Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Thanks for the feedback!

I will probably end up using the tips above (hide it into a common object), but just for my own curiosity: is there really no technical solution for my original issue (timing when to record video)?
Unfortunately I don't have a very technical background, so I can't figure it out myself, but I mean we live in 2015 and there's no possibility to do this? :)

Just curious if there is a solution ;-)

You might be able to use a small 12v DC timer module inside whatever object you choose to hide the camera in but you would need to come up with a suitable power supply. Some members here have used them as DIY dash camera timers, but of course, they run them off their 12V car batteries. In any case, it would be worth exploring this option to see if it might work for you.

These timers are widely available on eBay and elsewhere. See THIS link for eBay examples. (US)

timer.jpg timer2.jpg

If you intend to go down the external power pack route you will probably need a 20,000 mAH to power it for 18 hours, I don't think 6600 mAH would last long enough. Take a look at the Batteries and Capacitors forum for more info, link is: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/batteries-and-capacitors.87/

I get 17 hours out of my 8000mah battery.

A USB timer, similar to a timer for a wall outlet, must exist. If so, your camera could go for a long time if you are just doing a few hours here and there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all.
I've been using Mobius wide lens for like 6 months now with lighter USB adapter. The lighter fuse has been blown twice in last few weeks. What may be wrong? Does the camera draw too much current when heated too much? The adapter is a bit loose inside the lighter socket. Could this have something to do with it? I haven't seen anything nothing wrong with the car's operation and battery.

Hi all.
I've been using Mobius wide lens for like 6 months now with lighter USB adapter. The lighter fuse has been blown twice in last few weeks. What may be wrong? Does the camera draw too much current when heated too much? The adapter is a bit loose inside the lighter socket. Could this have something to do with it? I haven't seen anything nothing wrong with the car's operation and battery.

It sounds like you have an intermittent short circuit in the cigarette lighter USB adapter or the USB cable. The cigarette lighter adapter is the most likely culprit.

Another small possibility it the plug ground contact may be shorting inside the socket. It you take a light and look into a lighter socket (not a power socket) you'll see two wide 'prongs' at the bottom; these are the 'hot' conductor which holds the nose of a cigarette a lighter till it warms up and pops out. Some plugs ground contact can touch that when inserted and short it out.

Remember where those prongs are, and when you insert any plug in the socket align the ground contact between them, not in line with them. I've had this happen to me a few times and I've known several others who've experienced this as well. Kind of rare but it does happen once in awhile.

Phil

I get 17 hours out of my 8000mah battery.

A USB timer, similar to a timer for a wall outlet, must exist. If so, your camera could go for a long time if you are just doing a few hours here and there.

Confirmed, I also did a test and I started my camera + 6600 battery pack fully charged at 4:30 PM and it stopped around 12:30 PM with motion detection on and around 40 minutes of recordings (1080p 30 fps standard rate and narrow view to avoid the fish eye effect on my C lens)

Last edited:
Can anybody help me in setting my Mobius C2 w/ capacitor? The camera came with a used 32 gb micro SDHC, this had the files shown below and most current firmware.
mobius files.jpg
I actually formatted a new Kingston 32 gb card in mSetup and copied the files over. Followed a video in YouTube for configuring for dashcam which seemed to work fine for setting the parameters. Once I finished I created a profile then hit the Set Parameters button which disconnects you, then you start MSetup again, there is a Profile drop down that had the original profile that was on the old card I copied from and the new profile I just created, I also Saved the Profile, not sure what that actually did. I read about the SYSCFG.TXT in the user manual but that process assumes you have a battery, because it tells you to disconnect from PC, no good with capacitor so this is a little foggy. Anyways, connected up in auto and gave it a spin and no .mov files. Can someone please give me some direction to get over this hump, thanks.

Can anybody help me in setting my Mobius C2 w/ capacitor? The camera came with a used 32 gb micro SDHC, this had the files shown below and most current firmware.
View attachment 16297
I actually formatted a new Kingston 32 gb card in mSetup and copied the files over. Followed a video in YouTube for configuring for dashcam which seemed to work fine for setting the parameters. Once I finished I created a profile then hit the Set Parameters button which disconnects you, then you start MSetup again, there is a Profile drop down that had the original profile that was on the old card I copied from and the new profile I just created, I also Saved the Profile, not sure what that actually did. I read about the SYSCFG.TXT in the user manual but that process assumes you have a battery, because it tells you to disconnect from PC, no good with capacitor so this is a little foggy. Anyways, connected up in auto and gave it a spin and no .mov files. Can someone please give me some direction to get over this hump, thanks.
Never mind, I figured it out, reformatted and re-configured the default profile, didn't take changes before... tested it this morning and I have plenty of ..mov files...
Noticed with c2 lense getting a lot of glare/flare when driving into the morning sun... I need to design a 3d polarize lens holder and have someone 3d-print it for me.

I just purchased two of the C2 lens 820mA bat units mounted as dash cams in car. Both are connected via USB2 cable to 1Amp cig lighter adapter. Both cameras are configured to power on and record when powered, and go into Motion Detect mode when power is lost. Everything working as expected, however, when units are completely discharged (I assume), BOTH units power up in STANDBY MODE (solid yellow light) and do not start recording. I simply have to unplug, wait 5 sec, and plug back in -- they then power up correctly and start recording. Anyone have any suggestions for this? I want to have both units professionally wired inside dash, so I will not have ability to unplug and replug to cycle cameras once this is done, which means I would have to unplug from back of both units -- this can be inconvenient if I have to do this every 2-3 startups.

You could have the power to the hard-wire set-up go through a manual switch to accomplish the same thing- flip the switch instead of unplug/plug in.

Phil

Shouldn't be a problem, you're only drawing ~2A for the cams and adding in losses for the voltage conversion 1A more at the very most. So 3A total would work, but I'd design for 4-5A total load just to be sure there's always enough juice. At that level a switch can easily handle the load and you've probably got a few circuits existing in every car which could handle that small added load too. That's the detail you'd have to check for each car; not every fuse slot will have 3-5A more capacity left in it.

If you've already got a hardwire set-up for one cam, you'd need to check it's specs to see if it can handle 2 cams. Total output load here would be 2-3A max. Again you'll have to check what you've got available at the fuse tap too.

Phil

Shouldn't be a problem, you're only drawing ~2A for the cams and adding in losses for the voltage conversion 1A more at the very most. So 3A total would work, but I'd design for 4-5A total load just to be sure there's always enough juice. At that level a switch can easily handle the load and you've probably got a few circuits existing in every car which could handle that small added load too. That's the detail you'd have to check for each car; not every fuse slot will have 3-5A more capacity left in it.

If you've already got a hardwire set-up for one cam, you'd need to check it's specs to see if it can handle 2 cams. Total output load here would be 2-3A max. Again you'll have to check what you've got available at the fuse tap too.

Phil
Thanks!

I just purchased two of the C2 lens 820mA bat units mounted as dash cams in car. Both are connected via USB2 cable to 1Amp cig lighter adapter. Both cameras are configured to power on and record when powered, and go into Motion Detect mode when power is lost. Everything working as expected, however, when units are completely discharged (I assume), BOTH units power up in STANDBY MODE (solid yellow light) and do not start recording. I simply have to unplug, wait 5 sec, and plug back in -- they then power up correctly and start recording. Anyone have any suggestions for this? I want to have both units professionally wired inside dash, so I will not have ability to unplug and replug to cycle cameras once this is done, which means I would have to unplug from back of both units -- this can be inconvenient if I have to do this every 2-3 startups.

IIRC Dashmellow, myself and maybe a few others have on occasions have to unplug and plug back to make the Mobius work. That was in extremely cold winter temps. In my case it had not happen since spring till now. I've not setup mine to motion detect. just straight camera on-off on car start/stop.
If you're getting a pro to hard wire yours, tell him to add in a NC (normally closed) momentary switch to the 12V side which powers your 2 cams.Can be push button or toggle. Your 2 cams will have it's own stepdown transformers supplying 5Vdc to it individually. This way should your cams not starting all you have to do is press the switch and release. Will be the same as unplug and plug back.

I charged up my Mobius last week to full capacity and I finally put it in my car as a dashcam today. I used it for around 50 minutes, but when I got home, I noticed that none of the LEDs were on. I hotwired the USB to the car itself, and I thought that perhaps it wasn't supplying enough power to the Mobius. I went home and tried a couple cables and a cell phone charger + PC to charge the thing. Initially, I had the blue and green lights blinking, but after a while, I have no lights.

However, if I press the power button, or plug in power, I get a single blue LED flash and nothing else. I google'd the issue, and it looks like the following may be the culprit: "
Q. When the camera is turned on, the blue LED turns on for a second and then the yellow LED turns on as normal. However, the Mode and Shutter buttons don’t react and I can’t take any video or pictures. The camera is also not recognized by my PC as a removable drive.

A. The lens module ribbon cable is not connected properly or the lens module is damaged."

I don't think I damaged the lens module in any way, so I opened up the Mobius to see if the lens ribbon was loose. It did not appear so, but I removed it and put it back just in case.

I still am only getting a single blue LED flash when I push either the power button or I connect it to external power.

When I first plugged the Mobius in to the computer today, I was able to see it very briefly when using mSetup. However, I believe the Mobius became unresponsive after that and I was unable to access it again when plugging it into my computer.

Any ideas or suggestions on what could be the culprit?

Back