Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Missed your "link" on your initial post. I use similar. No problem.

Hi, I recently started using my Mobius as a dashcam and keep encountering a strange problem. It is set up to turn on and start filming whenever power is applied and is connected to a 5V USB source (converted from headlight 12V) via USB>miniUSB cable and an extension USB cable. The firmware is current. Sometimes when ignition is turned on instead of beginning to record it just charges the battery (green LED on). Yet sometimes it works as intended and starts filming (blinking yellow LED). I tried observing the red LED indicating battery level when the camera turns on and it usually gives 2-3 blinks, so I assume the battery is never empty, though I'm not sure why it isn't always full as well. What could be the problem here, if I understand correctly the camera should always start filming as soon as voltage is applied at current settings, when is it only supposed to charge? Is the source supplying insufficient current?

Thank you.

So about a year of flawless performance seemed to have ran into an issue.

Rear LED is solid RED, and the yellow LED flashes 1 per sec then rapidly then the camera turns off.

I have formatted the SD Card (within the software) H2Testw on it and it passed, I tried another SD Card which gives me the same issues.

The card popups in windows and I can Read/Write to it when I plug my camera in.

I have also updated the firmware but nothing.

Any Ideas?

Last edited:
have you tried it with the battery back in there?

memory card or power related problems are the two usual suspects

have you tried it with the battery back in there?

memory card or power related problems are the two usual suspects

Not sure were the battery is any more haha, I seem to have eliminated the SDcard as the issue, so ill just buy another supercap I guess and see where that takes me, thanks

I've just fitted a Mobius C2 with super capacitor to my VW Passat CC. It's hard-wired into the 12V cigarette lighter fuse via an add-a-circuit arrangement. The PSU is a Chinese black box that drops the voltage from 12V to 5V and cuts the power if the battery voltage drops below 11.85V (I suspect that this feature is for dashcams which are left running in Park Mode but this doesn't apply to my Mobius). It starts recording when I turn the engine on but my car has a stop-start feature that turns the engine off when the car stops and restarts it when the clutch is depressed to move off. Whenever the engine cuts out like this the dashcam keeps recording as the 12V socket is still live but when the engine restarts the camera stops recording. I'm guessing that this is because the voltage across the PSU momentarily drops below 11.85V when the starter motor draws current from the electrics and so the PSU cuts the power. Is this likely to be the explanation? Is there any adjustment I can make via the setup utility to compensate for this or do I just need a new PSU?
Thanks!

EDIT - I did some googling & it appears that this is quite a common problem. It's possible that the circuit to the 12V socket is getting cut when the engine is starting. There may be other circuits that remain open when the engine starts so I might try tapping off the supply to the radio. Any help or suggestions gratefully received!

Last edited:
Hello everyone, and thank you for this useful thread that give us some hope to get some answer about mobius' dysfunction.

My error is quite simple:
- my mobius does not turn on
- when I plug my USB cable (wall or PC), 1/ blue led blink's, then 2/ the green led blinks then 3/ no led at all.
- my mobius is not recognized by my PC.

For info:
- my mobius is 3 weeks old
- my mobius worked until last week

Thank you very much for your help!

@dw199
This is a known problem and you should search for a power tap location that stays fully powered-up during starter operation. There is no setting for input voltage variation in the camera. Another solution would be to run the dashcam on a powerbank which has "feed through charging"; in other words will allow it to be charged from the cigarette lighter as it needs while continuously having output power to your cam. Not all powerbanks will do this.

@RedRise
Are you sure that the Mobius is fully charged? Power the cam with it turned off for a few hours and try again. Many laptop/tablet PC's do not have enough amperage available through the USP ports to operate the camera unless the battery in the cam is otherwise charged. I think there's a listing of what the LED blinks indicate in the early part of this thread; that may also be of help.

Phil

I have an early mobius which has always seem to me to be slightly over exposed.
For example i can't make out the plate on the white car if i had needed it.

I have an early mobius which has always seem to me to be slightly over exposed.
For example i can't make out the plate on the white car if i had needed it.

Simply use the mSetup GUI on your computer to adjust the exposure to your preference.
Also, consider experimenting with the contrast and sharpness controls to optimize the camera for your situation.

Mobiusexpo.jpg

Whatever you do, a fast moving white car with white plates will always be a bit tricky to capture in bright sunlight.

Thanks. i will start experimenting this weekend.

Hello, I posted about this on RCGroups but since this is likely a different crowd I'm posting it here also. Apologies if most of you are also on RCGroups.

About a week ago my quad crashed and the Mobius fell off but looked and acted OK. When I went to review the next set of videos, however, all of them were severely out of focus. When putting some torque on the lens I felt some play so I took it apart and found that the threaded lens mount was cracked. Couldn't find just that as a replacement part so I decided to try gluing it with some CA. In order to do that I removed the lens, which was impossible to turn by hand so I used channel locks (yes I removed the lock screw). Surprisingly enough the fix seemed to have worked.

Next step was to get the lens refocused. I initially tried doing this with a 5" LCD and the composite output but this turned out to be futile due to the small screen. Next I decided to take pictures in 5 degree or so lens-turn increments and then set it to whichever position ended up taking the sharpest photo. Unfortunately next time I plugged the Mobius back into the PC I got the dreaded "unrecognized device" message. After some playing around it got even worse and the camera wouldn't turn on properly, only the blue LED would turn on or the blue LED and then battery status LED would turn on and go solid. The PC did recognize it a few times after that upon random connections but right now it's to the point where it won't even turn on any more. When I plug it into external power the green LED turns on so it's not completely dead. Battery is OK and I'm seeing 3.8V on the pins on the back of the PCB. PCB and USB port look fine based on visual inspection.

I'm thinking likely the ribbon cable which got stressed when I was cranking on the lens with the pliers? Even though I ohmed it out and it appears OK it could explain why things kept getting worse (more flex, more damage?)

Any other ideas/things I can try?

If not, where can get a replacement? Only thing I can find are the extension cables which I do not or want/need.

I only made about 10 recordings on it before this happened

@SawMaster & @Gabacho: letting my mobius few hours connected to power supply does not do any good! The User Manual (p15, Q#3) seems to indicate that the lens module is damaged (or not connected properly). I'll wait the end of my holidays to investigate deeper :(

Sup. I've a problem with my mobius C. I'm running latest 2.37 firmware and using Sandisk class10 16gb card. After a hard crash (flyin my mini quadcopter) my mobius started to act very inconsistantly. I power it on and start recording, and it only records for 1.5 - 5 mins and then it just gets stuck. Nothing, exept reset button, works at that state. It seems to be very random, since while yellow light is blinking, it gets stuck with it either on or off. Sometimes mobius gets stuck even while booting up (blue led comes in, red in the back flashes 3 and then yellow just doesn't turn on). Tried formatting micro sd and using another spare sd, also I tried to reinstall the latest firmware. Nothing helped. The worst thing about this is that all video footage gets lost. Any ideas ?

Back