Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

I had to order a new Mobius since the 2 I had died, but look at this recording, check the street / tarmac, it seems to live.....!

Do we all have that, or is there something wrong with my camera?

Can it be fixed in settings?

I had to order a new Mobius since the 2 I had died, but look at this recording, check the street / tarmac, it seems to live.....!

Do we all have that, or is there something wrong with my camera?

Can it be fixed in settings?
Another one. Ok, now no one can deny there's something very wrong with these recent units.

@dirkzelf, I feel your pain: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/my-mobius-thread-initial-contact-and-some-questions.16434/ (starting on page 4).
The way you seem surprised makes me think your old ones didn't have that issue.

Update to my issue again:

Still having the issue. My mobius cannot be trusted the the moment. At times it records all day, other times only a few moments. Then, I get a solid red and yellow light... no recording after that. I try turning the camera on and off a bunch of times, it does not start recording.
Just 10 minutes ago, I spent a solid 10 minutes debugging it. No luck. Tried different USB cords, other microSD cards (all which are known to record previously without issues). Nothing. Then, suddenly, it starts recording and is good to go again!

I have tried with 3 different cards. Each runs into the issue. The thing is, when it stops recording, all 3 cards do the same thing. When it starts deciding to record, all 3 cards work again... no formatting or anything needed.

Any ideas at all what this could be? Is it possibly a power issue with the mobius (some faulty internal component?). Has anyone else experienced this?

memory card and power supply/battery are the most common cause of problems, same goes for any camera really
Power supplies seem good. Tested with a USB volt reader. three different power supplies. When the issue occurs (solid yellow light) none of the power supplies makes a difference.

memory cards have been working fine for a year... that said, sure they might have an issue..but all 3? They also work fine in my point-and-shoot camera, and my computer. One of them, I tested as a constant mount, running applications on my computer. No hiccups.

My cards range from Class 4 to class 10, 16 gb, 32 gb, 64gb (exFAT....exFAT set in the menu).

I should also note, I have a backup Mobius. When the issue occurs, the exact same card works in the second camera. It fires up no problem with the exact same wires, and power supply.

The Mobius itself seems to be the issue, but I have no idea what to try.

It is a capacitor, would that be a possible issue? I have a spare capacitor (well, I can take it from my other cam). I also have the original battery still

put the battery back in and test would probably be the next thing to try

Update to my issue again:

Still having the issue. My mobius cannot be trusted the the moment. At times it records all day, other times only a few moments. Then, I get a solid red and yellow light... no recording after that. I try turning the camera on and off a bunch of times, it does not start recording.
Just 10 minutes ago, I spent a solid 10 minutes debugging it. No luck. Tried different USB cords, other microSD cards (all which are known to record previously without issues). Nothing. Then, suddenly, it starts recording and is good to go again!

I have tried with 3 different cards. Each runs into the issue. The thing is, when it stops recording, all 3 cards do the same thing. When it starts deciding to record, all 3 cards work again... no formatting or anything needed.

Any ideas at all what this could be? Is it possibly a power issue with the mobius (some faulty internal component?). Has anyone else experienced this?

My first Mobius camera developed a similar intermittent issue that was also very difficult to troubleshoot. Just when I thought the problem was gone it would rear its ugly head again. In the end the problem turned out to be a power supply issue caused by a hairline crack in the mini-B USB port on the back of the camera. In all likelihood, the problem was self-inflicted from inadvertently yanking too hard on the USB cable once too often while it was plugged into the camera. Since that time I've become much more cautious in my handling of dash cam/cable connections.

Edit: I should add that gently jiggling the plug help me track down this problem as that would often get the camera working again.

@jokiin is absolutely right that most dash cam problems of this nature turn out to be power related or memory related.

miniusbport.jpg

Last edited:
Another one. Ok, now no one can deny there's something very wrong with these recent units.

@dirkzelf, I feel your pain: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/my-mobius-thread-initial-contact-and-some-questions.16434/ (starting on page 4).
The way you seem surprised makes me think your old ones didn't have that issue.

I had a C2 lense ordered seperately some time ago, and sent it back because of this. I reinstalled the B lens and was quite happy with it. My 2 dead mobï will return with new PCB boards, so I will have an A, B, and C2 lens. All with Capacitors and exactly the same PCB. Let's wait and see what a side by side test will spill out....

I have reason to believe it has to do with the new C2 lens module, bringing in a lot more light then before, and our Mobius may have some difficulty with it. I don't think it is the PCB or other hardware, but a combination of firmware and new C2 lens module.......

Have you tried older firmwares? Like 0.47 or 0.59?

Maybe it's worth a shot or 2?

I had a C2 lense ordered seperately some time ago, and sent it back because of this. I reinstalled the B lens and was quite happy with it. My 2 dead mobï will return with new PCB boards, so I will have an A, B, and C2 lens. All with Capacitors and exactly the same PCB. Let's wait and see what a side by side test will spill out....

I have reason to believe it has to do with the new C2 lens module, bringing in a lot more light then before, and our Mobius may have some difficulty with it. I don't think it is the PCB or other hardware, but a combination of firmware and new C2 lens module.......

Have you tried older firmwares? Like 0.47 or 0.59?

Maybe it's worth a shot or 2?
No, I gave up on the Mobius, at least until I'm sure this issue no longer exists. I'm getting something else.

@petepete had a bunch of the earlier version ones he was going to be selling, maybe check if he has any still

I ve kept 7 and am not planning on selling them as they are such a useful camera be it at the cinema, car security, dashcam, home security etc....

My thoughts on the fault...

I would try removing the ribbon of the lens and re seating it as when I have swapped around lens I have come across this sort of brief problem and have had a lens that refuses to give an image other than whats been described ..

Edit: I should add that gently jiggling the plug help me track down this problem as that would often get the camera working again.

I did try jiggling it at both ends (lol). No difference.

I even tried playing with the card a bit (putting pressure here/vs there) no difference.

I am going to try jokiin's suggestion. Problem is the issue is so random, I might not know for weeks if it works.

Hello everyone!

I just bought the Mobius actioncam Lens C, firmware is now 2.41.
Today was the first test as a dash-cam and I noticed that the video is kinda grainy and the colors are strange most of the time. Now when I moved the cam on the windshield holder, the video quality improved.
It was running without power, just on internal battery.

I didn't touch the advanced image settings BTW.

Here is the video with the moment of quality change when I touched it:

https://sendvid.com/csu63yhx

Noticed the weird colors in the beginning?

Can anyone advice what is happening? Is the cam faulty?

PS. I think I got it. When I phisically squeeze the camera box it stops being grainy / oversaturated etc. Seems its faulty :(

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

PS. I think I got it. When I phisically squeeze the camera box it stops being grainy / oversaturated etc. Seems its faulty :(

Howdy!

That is weird squeezing it makes it go away. Could you try opening it, and reseating the lens? Unhook the lens and hook it back up. That is the only thing I can see would change by squeezing it.

My thoughts on the fault...

I would try removing the ribbon of the lens and re seating it as when I have swapped around lens I have come across this sort of brief problem and have had a lens that refuses to give an image other than whats been described ..
It's not that and couldn't be that because day time quality was (is) normal. I tried it in the first one and it didn't solve the problem, so in the 2nd one I didn't even bother opening it.

Last edited:
I did try jiggling it at both ends (lol). No difference.

I even tried playing with the card a bit (putting pressure here/vs there) no difference.

I am going to try jokiin's suggestion. Problem is the issue is so random, I might not know for weeks if it works.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting that the problem I experienced is the same problem you've got. I was trying to say that the issue is likely power related and may need careful troubleshooting. In my case, the cracked plug took quite a long time to discover. Jiggling the plug just rules out a possible plug contact issue. Do check that there is no lint or other substance in the plugs and consider applying a contact cleaner to all connections. Next, try jokiin's suggestion too. Then just keep trying things until you figure out what is wrong, but do so logically. Start with internal power ( battery- capacitor), then eliminate external power possibilities such as bad cables, charger or plugs, then lens module ribbon cable and SD card. If all else fails, it's probably a bad component on the PCB. That would be rare but it happens.

The randomness still suggests a power source issue.

Howdy!

That is weird squeezing it makes it go away. Could you try opening it, and reseating the lens? Unhook the lens and hook it back up. That is the only thing I can see would change by squeezing it.

Hey. Thanks for replying.

Yeah - I'd do that but then I do think I will loose my warranty. There's this QA seal on it, if I try to open it will surely break, and then the seller wont accept it.
If that one will fail I will try to open it and reseat it.

Back