Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

First post, been lurking since I first joined, and a novice to the dashcam realm. I have had my Mobius C2 w/ capacitor for a few weeks now. I am frustrated to the nth degree with night-time performance (and the adhesive windshield mount, but that is an offline matter). Could it be user parameter setting error or is it something with the hardware? The day time recording is very nice and sharp, no complaints there.

No matter the video player used on my Windows PC, the playback of all night recordings (MOV format) are inundated with blue vertical bars and have a very grainy appearance - nothing like the quality night videos I have watched here. Back country roads where there is no illumination except my headlights show the worse quality. Driving within city limits where there is illumination improves from streets lights and signage, the graininess and vertical blue bars reduce but are still present. I've searched the Mobius forum and found a few references to the blue bars and grainy appearance but could not gleam a fix from the content - if there is one. There seemed to be a liking to a much earlier version of the firmware (v0.59 I believe) for night time performance , but I am hesitant to go that far back. Sooo...

F/W v. 2.41
Bootloader v. 003

I am using the recommended settings for day time "dashcam mode" per the users manual in Mode 1. Mode 2, is my night mode, and I have tried the following:

Wide Dynamic Range was tried both "On" and "Low Light" on two different occasions.

The following parameters were used in both WDR test cases:
Field of View : "Wide"
Video Resolution : 1920x1080
Video Frame Rate: 30 fps

Nothing in the Advanced Image Settings tab has been changed from defaults, as I presume these apply strictly to Photo Mode, all sliders are "Normal", White Balance is "Auto".

Could it be my LCD monitor? Could it be the distance between the lens and windshield? I haven't measured the distance in my setup and won't be able to until I fix the windshield mount.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks !

View attachment 20727
View attachment 20727

v0.59 is definitely my favourite for night time recordings.... but, there may be bugs that were resolved later on in new f/w's....

If you send them back you may help others in that minor changes may be made to the current hardware design. It's important that the developer is aware of what component can fail so he can make the board as reliable as possible.
Don't forget that electronic components will also fail at some point. Bad component batches also can't be ruled out. This is most annoying for both the manufacturer and the end-user.
If your cameras are broken anyway, what do you risk if you send back the motherboards, without lens, battery and case, as a standard letter? That's the way I would do it, but there's obviously a small risk of the letter being lost in the post. If you go this route, try and protect the boards as best as possible, by enclosing the boards in thin cardboard, for example. Of course there will be a long wait...
I'm sure eletoponline will give you a better price than a new motherboard, so you'll most likely gain in the long run, even if you decide to send the cameras registered.

First post, been lurking since I first joined, and a novice to the dashcam realm. I have had my Mobius C2 w/ capacitor for a few weeks now. I am frustrated to the nth degree with night-time performance (and the adhesive windshield mount, but that is an offline matter). Could it be user parameter setting error or is it something with the hardware? The day time recording is very nice and sharp, no complaints there.

No matter the video player used on my Windows PC, the playback of all night recordings (MOV format) are inundated with blue vertical bars and have a very grainy appearance - nothing like the quality night videos I have watched here. Back country roads where there is no illumination except my headlights show the worse quality. Driving within city limits where there is illumination improves from streets lights and signage, the graininess and vertical blue bars reduce but are still present. I've searched the Mobius forum and found a few references to the blue bars and grainy appearance but could not gleam a fix from the content - if there is one. There seemed to be a liking to a much earlier version of the firmware (v0.59 I believe) for night time performance , but I am hesitant to go that far back. Sooo...

F/W v. 2.41
Bootloader v. 003

I am using the recommended settings for day time "dashcam mode" per the users manual in Mode 1. Mode 2, is my night mode, and I have tried the following:

Wide Dynamic Range was tried both "On" and "Low Light" on two different occasions.

The following parameters were used in both WDR test cases:
Field of View : "Wide"
Video Resolution : 1920x1080
Video Frame Rate: 30 fps

Nothing in the Advanced Image Settings tab has been changed from defaults, as I presume these apply strictly to Photo Mode, all sliders are "Normal", White Balance is "Auto".

Could it be my LCD monitor? Could it be the distance between the lens and windshield? I haven't measured the distance in my setup and won't be able to until I fix the windshield mount.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks !

View attachment 20727
View attachment 20727
Welcome to DCT and welcome to the Defective Mobiuses Owners Club: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...itial-contact-and-some-questions.16434/page-4. Now I don't feel so alone in my bad night video quality claim.
Either there was some problem with the last 2015 batch's hardware/lens-sensor module/whatever, or there's something going on.

If you send them back you may help others in that minor changes may be made to the current hardware design. It's important that the developer is aware of what component can fail so he can make the board as reliable as possible.
I hope Dan sent my unit back to them because it's not good for Mobius's reputation that more cameras are starting to appear with the same problem mine has.

I hope Dan sent my unit back to them because it's not good for Mobius's reputation that more cameras are starting to appear with the same problem mine has.

From time to time since its introduction, the Mobius, like any camera platform has had its share of problems and minor glitches that need to get straightened out. On the whole the Mobius has proved itself to be one of the most reliable and rugged cameras on the market having been built initially to survive the rigors of RC use. Since you only recently became a Mobius owner, perhaps your statement that "more cameras are starting to appear" may be reflective that your perspective may not be as lengthy as some of us who have been with the Mobius since it was first introduced.

Don't forget that electronic components will also fail at some point. Bad component batches also can't be ruled out. This is most annoying for both the manufacturer and the end-user.
If your cameras are broken anyway, what do you risk if you send back the motherboards, without lens, battery and case, as a standard letter? That's the way I would do it, but there's obviously a small risk of the letter being lost in the post. If you go this route, try and protect the boards as best as possible, by enclosing the boards in thin cardboard, for example. Of course there will be a long wait...
I'm sure eletoponline will give you a better price than a new motherboard, so you'll most likely gain in the long run, even if you decide to send the cameras registered.

Thanks, I think I will send them back, but I think I'll send the lenses back as well, since I'm no longer sure about them being OK....

Am I correct that the new C2 lens has a separate ribbon that can be swapped if it is broken? So that we don't have to swap the hole lens unit?

I might buy the C2 Mobius in the Banggood listing below for USD 69.99, seems a good price? Or...?

I believe Banggood sells the origional?

From time to time since its introduction, the Mobius, like any camera platform has had its share of problems and minor glitches that need to get straightened out. On the whole the Mobius has proved itself to be one of the most reliable and rugged cameras on the market having been built initially to survive the rigors of RC use. Since you only recently became a Mobius owner, perhaps your statement that "more cameras are starting to appear" may be reflective that your perspective may not be as lengthy as some of us who have been with the Mobius since it was first introduced.
Well, it "appears" me and @Praetorian bought "one of the most reliable and rugged cameras on the market" at the "wrong" time. Let's just hope it's only one of those glitches.
And btw, my statement had nothing to do with being a recent Mobius owner, because I'm yet to be one. I was just stating the present facts. One unit among thousands, with a problem that apparently no one has ever had, is acceptable. More than that and the alarms start ringing.

Well, it "appears" me and @Praetorian bought "one of the most reliable and rugged cameras on the market" at the "wrong" time. Let's just hope it's only one of those glitches.
And btw, my statement had nothing to do with being a recent Mobius owner, because I'm yet to be one. I was just stating the present facts. One unit among thousands, with a problem that apparently no one has ever had, is acceptable. More than that and the alarms start ringing.

they've sold a very large quantity of these cameras already, the amount of problems you hear of is really very small, well under 1% I'm sure, although the product is quite advanced in its capabilities it is still quite basic in its construction so there's not a lot that can go wrong really but the nature of electronics means there will always be some that get a bad one, it just happens

Two people reporting a rare problem with their Mobius cameras on DCT is hardly a trend that is "not good for Mobius's reputation". Even a larger number would hardly be something that should cause "alarms to start ringing". When you start seeing the sort of production issues reported with the mini-0806, then a developer has a problem on their hands that may impact their reputation. There is really no need to act like Chicken Little here, especially if as you say, you are not even a Mobius owner.

they also sell fakes, they do list stuff when they have no stock as well so you can play the waiting game with them

So, where are the originals sold FOR SURE?

just found out they charge 15-20 USD postage..... no bargain there....

Hmm, that won't do.

I've more or less lost faith in Banggood for a variety of reasons but they are an authorized Mobius vendor and they are highly unlikely to sell you a fake if you order a real one from them. One option would be to order a replacement PCB from them rather than invest in a whole new camera.

Mobius PCB.png

With Banggood it may take longer than they say it will to actually get shipped and delivered to you but it will be the real deal and the most recent version.

With Banggood it may take longer than they say it will to actually get shipped and delivered to you but it will be the real deal and the most recent version.

my experience with Banggood is pretty poor, I ordered a Mobius off them and one off the developers eBay store, eletoponline365, both ordered at exactly the same time

paid extra for 3 days express from Banggood and as a backup ordered the one from eletoponline365 by regular free shipping thinking if there was some delay at least I would have a backup coming

end result was the one from eletoponline365 arrived in 5 days, the one from Banggood took 6 weeks, Banggood showed it in stock at the time but this was not the case, no mention of it at any point and more than a month later when they did get stock they still sent it express and figured I would be happy with the expensive freight even though it actually took 6 weeks to turn up, any question about it just came back with stupid responses with 'please understand' but no excuses or apologies offered

in short I would never recommend Banggood for anything as their whole business model of knowingly selling product they don't have is outright deceptive at best

Hmm, that won't do.

I've more or less lost faith in Banggood for a variety of reasons but they are an authorized Mobius vendor and they are highly unlikely to sell you a fake if you order a real one from them. One option would be to order a replacement PCB from them rather than invest in a whole new camera.

View attachment 20751

Well, I'm shipping back both complete cam's (-/- batteries) since I'm not sure if the lensmodules are OK. Right now I'm temporary using my phone to record with Dailyroads or Videoreg (on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 or my Nexus 5), and it is not a good solution, believe me, jerky recordings, and the whole setup st@nks.... especially at night..... boooooh!!! :mad:

So, yeah, I need a complete cam asap, you know, for work.

my experience with Banggood is pretty poor, I ordered a Mobius off them and one off the developers eBay store, eletoponline365, both ordered at exactly the same time

paid extra for 3 days express from Banggood and as a backup ordered the one from eletoponline365 by regular free shipping thinking if there was some delay at least I would have a backup coming

end result was the one from eletoponline365 arrived in 5 days, the one from Banggood took 6 weeks, Banggood showed it in stock at the time but this was not the case, no mention of it at any point and more than a month later when they did get stock they still sent it express and figured I would be happy with the expensive freight even though it actually took 6 weeks to turn up, any question about it just came back with stupid responses with 'please understand' but no excuses or apologies offered

in short I would never recommend Banggood for anything as their whole business model of knowingly selling product they don't have is outright deceptive at best

Maybe best to stick with eletoponline then, just to be sure, right? Too bad they will be away for another week for Chinese Newyear..... :(

Last edited:
they've sold a very large quantity of these cameras already, the amount of problems you hear of is really very small, well under 1% I'm sure, although the product is quite advanced in its capabilities it is still quite basic in its construction so there's not a lot that can go wrong really but the nature of electronics means there will always be some that get a bad one, it just happens
I'm trying to be positive about this whole thing. I believe the more feedback the manufacture get about these "rare" problems, the better. The lens was on focus, so it's not a lens problem, it's also not a firmware problem because pretty much every Mobius owner is using the same version without any issues, so it's down to either a (very unlikely) defective board or the sensor. I put my money on the latter.

Two people reporting a rare problem with their Mobius cameras on DCT is hardly a trend that is "not good for Mobius's reputation".
Let's hope not. If these two cases were to be the only ones, then I guess me and Praetorian should be rewarded by the manufacturer with a free unit each for finding these rare malfunctioning units. :)

(...) you are not even a Mobius owner.
Yet! And who's fault is that? Not mine, that's for sure!

Back