Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

I believe the Mobius team are in a very lucky position compared to the competition. Tom Frank, from RC Groups, has made hundreds of test video clips from different cameras/lenses from an almost ideal location - his home. Compared to Tom, my share has been minute. I don't have such perfect conditions and my time is also limited. We usually make true comparisons, using two or more cameras recording the same scene from the same location. Not only does this allow a true comparison of different firmware versions but also allows a real-life comparison of how different lenses perform under different lighting conditions. Video clips without a comparison video are initially OK but are useless for fine tuning.

It's all too easy to bash other manufacturers, but fact is, despite all shortcomings, their products exist. The Mobius 2 (M2) has also been available for quite some time, but it's not yet on the market. There are still a very few teething problems that need to be fixed, maybe too much perfection, who knows?
If I were the manufacturer, I would most probably do the same. I would not release immature firmware or unstable hardware only to be the first on the market. Others may think differently. No product is perfect when it's first released, and the M2 won't be an exception. It's a question of how many bugs, inconveniences, hardware design flaws, etc. will be accepted by the majority. Personally, I hate buggy software/firmware when I pay for something I expect to work properly.

With regard to the competition, if parameters still can't be reliably set after a product has been on the market for 5 months then something is very seriously wrong - IMO (In My Opinion) ;)

The original A lens module was a masterpiece. I predict that one day people will pay "big" money for mint condition examples of the original A lens Mobius as a collectible the same way collectors pay big money for early Leicas and Nikons.

I know that I hunted out a couple of metal "A" lens Mobius once I heard of the FRP change. ;)

I believe the Mobius team are in a very lucky position compared to the competition. Tom Frank, from RC Groups, has made hundreds of test video clips from different cameras/lenses from an almost ideal location - his home. Compared to Tom, my share has been minute. I don't have such perfect conditions and my time is also limited. We usually make true comparisons, using two or more cameras recording the same scene from the same location. Not only does this allow a true comparison of different firmware versions but also allows a real-life comparison of how different lenses perform under different lighting conditions. Video clips without a comparison video are initially OK but are useless for fine tuning.

It's all too easy to bash other manufacturers, but fact is, despite all shortcomings, their products exist. The Mobius 2 (M2) has also been available for quite some time, but it's not yet on the market. There are still a very few teething problems that need to be fixed, maybe too much perfection, who knows?
If I were the manufacturer, I would most probably do the same. I would not release immature firmware or unstable hardware only to be the first on the market. Others may think differently. No product is perfect when it's first released, and the M2 won't be an exception. It's a question of how many bugs, inconveniences, hardware design flaws, etc. will be accepted by the majority. Personally, I hate buggy software/firmware when I pay for something I expect to work properly.

With regard to the competition, if parameters still can't be reliably set after a product has been on the market for 5 months then something is very seriously wrong - IMO (In My Opinion) ;)
Well said

Just to let you know guys, I have tested with my Mobius v3 and C2 lens to get rid of the big green smear in the recordings, and it appears to only occur (or mostly) in narrow view night recordings.

In wide view it is not there or nearly not there.

Any idea's on that?

Just to let you know guys, I have tested with my Mobius v3 and C2 lens to get rid of the big green smear in the recordings, and it appears to only occur (or mostly) in narrow view night recordings.

In wide view it is not there or nearly not there.

Any idea's on that?

the difference between pixel binning versus crop at a guess

the difference between pixel binning versus crop at a guess

It's weird, in narrow there's the green smear and bleu spot, and in wideview the green smear is (hardly) there, but then I have the blue vertical bars, toning the exp; down only really helps in wide view, in narrow view the green is always visible in the dark recordings. Frustrating...

:mad:

I've made some footage with 2 identical C2 cams, one in wide view, one in narrow view, both set exp value -/-8

vlcsnap-2016-04-07-09h32m32s231.png vlcsnap-2016-04-07-09h32m39s678.png vlcsnap-2016-04-07-09h41m00s764.png vlcsnap-2016-04-07-09h40m53s388.png vlcsnap-2016-04-07-09h50m35s684.png vlcsnap-2016-04-07-09h50m41s583.png vlcsnap-2016-04-07-09h55m04s091.png vlcsnap-2016-04-07-09h54m59s107.png

Gotta stay with wide view then..... Setting exp value some lower can hide the blue bars you get at zero setting.

I just bought a 2nd Mobius camera and it's appearing to have a couple of issues. It was bought off of eBay from what seems like a fairly reputable seller. I haven't left any feedback or contacted the seller yet but I was hoping to resolve the issue here first.

1) The card slot wouldn't eject my brand new 32GB Kingston microSD. It seemed permanently stuck in there. I know which side is up/down so it wasn't that as I already own another Mobius. I opened up the camera and managed to eject the card, and it was correctly inserted. I tried gently placing it back in but it seems very resistant which was similar to how it felt when I first placed it in (except the first time, I pushed it all the way in thinking it would catch).

2) When plugged into a PC with the USB cable, I'll I'm getting is a green light. I try switching modes but nothing is happening.

3) It isn't being read in the Mobius utility program whereas my first Mobius has no issue being identified in the utility.

Is this a faulty unit or a fake/imitation camera? The camera's internal appears to be all there from what I can tell.

3) It isn't being read in the Mobius utility program whereas my first Mobius has no issue being identified in the utility.

Is this a faulty unit or a fake/imitation camera? The camera's internal appears to be all there from what I can tell.

got a photo of the insides, the copies are not identical, if it's recognised by Windows but not by the GUI software that's a red light

got a photo of the insides, the copies are not identical, if it's recognised by Windows but not by the GUI software that's a red light

It's not being recognized by either Windows or the utility application. I will upload a photo of the inside shortly.

Also, it's not switching lights/colors between modes by pressing the 'M' button.

Here's an image of the camera's internal. That white glue doesn't look very good. Could it have shorted out the circuit board?

exDhn1k.jpg

Last edited:
did you put that white glue in there?

Nope. I have no technical knowledge of these kinds of electronics. I wouldn't even know how or why to pour glue into such a device.

That camera does not appear to be an authentic Mobius.

Edit: I see @jokiin beat me to it but the circuit board is not the same as a real Mobius which also has a plug-in battery rather than a soldered in one. Case and lens module are different too.

anyway, short answer is you bought a fake, time to talk to the seller, it should look like this inside https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ts-here-read-posts-1-8-first.4232/#post-49838

I think if you report it to PayPal as counterfeit goods they will just return your money, you should find they won't let you send it back either as sending fake goods through the mail is a federal offense

I'd love to inform the seller but I suppose it'll just be a heads up as I can't send it back (based on your counterfeit goods via mail)?

I'd love to inform the seller but I suppose it'll just be a heads up as I can't send it back (based on your counterfeit goods via mail)?

he may know already, not every seller is honest unfortunately, the Mobius cost price is not much lower than what you see it selling for, that's their business model but it means these resellers really can't make money off the genuine product, so what do they do ........

Back