Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

I've got an issue with my newly acquired Mobius. It doesn't seem to lock clips when I press the Mode button. I've tried all sorts of ways of pressing the button. Quickly, firmly, holding it. Nothing seems to result in a clip being locked (At least not from what I can see on my Mac. No permissions changes, no "uchg" or similar flags...).

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some setting I've missed?

Hello,
I'm hoping someone here can help me with a recent issue I've been experiencing with my Mobius. I've had it for almost a year and use it exclusively as a dashcam. I didn't have any issues at all for the first several months, but in August I sold my car and it sat unused for about a month before I put it in my 2nd vehicle. During this time, I purchased a super capacitor and replaced the battery with it.
I then started noticing that the timestamp was no longer saving and there were several gaps in recordings. I assumed the issue was the cap so I swapped the original battery back in and reconfigured the camera.
I was still getting gaps in recording, but the time was correct so I swapped memory cards to a smaller one, updated the firmware to the latest version and called it good.
Last night, and again this morning I noticed that the camera was not turning on automatically. If I pull the USB cable and plug it back in it turns right on as it should.

The USB adapter and cable are the same as I used in both previous vehicles. I'm not sure where to go next.

Hello,
I'm hoping someone here can help me with a recent issue I've been experiencing with my Mobius. I've had it for almost a year and use it exclusively as a dashcam. I didn't have any issues at all for the first several months, but in August I sold my car and it sat unused for about a month before I put it in my 2nd vehicle. During this time, I purchased a super capacitor and replaced the battery with it.
I then started noticing that the timestamp was no longer saving and there were several gaps in recordings. I assumed the issue was the cap so I swapped the original battery back in and reconfigured the camera.
I was still getting gaps in recording, but the time was correct so I swapped memory cards to a smaller one, updated the firmware to the latest version and called it good.
Last night, and again this morning I noticed that the camera was not turning on automatically. If I pull the USB cable and plug it back in it turns right on as it should.

The USB adapter and cable are the same as I used in both previous vehicles. I'm not sure where to go next.

I am experiencing a similar problem to the portion in the quote above that I have highlighted in red.
From time to time, my camera does not start when I start the vehicle. I have to either start it manually or unplug it
from the adapter & reingage it & that does not always work - sometimes I have to restart the car.
The "first" time I noticed this was after I had "remote" started the vehicle. For sure it does not want to turn itself on when the car is remote started.
However, since then, it has been hit or miss as to whether it turns itself on or not. The red power light indicator on the adapter is lighted but does
not seem to power the camera o_O I'm wondering if perhaps it's a bad cable but then why is it only happening now ?? The weather has changed here -
gone cold & I'm wondering if that could be part of the issue ? Perhaps some members from other cold climate areas could chime in on this thought.
Not a major problem now that I'm used to checking for the red flashing light but thought I'd lend an additional voice to the soloz2 post.....

I've got an issue with my newly acquired Mobius. It doesn't seem to lock clips when I press the Mode button. I've tried all sorts of ways of pressing the button. Quickly, firmly, holding it. Nothing seems to result in a clip being locked (At least not from what I can see on my Mac. No permissions changes, no "uchg" or similar flags...).

Anyone?

Here's what I found. Using Mac OS X v10.10.5 , Mobius v2.37. I started a recording and locked two files by pressing the Mode button, just a normal press. Looking at the SD card in Finder I see the two files displayed with a tiny lock icon to the left of the file name. Doing a "Get Info" on the files shows them as "read only" and "Locked".

Hope this helps.

Here's what I found. Using Mac OS X v10.10.5 , Mobius v2.37. I started a recording and locked two files by pressing the Mode button, just a normal press. Looking at the SD card in Finder I see the two files displayed with a tiny lock icon to the left of the file name. Doing a "Get Info" on the files shows them as "read only" and "Locked".

Hope this helps.
I'm running the latest Mobius firmware (2.41), same Mac version as you, but no lock icons, or other indications that the files are locked.

I'm running the latest Mobius firmware (2.41), same Mac version as you, but no lock icons, or other indications that the files are locked.
Try manually locking a file through the Mac Finder and confirm that you do see the lock icon. You might also try another SD card. I had a problem similar to yours that was caused by a bad SD card preventing the file attributes from changing.

You might also try another SD card. I had a problem similar to yours that was caused by a bad SD card preventing the file attributes from changing.
I had no idea cards could do that. Which one do you use currently?

Yes, SD cards can fail in non-obvious ways. My failed card was a SanDisk Ultra 32GB Class 10. I'm currently using Kingston Digital 32 GB Class 4 cards in both my cameras. Once a month I remove the cards and verify that they can be read and reformatted in the Mac. The bad card could be read by the Mac but files could not be changed or deleted, and the card could not be reformatted by the Mac or Mobius.

Yes, SD cards can fail in non-obvious ways. My failed card was a SanDisk Ultra 32GB Class 10. I'm currently using Kingston Digital 32 GB Class 4 cards in both my cameras. Once a month I remove the cards and verify that they can be read and reformatted in the Mac. The bad card could be read by the Mac but files could not be changed or deleted, and the card could not be reformatted by the Mac or Mobius.

SanDisk cards, especially the SanDisk Ultra 32GB Class 10 should be avoided for use in dash cams. Of all the cards I've owned and used, the only failure has been with SanDisk.

Just checked. I'm able to lock files just fine, manually. I'm guessing file locking is just plain broken in the new version of the firmware... I guess I'll have to find some older version where it still worked.

I have v2.41 on my Mobius and have tried 3 different sd cards, all have failed to lock a file when the mode button is pressed.

I am not impressed with the video quality of the Mobius either, my Mini 0803 was able to read number plates on passing cars but the Mobius is just a blur.

To be fair, as with any camera, it depends a lot on the lighting conditions.

Here in the US, where license plates are smaller and sometimes of variable legibility/lettering/numbering size and design in the first place, capturing plates in motion can be quite a challenge.

life would be easier if we all had UK style plates, a lot of ours are even smaller than US plates

It's true that bigger plates are better for dash cam capture and police officers but I guess it depends on which side of the camera you are on! :D

I'm getting blurred plates with a combined speed of 60mph. In fact i sometimes have blurred plates on parked cars when i am doing 30mph! Are you using the narrow or wide FOV?

Narrow Mode. Mine is a Mobius B. I see you have a C2, which is supposedly superior to B. Might be a good idea if you posted some frame grabs or a brief video clip to illustrate your problem.

Last edited:
Looking at the manual it seems that wide FOV may give better results. I am also wondering if i have focus issues, will do some more testing.

Back