Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

No one reported any issues with the A or B lenses, as far as I know...

Not quite so. Both the B lens and the C lens modules had various issues. In the case of the C lens it was serious enough to replace it with the C2. None of them had any sensor problems that caused any sort of unusual color "smears". Personally, I find the C2 lens to be excellent with both a good performing sensor and an outstanding optic.

Edit: The original A lens module was a masterpiece. I predict that one day people will pay "big" money for mint condition examples of the original A lens Mobius as a collectible the same way collectors pay big money for early Leicas and Nikons.

Last edited:
Update:

C2 lens with f/w 2.41, headlights off:

vlcsnap-2016-03-30-23h27m40s193.png

C2 lens with f/w 0.59, headlights off:

vlcsnap-2016-03-30-23h27m46s374.png

So..... nâh, woudn't do that anymore.....

C2 lens with f/w 2.41, headlights on:

vlcsnap-2016-03-31-11h56m07s692.png

C2 lens with f/w 0.59, headlights on:

vlcsnap-2016-03-31-11h54m52s109.png

I,ve also tried the Lumia camera of the 640 XL, (Zeiss lens), pretty good in low light, and it also shows the swimming fishies, and the greeninig in the dark spots around the headlights, only this greening is moving with the headlights, and isn't stationairy on the screen (like the Mobius) when played.

@ 23 sec, the motion sensitive streetlight tones down. The rest is just playing with exposure on the camera. In the last part headlights switched off.

Here's what happens when you turn up/down exposure in 640 XL as a dashcam.

I guess same sort of thing happens with Mobius trying to get best night recording.

Last edited:
Update:

C2 lens with f/w 2.41, headlights off:

View attachment 21963

C2 lens with f/w 0.59, headlights off:

View attachment 21964

So..... nâh, woudn't do that anymore.....

C2 lens with f/w 2.41, headlights on:

View attachment 21966

C2 lens with f/w 0.59, headlights on:

View attachment 21965

I,ve also tried the Lumia camera of the 640 XL, (Zeiss lens), pretty good in low light, and it also shows the swimming fishies, and the greeninig in the dark spots around the headlights, only this greening is moving with the headlights, and isn't stationairy on the screen (like the Mobius) when played.

@ 23 sec, the motion sensitive streetlight tones down. The rest is just playing with exposure on the camera. In the last part headlights switched off.

Here's what happens when you turn up/down exposure in 640 XL as a dashcam.

I guess same sort of thing happens with Mobius trying to get best night recording.

Those pictures do back up why I'm on FW 0.59.

Did you have WDR on as well in the settings?

Those pictures do back up why I'm on FW 0.59.

Did you have WDR on as well in the settings?

Yes sir.....

Believe me, I don't know about your recordings, but mine are pretty awfull with this setting....

Not quite so. Both the B lens and the C lens modules had various issues. In the case of the C lens it was serious enough to replace it with the C2. None of them had any sensor problems that caused any sort of unusual color "smears".
Were those issues the same that are being discussed here?

Edit: The original A lens module was a masterpiece. I predict that one day people will pay "big" money for mint condition examples of the original A lens Mobius as a collectible the same way collectors pay big money for early Leicas and Nikons.
There's a dashcammer called DashCamVancouver who has probably the best night and day video quality I've ever seen on YT (and we all know what YT does to the quality of the videos) and in a recent conversation with him on one of his videos I found out he's using a Mobius 'A'! It's a pitty they don't make them anymore.

Were those issues the same that are being discussed here?

No.

There's a dashcammer called DashCamVancouver who has probably the best night and day video quality I've ever seen on YT (and we all know what YT does to the quality of the videos) and in a recent conversation with him on one of his videos I found out he's using a Mobius 'A'! It's a pitty they don't make them anymore.

You can still purchase an "A" lens module but the base of the unit is now FRP rather than metal like the original. The newer module is larger and intended to fit the new case design and therefore will no longer fit the original cases. I believe the optic is the same as the original.

It is important that you understand the distinction between the optic and the module base and how each component separately contributes to what you seem to feel is an "issue".

No.

You can still purchase an "A" lens module but the base of the unit is now FRP rather than metal like the original. The newer module is larger and intended to fit the new case design and therefore will no longer fit the original cases. I believe the optic is the same as the original.

It is important that you understand the distinction between the optic and the module base and how each component separately contributes to what you seem to feel is an "issue".

Does the FRP Base make the unit as a whole, a lesser lens unit?

Yes sir.....

Believe me, I don't know about your recordings, but mine are pretty awfull with this setting....
Mine are all very satisfactory. I always have WDR on and its a great improvement at night for me. But Im on a B Lens. Best ask @Rob J as he's running a C2 with FW 0.59 and seems pretty happy.

I dont want to guide you or suggest you in any direction too far as I chose not to become a C lens owner because I felt the A and B lenses didnt need improving upon or changing. I cant help but think the manufacture changes were cost driven rather than for further reliability or performance.
Perhaps thats cynical and it may even have been weight lowering with the reduction in metal components for more plastic. I dont know the reasoning.

Thats why I found a seller who had the original B lens still in stock and bought 4 more this past month.

Last edited:
Mine are all very satisfactory. I always have WDR on and its a great improvement at night for me. But Im on a B Lens. Best ask @Rob J as he's running a C2 with FW 0.59 and seems pretty happy.

I dont want to guide you or suggest you in any direction too far as I chose not to become a C lens owner because I felt the A and B lenses didnt need improving upon or changing. I cant help but think the manufacture changes were cost driven rather than for further reliability or performance.
Perhaps thats cynical and it may even have been weight lowering with the reduction in metal components for more plastic. I dont know the reasoning.

Thats why I found a seller who had the original B lens still in stock and bought 4 more this past month.

I agree fully with you about the initial A and B lenses....

I've tried C2 with 2.25 (the last one without C colour correction) with the exposure turned down a bit (-8) tonight, and it's already better than 0.59, I'm not going to use that anymore anyway.

No more disturbing greening, only the streetlight greening which is logical. But I have blue vertical bars now in the dark spots, so I have flashed 2.41 back to the camera, and toned down the exposure, one camera to - 4, the other to - 8 to see which is better, and also I have set wide view instead of the narrow setting. Just to see how that works out....

I may even end up in reinstalling the A lens.... Then I would have A, B and C2 version..... Yihaaaaaa!!!

I've tried C2 with 2.25 (the last one without C colour correction) with the exposure turned down a bit (-8) tonight, and it's already better than 0.59, I'm not going to use that anymore anyway.

No more disturbing greening, only the streetlight greening which is logical. But I have blue vertical bars now in the dark spots, so I have flashed 2.41 back to the camera, and toned down the exposure, one camera to - 4, the other to - 8 to see which is better, and also I have set wide view instead of the narrow setting. Just to see how that works out....

I may even end up in reinstalling the A lens.... Then I would have A, B and C2 version..... Yihaaaaaa!!!
Sounds like you're getting there now.

All of us owners have to fiddle and fuss to get things how we want them. I know you may not end up with perfection, but as long as you can see details the best you can for your set-up and evidence for any incidents, then thats good news. There's so many options and variables in the set-up, so Im pleased your on the right track.

I did a lot of testing with lots of the various FW until I was happy with the night vision. I didn't fiddle with exposures and found that the later ones had the blue vertical bars on which to me were a lot worse than the green hue that you've been experiencing. 0.59 is perfect for me picture wise at night and is much better than the DP200 transcend cam I have and the dark areas are as they should be but obviously I am missing out on the "extras" that the later FWs offer.

I'm hoping that you will experiment until you get rid of the blue vertical bars on 2.41 and post your settings ;-)

Does the FRP Base make the unit as a whole, a lesser lens unit?

The Fiber Reinforced Plastic lens module base in theory should be more dimensionally temperature stable than the original metal one so, no, it is not lesser in any way and might even be better. There was initially a lot of confusion along with many complaints after the FRP modules replaced the metal ones on the first versions of the "C" lens where the plastic module was blamed for a focus problem. It turned out the issue was caused by a problem with the back plate the sensor is mounted on, not the module casting itself. There was also an issue with many people experiencing difficultly focusing the lens itself because the threads in the lens barrel were very tight but I find that to have been resolved in the "C2" along with those focus issues.

Anyway, all versions of the Mobius lenses should be fine now and all of them are of top quality compared with many other cameras. It is my understanding (which has proved itself true from personal experience) that the developer of the Mobius has gone to great lengths to source the highest quality lens optics available for this application.

Any differences you see in performance beyond the focal lengths (FOV) of each lens are due to the particular optical characteristics of each lens, such as sharpness, speed (aperture) resistance to lens flare, distortion, general color balance characteristics, etc.

The problems with perceived color shifts and AGC level signal to noise ratio concerns (swimming grain) are really a firmware thing but can be influenced to some degree by which lens happens to be installed in any given module.

Last edited:
I did a lot of testing with lots of the various FW until I was happy with the night vision. I didn't fiddle with exposures and found that the later ones had the blue vertical bars on which to me were a lot worse than the green hue that you've been experiencing. 0.59 is perfect for me picture wise at night and is much better than the DP200 transcend cam I have and the dark areas are as they should be but obviously I am missing out on the "extras" that the later FWs offer.

I'm hoping that you will experiment until you get rid of the blue vertical bars on 2.41 and post your settings ;-)

you use v0. 59, with what lens?

then I can't understand how you can describe your recordings as perfect for you, as I find it apoalin....? I mean you've seen my recording with that setting, doesn't that repel you?

tx for making me look silly, dude.... :rolleyes:
Sorry! I know your head must be hurting from everything you're trying. :p

Those videos you posted with the pictures. It wasnt clear to me exactly what each video was of?

The first video is the Mobius and second another camera?

The footage looked ok to me at night for the mobius. It constantly adjusts in the light to get as much detail as it can while trying to see in the dark. Thats what we are all getting in low single light conditions. You're not going to get much better than that for this $57 camera.

Last edited:
Sorry! I know your head must be hurting from everything you're trying. :p

Those videos you posted with the pictures. It wasnt clear to me exactly what each video was of?

The first video is the Mobius and second another camera?

The footage looked ok to me at night for the mobius. It constantly adjusts in the light to get as much detail as it can while trying to see in the dark. Thats what we are all getting in low single light conditions. You're not going to get much better than that for this $57 camera.

Yeah, it's a freaking blob man.... !!!

Anyway, I have posted multiple video's on yt, but in my last post with examples there are screenshots from Mobius, and some video from a phone camera (Lumia 640 XL), just to compare. Streetlight greening was there too, as are the swimmers, so that is a logical phenomenon. It was to rule out 3rd party causes for the permanent green smear on my Mobius C2 night recordings. It must be some f/w causing this, and therefore I am trying to tone down the exposure in V2.41 to see if the discoloring can be removed, or made less visible.

Actally I already did that some time ago, check this one and tell me what you think:

If you watch closely you can still see the greenspot, so maybe I need to test other f/w between 2.29 and 2.41.....

Back