be that my rear window is tinted.

As someone who has had a lot of experience with fixed CCTV camera systems I can tell you that you'd probably be surprised by how much actually changes in a static scene that goes unnoticed by the eye yet is un-missed by the camera. Just a subtle shift in the clouds, daylight and/or shadows can cause a reaction from the camera, either with exposure, color balance or both. Sometimes even something like a bird flying by causes the camera to adjust but by the time you look the bird is gone. On the other hand, the better quality cameras seem better able to contend with more subtle transient shifts in conditions. Mobius seems to struggle with this issue and has for awhile now. Hopefully, this problem will be addressed eventually.

Edit: In post # 185 I presented the RGB color wheel chart with the white balance circle in the center that attempted to offer some background for the color theory behind this and the observation that the Mobius overcompensates to the opposite end of the spectrum, apparently on a hair trigger!

Last edited by a moderator:
I only noticed it when using Registrator Viewer at 16x, then went back to check. Today was a super windy, cloud flying day, and if it was picking up those changes I would think it would have changed even more but your reasoning makes sense.

I would love to take it off auto WB but surroundings, shadows, colors, change so much when driving I would suspect that if I changed it to one WB I would lose out in brightness or shadows in some circumstances.

I guess its a balancing act. If it changes to quick and then back we get what I posted, a quick flash then back to normal followed by more. If its set to change slower then we may miss something because the WB didn't change appropriately. I wish their was an auto WB sensitivity slide I could mess with.

I'd suspect for RC plane use they really need the movement detection to remain sensitive, it is after all the primary market for the camera

I only noticed it when using Registrator Viewer at 16x, then went back to check. Today was a super windy, cloud flying day, and if it was picking up those changes I would think it would have changed even more but your reasoning makes sense.

I would love to take it off auto WB but surroundings, shadows, colors, change so much when driving I would suspect that if I changed it to one WB I would lose out in brightness or shadows in some circumstances.

I guess its a balancing act. If it changes to quick and then back we get what I posted, a quick flash then back to normal followed by more. If its set to change slower then we may miss something because the WB didn't change appropriately. I wish their was an auto WB sensitivity slide I could mess with.
That kind of color shift has been discussed a lot going a long. I posted it back a few pages back and has happened in MD as well.

The oversensitivity could be part of the problem but my theory is that it is more likely an issue of overcompensation and the fact that the developer has had such trouble taming this beast in the firmware over many revisions makes me wonder whether the issue is inherent in the DSP they've chosen. It's not that the camera shouldn't react instantaneously to any changes it perceives it's a question of what it does with the new information. If it could be adjusted to change slower as you suggest, I believe it would likely lead to other problems and complaints.

Here's the RGB chart again for easy reference and to illustrate what I believe is happening here. The yellow bias in your first image is jumping past the mid point circle of white balance to the second screen shot's blue bias on opposite side of the RGB chart. (overcompensating)

vBbTobu.png

Last edited:
So, I haven't upgraded my firmware in a while.

I'm currently on 0.59, however, seeing as though reading through the forums, that there have been problems with newer firmwares.

Should I upgrade, or stay on 0.59?

So, I haven't upgraded my firmware in a while.

I'm currently on 0.59, however, seeing as though reading through the forums, that there have been problems with newer firmwares.

Should I upgrade, or stay on 0.59?

I'm not sure there is an easy yes or no answer to this question. I've been pretty happy with v1.13 along with the new features it provides for in the GUI. There's no harm in trying it out as you can always go back to V0.59 if you wish. For example, I wasn't too pleased with my experience with v1.17 and simply went back one version.

HERE's a handy place to download all the existing firmware versions.

Do you more experienced mobius dash cam users tweak the setting at all?

Specifically sharpness (at what point do you get hallos and other artifacts) & contrast (my vids seem a bit dark and the exposure setting is usually too big a gun to use when you want a bit of a tweak).

Or do you not tweak at all and just do any needed tweaks in post?

From my experience increasing the sharpness on any digital camera seems to do the complete opposite, the standard settings are normally best

Do you more experienced mobius dash cam users tweak the setting at all?

Specifically sharpness (at what point do you get hallos and other artifacts) & contrast (my vids seem a bit dark and the exposure setting is usually too big a gun to use when you want a bit of a tweak).

Or do you not tweak at all and just do any needed tweaks in post?
Moving it a click or two on the slider has an insignificant effect on the picture. So if you're going to go there, go big.
I think the most important tweaks would be to ring out the most for low light performance yet would make the day unusable. To me the standards are good for most if not all situations.

Though I thought to go Sepia, just to stand out from the crowd. You know break out, start a revolution

I'm not sure there is an easy yes or no answer to this question. I've been pretty happy with v1.13 along with the new features it provides for in the GUI. There's no harm in trying it out as you can always go back to V0.59 if you wish. For example, I wasn't too pleased with my experience with v1.17 and simply went back one version.

HERE's a handy place to download all the existing firmware versions.

Thanks.

Any reason you've not gone to 1.17?

A lot of people didn't upgrade to v1.17. It was originally introduced BETA to fix a card compatibility problem some people were having. It allowed people to use the cards that didn't originally work; at the same had the opposite effect for some. The cards that worked originally, now didn't work. They then released another version or revision of v1.17 to fix that problem.

There is also a bug that causes pixelation in the video if you rotate the picture, which most, if not all dash cam users do due to the tripod mount location.

Lastly there was WDR. Low Light. It maximized the cameras ability in low light and unfortunately made day time footage over exposed and unusable.

There have been a lot of firmware upgrades with this camera and usually they're improvements and stable. This one was to fix a specific problem and again BETA, so if your card worked there was no reason to upgrade. The second version of v1.17 is better, yet agin there is no improvement unless you have a card problem.

I've set mine to Monochrome (B&W) out of curiousity. I like the results (click on 'HD' for best playback quality)...

Mobius B. v1.13. 1080p/30. Wide Mode. Standard Bitrate (file size same as full colour mode). Inverted. Default Advanced Image Settings (other then Monochrome). The 'raw' file (107MB download) is available here...

https://mega.co.nz/#!Rd9z0bLb!X22RZhaLd6o6RX5l6XquVqgaVjsYWK8Hcw2pCXSKjrk

Last edited:
I've set mine to Monochrome (B&W) out of curiousity. I like the results...

Aside from the cool sort of "retro" look do you notice any practical advantages such as an increased ability to read license plate numbers vs the same footage shot in color?

Aside from the cool sort of "retro" look do you notice any practical advantages such as an increased ability to read license plate numbers vs the same footage shot in color?

To be sure I'd have to record clips using two Mobius B cams simultaneously... one set to monochrome, the other to standard colour. I currently only have one Mobius... but watch this space...

Back