Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Hello,
My mobius has recently stopped recording images. All I get is purple lines. I've tried changing/formatting the card and the various firmwares but it's still not working.
Does anyone recognise this? I've attached a screenshot.
Just to say that it was the lens module at fault. I replaced it and the problem is resolved.

not really, I've had cards that have failed within a few weeks and some that have done a ridiculous amount of hours (400,000km's of driving is our best to date) but regardless checking the card regularly is always a good idea as it's the weak point in any camera
how can we know if the card is about to fail? or that it failed?
thanks

you will know it has failed when it stops working, you will never really know when it is about to fail though, can happen at any time

how can we know if the card is about to fail? or that it failed?
thanks

When the rear red LED stops slowly blinking as it always does during normal operation (assuming the camera is configured to show the Recording Indicator), it is a signal that there is a problem such as a failed SD card.

so anyone has a list of all the leds messages?
what does it mean when it goes yellow-green-yellow-green... etc for around a minute or so?
thanks

Hi, Im a new dashcam mobius user and have bit of a problem
-wide angle mobius with c3 lens with battery
-Kingston Digital 64GB Mobility Multi Kit Flash Memory Card with Reader (MBLY10G2/64GB).. this card is one of the recommended cards for mobius on the www.mobius-actioncam.com website
-set up using mac software from mobius action cam website
-upgraded to latest firmware (version 2.41)
-formatted card using in camera method as per mobius user guide.

Problem - records video fine but when i connect mobius to computer (have tried imac, macbookpro, & vista pc, the files video show up in mobius but if i transfer them to the computer and double click to open with quicktime (or vlc player), window comes up saying "converting" and then gives error saying quicktime (or vlc) cant open the file... if i double click the .mov file in the mobius itself, it will start playing fine but then at some random time later (10 secs, 40 secs, 2 mins, or not at all) the video freezes and i hear a loud static sound (like steady tv static)... if i close down quicktime (or vlc) and double click the file (on the mobius) again, it gives the same "converting" error as if i first transferred the file to the computer (as above).... i have to eject the mobius and reconnect before i can "successfully" start viewing the video again .... albeit for maybe another 20 secs .... very frustrating. When the video playback works, the mobius has an intermittent flashing yellow led light, when it freezes ... the flashing becomes regular flashing....
-have used the cable that came with the camera + tried one other. same problem
any suggestions or ideas?

nope, that i have already, thanks
there is no yellow-green-yellow-green there...

so anyone has a list of all the leds messages?
what does it mean when it goes yellow-green-yellow-green... etc for around a minute or so?
thanks

@Gabacho beat me to it but the manual will have the info you seek. Every Mobius owner should download a copy.

The Manual is available in numerous languages including Romanian.

The green just means your battery is charging. It will go away after the battery achieves a full charge. If you have a super-capacitor you might see it alternate between green and yellow periodically during operation depending on the power supply. This is normal.

Actually, the manual does explain this functionality.

"LED status indicator"

"Yellow LED slowly flashes (1 sec. On, 1 sec. Off): • The camera is in Video Mode 1 and is recording video"

"Green LED is on: • The battery is charging."

Think about this for a moment.

The green just means your battery is charging. It will go away after the battery achieves a full charge. If you have a super-capacitor you might see it alternate between green and yellow periodically during operation depending on the power supply. This is normal.
yes, i have super capacitor and it did this (alternate) for a few mins and was wondering what it means. great! then all is good!
thanks!

... if i transfer them to the computer and double click to open with quicktime (or vlc player), window comes up saying "converting" and then gives error saying quicktime (or vlc) cant open the file...

Welcome to DCT. Long paragraphs give me brain ache, so sorry if I misunderstand you.

Never attempt to play video directly from Mobius. Always copy files from Mobius to the computer HDD, & play the video from the computer HDD. If you're recording video in .AVI or .MP4 format, switch to .MOV ...

image.jpg

If the clips still won't play smoothly on the computer, insert the memory card into a phone or tablet to see if clips play ok on them. Also upload a clip from computer to YouTube. If the YouTube video plays ok, the problem is within your computer.

Never attempt to play video directly from Mobius. Always copy files from Mobius to the computer HDD, & play the video from the computer HDD.

I agree. This is the preferred practice and I always copy files from a Mobius (or other dash cam) to a folder on my computer desktop and play them from there.

On the other hand, on a Mac, I am indeed able to easily play video files directly from the Mobius SD card when it is mounted as a volume on my computer's desktop. I do this on occasion if I am in a hurry and just want to see what the camera is doing, such as after re-focusing or making some other change.

Actually, the manual does explain this functionality.

"LED status indicator"

"Yellow LED slowly flashes (1 sec. On, 1 sec. Off): • The camera is in Video Mode 1 and is recording video"

"Green LED is on: • The battery is charging."

Think about this for a moment.

it would be more clear if they were 2 different leds, or if they would appear as 2 different leds. they look as if its the same one. and the green led started blinking about 30-40 min after the camera was recording and i was driving. so it should've been green from the begining...
i guess it lights up only when he wants to with a capacitor :)

Hi,
I have a wide angle mobius with C lens (kingston 32GB) and small problem.

- when connected to car charger it should start recording automatically as it has been for almost a year or so, but not any more. Mobius does turn on, but it doesn't record or change mode even if mode or record -buttons are pressed. Only power button works when connected to external power source.
- charging works normally
- camera is not recognized as an external hard drive and mSetup can't find the camera
- it records fine and all buttons works when NOT connected to external power source and videos can be found from memory card if card is inserted to a card reader and connected to a computer.
- I am using same cables as always and they seem to work with other devices

Actions done so far:
- reset
- battery disconnected for a few minutes
- manual firmware update done though it was already up to date (2.41)

I did just receive a new car charger USB adapter (from china) so connecting to this can be a possible cause? Even with old usb adapter it doesn't work anymore.
But still everything works as far camera is not connected with a cable...

Welcome to DCT. Long paragraphs give me brain ache, so sorry if I misunderstand you.

Never attempt to play video directly from Mobius. Always copy files from Mobius to the computer HDD, & play the video from the computer HDD. If you're recording video in .AVI or .MP4 format, switch to .MOV ...

If the clips still won't play smoothly on the computer, insert the memory card into a phone or tablet to see if clips play ok on them. Also upload a clip from computer to YouTube. If the YouTube video plays ok, the problem is within your computer.

thanks Russ ... following in format to prevent brain ache :)

-Removed Kingston card from the Mobius and put directly into the computer …. could then watch videos uninterrupted on both Mac and PC using Quicktime

-So problem appears to be reading the 64G Kingston card via the Mobius …. (unlikely to be USB cable seeing used original one and one other with same result). If so that’s disappointing seeing I checked to see what SD cards they were selling with the Mobius on the www.mobius-actioncam.com website before purchasing this card …. Does that mean I've got an incompatible card? …. Could there be any other cause of this problem?

-On a separate note one other thing I've noted …. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that if you enable loop recording (dashcam use), the maximum clip length allowable is 5mins and that the msetup software will prevent you setting it for longer. The Mac set up program did appear to restrict this from my memory on initial set up, however yesterday when I set up video2 mode …. I set it on loop and it allowed me to do any length clip (15 minutes or maximum) …. I've set it to 15 minutes and recorded video and sure enough my video clips are 15 minutes in length …. Did I originally read incorrectly or has this restriction on loop mode been lifted?

... So problem appears to be reading the 64G Kingston card via the Mobius …. Does that mean I've got an incompatible card? …. I set it on loop and it allowed me to do any length clip (15 minutes or maximum) …. I've set it to 15 minutes and recorded video and sure enough my video clips are 15 minutes in length ….

Your memory card is fine (probably). DashCams generally don't make good card readers. Better results come from removing card from camera & using a card adapter / reader in the computer. Better still is to copy files to computer HDD & play from it.

Even then the results are a little stuttery on my £750 (but ancient) Windows laptop. I get smoother video playback with a £45 reconditioned Lenovo A7 Android Tablet!

Longer clip length options were introduced in firmware v2.37. I read somewhere that 'Maximum' doesn't work, & defaults to 10 minutes. Personally, I wouldn't use a clip length exceeding 5 minutes, to minimise loss of data from missing / corrupted files.

Last edited:
First post, been lurking since I first joined, and a novice to the dashcam realm. I have had my Mobius C2 w/ capacitor for a few weeks now. I am frustrated to the nth degree with night-time performance (and the adhesive windshield mount, but that is an offline matter). Could it be user parameter setting error or is it something with the hardware? The day time recording is very nice and sharp, no complaints there.

No matter the video player used on my Windows PC, the playback of all night recordings (MOV format) are inundated with blue vertical bars and have a very grainy appearance - nothing like the quality night videos I have watched here. Back country roads where there is no illumination except my headlights show the worse quality. Driving within city limits where there is illumination improves from streets lights and signage, the graininess and vertical blue bars reduce but are still present. I've searched the Mobius forum and found a few references to the blue bars and grainy appearance but could not gleam a fix from the content - if there is one. There seemed to be a liking to a much earlier version of the firmware (v0.59 I believe) for night time performance , but I am hesitant to go that far back. Sooo...

F/W v. 2.41
Bootloader v. 003

I am using the recommended settings for day time "dashcam mode" per the users manual in Mode 1. Mode 2, is my night mode, and I have tried the following:

Wide Dynamic Range was tried both "On" and "Low Light" on two different occasions.

The following parameters were used in both WDR test cases:
Field of View : "Wide"
Video Resolution : 1920x1080
Video Frame Rate: 30 fps

Nothing in the Advanced Image Settings tab has been changed from defaults, as I presume these apply strictly to Photo Mode, all sliders are "Normal", White Balance is "Auto".

Could it be my LCD monitor? Could it be the distance between the lens and windshield? I haven't measured the distance in my setup and won't be able to until I fix the windshield mount.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks !

upload_2016-2-6_7-32-39.png
upload_2016-2-6_7-32-39.png

I have my Mobï 2 and 3 years, and very happy with them, until now.... one stopped working for no clear reason, and the other a week later....

Now I have tried all (I think) solutions, even the oven bake thingie, nothing.

SD card OK, battery OK, lenses OK at first but not sure by now. When the 1st Mobius retired, I changed the lens from the one that was still working, and and the dead one didn't come back on. The lens from the dead one installed in the good one, and worked great at first, so my conclusion was it could not be the lens....

Anyway, now they both retired, and no matter what I do, change lens, SD cards, reflash, etc, the only thing that happens is the green led coming on, (with and without battery or capacitor), and turns off when the battery is fully charged apparently.....

Now eletoponline kindly offers me to investigate the two, but that costs me 17 euro to ship registerred, I don't want to take a gamble in standard letter post, but actually I planned to wait for the new mobius to arrive (soon hopefully), or buy something else, like Joovuu X, Foxeer Legend or something other. I'm a bit lost in dashcam/actioncam land since there are so many choices, and I really need it for work.

Besides all that, do you think it's worth a try and send them back for 17 euro, without knowing what will happen after that, I mean without knowing the actual repair might cost? eletoponline did actually agree to investigate first, then contact me on repairing or not with consideration of the cost....

Last edited:
Back