Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

To be sure I'd have to record clips using two Mobius B cams simultaneously... one set to monochrome, the other to standard colour. I currently only have one Mobius... but watch this space...

That would be cool! Even a comparison of similar footage shot with the single camera, perhaps driving down the same street on the same day could be enlightening.

Aside from the cool sort of "retro" look do you notice any practical advantages such as an increased ability to read license plate numbers vs the same footage shot in color?

I've been checking the raw clip on my iPad... 10" 'Retina' screen gives much better resolution & smoother playback than my 17" laptop.

Pausing the clip shows the plates of oncoming vehicles with excellent clarity... no need to 'zoom-in'. Combined speed approximately 80mph.

I always thought black and white looked clearer then color. But I think its hard to really prove in a scientific manner vs our subjective selves (without fancy insturuments and devices that go "Ping!"). With color gone your brain doesnt have to deal with all that extra input and it can focus more on the details. But is it really clearer? Or is it that lack of distractions making it seem clearer? Much the way depth of field works in a camera...perceived in focus vs actual in focus.

I always thought black and white looked clearer then color. But I think its hard to really prove in a scientific manner vs our subjective selves (without fancy insturuments and devices that go "Ping!"). With color gone your brain doesnt have to deal with all that extra input and it can focus more on the details. But is it really clearer? Or is it that lack of distractions making it seem clearer? Much the way depth of field works in a camera...perceived in focus vs actual in focus.

I guess for our purposes "scientific manner" means whether we can read the license plate numbers when we need to or not. Whether it is "actually" clearer or sharper becomes irrelevant.

I've been checking the raw clip on my iPad... 10" 'Retina' screen gives much better resolution & smoother playback than my 17" laptop.

Pausing the clip shows the plates of oncoming vehicles with excellent clarity... no need to 'zoom-in'. Combined speed approximately 80mph.

OK, I guess I'm going to start experimenting with black & white too! Thanks Russ. It occurs to me that it might be worth trying to simply view color video footage in black & white using VLC to see if one can pull more detail out of footage when needed. That's on my list now too.

I guess for our purposes "scientific manner" means whether we can read the license plate numbers when we need to or not. Whether it is "actually" clearer or sharper becomes irrelevant.

True. But I still have a need to know!

Stupid need...go away...grrrrrrrrfphhft...phhhhfttt...ftt...t...

A lot of people didn't upgrade to v1.17. It was originally introduced BETA to fix a card compatibility problem some people were having. It allowed people to use the cards that didn't originally work; at the same had the opposite effect for some. The cards that worked originally, now didn't work. They then released another version or revision of v1.17 to fix that problem.

There is also a bug that causes pixelation in the video if you rotate the picture, which most, if not all dash cam users do due to the tripod mount location.

Lastly there was WDR. Low Light. It maximized the cameras ability in low light and unfortunately made day time footage over exposed and unusable.

There have been a lot of firmware upgrades with this camera and usually they're improvements and stable. This one was to fix a specific problem and again BETA, so if your card worked there was no reason to upgrade. The second version of v1.17 is better, yet agin there is no improvement unless you have a card problem.

Thanks, much appreciated :) I don't know whether to upgrade because I suppose if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but at the same time, you never know that upgrading to 1.13 may improve quality. I'll have a think :)

I don't know whether to upgrade because I suppose if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but at the same time, you never know that upgrading to 1.13 may improve quality. I'll have a think

As I mention previously, keep in mind that if you want to try out another firmware version like 1.13 you are not stuck with it if you are not happy. You can go back to the version you had previously or any other version you like.

Thanks, much appreciated :) I don't know whether to upgrade because I suppose if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but at the same time, you never know that upgrading to 1.13 may improve quality. I'll have a think :)
V1.13 is a big upgrade with new features like motion detect, improved color and multiple adjustments. Definitely upgrade, just avoid the BETA v1.17

Eletoponline365 don't list Mobius B on their website, so I sent them a message requesting confirmation of price & availability from stock. They replied...

"It's OK! We are testing on wide angle lense module mobius camera, it is still not released now".

I recall at least one other person receiving the same message from Eletoponline365. It makes me wonder whether Mobius will shortly be launching Mobius C with a wider lens than Mobius B?

Anyway, I've sent them a photo of Mobius B & pointed out that I've owned one since last September, so they will hopefully now acknowledge that they probably can send me one today.

Update. I've just received this reply...

"Thanks for your reply. Sorry, friend, we just have some wide angle lense module mobius camera on testing before, it is out of our office now".

WTF?

Last edited:
Eletoponline365 don't list Mobius B on their website, so I sent them a message requesting confirmation of price & availability from stock. They replied...

"It's OK! We are testing on wide angle lense module mobius camera, it is still not released now".

I recall at least one other person receiving the same message from Eletoponline365. It makes me wonder whether Mobius will shortly be launching Mobius C with a wider lens than Mobius B?

Anyway, I've sent them a photo of Mobius B & pointed out that I've owned one since last September, so they will hopefully now acknowledge that they probably can send me one today.
Hmm weird, I wonder if there is a demand for such a wide, fish eye lens? Maybe replacing the B?

Update. I've just received this reply...
"Thanks for your reply. Sorry, friend, we just have some wide angle lense module mobius camera on testing before, it is out of our office now".
WTF?
Two very strange replies indeed! Who was the mail from? Maybe just a helping hand using Eletoponline365's email address.
On the other hand, maybe they are running short of 'B' lenses and have sold all their stock to the resellers. I know the developer is constantly testing new lenses, but I'm not aware of him testing a different wide-angle lens. Some confusion somewhere!

Two very strange replies indeed! Who was the mail from? Maybe just a helping hand using Eletoponline365's email address.
On the other hand, maybe they are running short of 'B' lenses and have sold all their stock to the resellers. I know the developer is constantly testing new lenses, but I'm not aware of him testing a different wide-angle lens. Some confusion somewhere!

I contacted Eletoponline365 through the eBay messaging service, so they're not traditional emails, & the writer(s) are anonymous. If you know of an email address I can use to contact someone who knows the product range, I'd be grateful.

Could it mean that Mobius is switching to a new supplier for the wide angle lens, & it may be a different specification, possibly not 7 element Japanese?

I contacted Eletoponline365 through the eBay messaging service, so they're not traditional emails, & the writer(s) are anonymous. If you know of an email address I can use to contact someone who knows the product range, I'd be grateful.

Could it mean that Mobius is switching to a new supplier for the wide angle lens, & it may be a different specification, possibly not 7 element Japanese?
Like I said, the developer is always searching and assessing different lenses, but I am not aware that he's looking for a replacement for the B lens.
I don't know if Eletoponline365 wants his email address revealed to the public, but I don't see any reason why not. So far his correct address has never been posted in the RCG Mobius thread, so I'll leave it at that for the moment. There may also be different people behind his address as well.

Like I said, the developer is always searching and assessing different lenses, but I am not aware that he's looking for a replacement for the B lens.
I don't know if Eletoponline365 wants his email address revealed to the public, but I don't see any reason why not. So far his correct address has never been posted in the RCG Mobius thread, so I'll leave it at that for the moment. There may also be different people behind his address as well.
Maybe it would be easier if someone who knows the emailimage.jpgCould write and ask if there are any changes. Just who could we get? :rolleyes:

Seeing that many other sellers still have the B lens I think its just a stock issue combined with a communication issue.

Ten days ago I ordered some Mobius parts from Banggood, my first time ordering from them and much to my pleasant surprise everything showed up in today's mail, all in good order. This is some of the fastest free shipping to the Northeastern US from China I have experienced in years of buying Asian goods. I see that they have the B lens in stock and the price is a minimum of 10 USD less than any price I currently see for it on eBay and this is without the available 5% discount you can get from them. So Russ, if the issue here is that you are in the market for a Mobius B lens module forget about hassling with Eletoponline365 for the time being and click your way over to Banggood.

Ten days ago I ordered some Mobius parts from Banggood, my first time ordering from them and much to my pleasant surprise everything showed up in today's mail, all in good order. This is some of the fastest free shipping to the Northeastern US from China I have experienced in years of buying Asian goods. I see that they have the B lens in stock and the price is a minimum of 10 USD less than any price I currently see for it on eBay and this is without the available 5% discount you can get from them. So Russ, if the issue here is that you are in the market for a Mobius B lens module forget about hassling with Eletoponline365 for the time being and click your way over to Banggood.

I take you received your super cap? Still waiting for mine :( It might aarive this morning though (fingers crossed) :)

So Russ, if the issue here is that you are in the market for a Mobius B lens module forget about hassling with Eletoponline365 for the time being and click your way over to Banggood.

I have finally established with Eletoponline365 that they are simply out of stock of the Mobius B camera. I requested that they send me a message when it's back in stock. They replied that I should contact them next month.

I've taken your advice & placed an order with Banggood for 1 Mobius B camera (not just lens module) & 1 SuperCap. The 5% discount worked on the SuperCap but not on the camera ... something to do with the price having already been discounted.

Total $77.68 including shipping to UK.

Did your package show a declared value of, say, $50 to avoid import duties?

Back