Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

I mounted my mobius cameras all facing down (so a third of the field of view is dash as an example) to reduce facing directly into the sky etc that confuses the sensor. Also it reduces glare and any reflection and colour distortion. I did get green glares and all sorts if I recall correctly, but changed the camera angle during set up as I identified that being the issue right away. I also have a slight tint to my glass that would create this.

Setting are just standard WDR on 50mhz light frequency, immediate disconnect etc (supercap settings just like @russ331 posted before), 5 min MOV clips, 1080p res with high video rate, wide FOV and 30FPS etc etc.

As its FW 0.59, no advanced settings because you cant muck around with it and mess it up.

I have the same setup other than 3 min clips. FW 0.59 is the second best at night after 0.47 but had to settle for former as 0.47 won't work with the super capacitor.

I have the same setup other than 3 min clips. FW 0.59 is the second best at night after 0.47 but had to settle for former as 0.47 won't work with the super capacitor.

I use the battery so maybe 47 is the one for me, although I found 47 to be recording quite dark.... but that was with the A lens.

You use the C2 lens?

I use the battery so maybe 47 is the one for me, although I found 47 to be recording quite dark.... but that was with the A lens.

You use the C2 lens?

Yes got a C2 lens.

I mounted my mobius cameras all central and facing down (so a third of the field of view is dash as an example) to reduce facing directly into the sky etc that confuses the sensor. Also it reduces glare and any reflection and colour distortion. I did get green glares and all sorts if I recall correctly, but changed the camera angle during set up as I identified that being the issue right away. I also have a slight tint to my glass that would create this.

Setting are just standard WDR on 50mhz light frequency, immediate disconnect etc (supercap settings just like @russ331 posted before), 5 min MOV clips, 1080p res with high video rate, wide FOV and 30FPS etc etc.

As its FW 0.59, no advanced settings because you cant muck around with it and mess it up.

Ive really torn my first mobius apart and rebuilt it several times fiddling and inadvertently making half of the situations at some point people have had. Ive always found whatever the issue, its either lens out of focus or lens ribbon cable, battery or 89% of the time memory card. The chip and board itself is shocking reliable.

But to be fair and unbiased, please note I have not got the C2 lens. I was completely satisfied with the B lens performance.

I agree with with you about the B lens. I still have it, and use it in my private car, the discolouring is there too, but much less visible.....

the difference probably comes down to lens characteristics
And vehicle glass tint and angle of camera, plus personal preference...... :rolleyes:

You use the C2 lens?
Using older FW is at your own risk 0.59 had some direct fixes if I recall that were to correct reliability over 0.47 and so it continues all the way up to the latest revision.

Using older FW is at your own risk 0.59 had some direct fixes if I recall that were to correct reliability over 0.47 and so it continues all the way up to the latest revision.

Do you think I can damage the camera with older version firmware?

I'm planning to use the new mobius C2 with 0.59..... What's the risk you mentioned?

Your advice is to not go back beyond 0.59?

Come on dashmellow, you know by now it has nothing to do with my expectations, I saw a change for the worse in performance with a new lens, and it is just logical to be disappointed about that and to seek a solution.

I do think it has to do with your unrealistic expectations. You keep seeing what you call, "green monsters" which are nothing more than color temperature shifts, In order to enhance night time performance the more recent firmware pushes the AGC up pretty high, which is why you're seeing more sensor noise and color sensitivity. Worrying about having perfect color balance more than the capturing of important details is a poor bargain.

Last edited:

I'm planning to use the new mobius C2 with 0.59..... What's the risk you mentioned?
Im sure @Isoprop is better quaified to answer that and will have some stern words about using older firmware.

FW 0.59 was more stable if I recall correctly.......... it was a while ago.

I doubt you could damage it, not physically. Lock it up or 'brick it' is a possibility, but nothing permanent. Plus @Rob J says he has a C2 with FW 0.59 on and its working.

Last edited:

Your advice is to not go back beyond 0.59?

It is highly unlikely that you can damage your camera with older firmware. You may just not get the magic results you are hoping for.

Edit: V.59 had both good and bad qualities but might be worth a try. I find the most recent firmware offers the overall best results.

I do think it has to do with your unrealistic expectations. You keep seeing what you call, "green monsters" which are nothing more than color temperature shifts, In order to enhance night time performance the more recent firmware pushes the AGC up pretty high, which is why your see more sensor noise and color sensitivity. Worrying about having perfect color balance more than the capturing of important details is a poor bargain.

Well, we disagree about the expectations thingie then, since I too made it clear that it can't be perfect, it's just something that appeared with the new camera's that wasn't there before. I suggest we leave that as it is.

I believe we have ruled out car lighting (outside car filming) , as well as damaged sensor or lens (180 flip, I and the fact that it only appears in very low lighted areas). The only thing left as far as I can conclude would have to be the firmware doing something to the image, since the smear is always on the exact same spot in the screen when playing it, I.e. Right across across the date / time stamp.

In this case, I don't agree that it has anything to do with the color temp, because it stays put on the exact same spot, and and it doesn't move with the moving lights, like I mentioned many times before.

So, I'll be reporting back with what 0.59 did tonight or tomorrow.

But to be fair and unbiased, please note I have not got the C2 lens. I was completely satisfied with the B lens performance.
No one reported any issues with the A or B lenses, as far as I know...

The oldest firmware with a colour correction toggle for Lens C is v2.29

OK, so....? Don't go below 2.29?

If the color correction was made for C lens, would that be the same for C2? or was that changed in later FW when C2 came to town? Maybe we just need a specific color correction?

Last edited:
Back