Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Funny thing is, at home, on a Apple power supply it works everytime, the way i wanted it to. But the moment the cam is put into the car, it never really works the way it should.

That speaks volumes of the quality of the 12V adapters you are purchasing. Check the voltages and I bet you will see your problem in the car. Get a good quality adapter from a reputable source and I think your Mobius will function in the car as it does at home. That is unless you car has some underling voltage supply / charging system issue.

Funny thing is, at home, on a Apple power supply it works everytime, the way i wanted it to. But the moment the cam is put into the car, it never really works the way it should.

Let's be clear about this. With a freshly formatted card & Mobius connected to the Apple power supply, it loop-records until the card is full, & then file REC_0001.MOV & other old files are overwritten? No file corruption when the power supply is disconnected?

If so, there's probably nothing wrong with the camera, & the problem is with poor quality in-car power supply, possibly including the power cable. It doesn't surprise me that a hardwire kit from eBay is causing trouble, try plugging Mobius into the car's accessory socket via a good quality cable & USB adapter.

Last edited:
I'm currently thinking of upgrading two of my Mobius cameras to lens C2. One of them has currently lens A and the other one lens C...

So, do I need zero, one or two new cases, and should I purchase both C2 lens with the lens module or is it enough to purchase only the stand-alone lens replacements?

making mobius lenses fit...so somewhere down the line, I had a few lenses and mobius' replaced. I now have a mixture of different generation lens' and mobius'. Problem is, they are not interchangable. For example, both my mobius look almost identical, one is newer than the other. I have 2 widescreen lens, both look indentical. However, there is slight difference. One lens only fits my old cam, and one the new. Has anyone successfully modified their mobius to fit different generation lens? I ran into a problem earlier where I needed to swap a standard for wide lens, but it would not fit because it would only fit my other mobius. I only found out now, about a year after having it....rather annoying as I had no clue this would happen. I figured they were all the same sized lens housing.

making mobius lenses fit...so somewhere down the line, I had a few lenses and mobius' replaced. I now have a mixture of different generation lens' and mobius'. Problem is, they are not interchangable. For example, both my mobius look almost identical, one is newer than the other. I have 2 widescreen lens, both look indentical. However, there is slight difference. One lens only fits my old cam, and one the new. Has anyone successfully modified their mobius to fit different generation lens? I ran into a problem earlier where I needed to swap a standard for wide lens, but it would not fit because it would only fit my other mobius. I only found out now, about a year after having it....rather annoying as I had no clue this would happen. I figured they were all the same sized lens housing.

I'm not exactly clear which lens you wish to fit into which generation case but if you have a current generation lens that will not fit your old Mobius housing you can buy a current generation spare replacement case for only about 3 dollars US from a number of Mobius sellers.

I'm not exactly clear which lens you wish to fit into which generation case but if you have a current generation lens that will not fit your old Mobius housing you can buy a current generation spare replacement case for only about 3 dollars US from a number of Mobius sellers.
I can? perfect. I will have to buy both generations. Essentially I have a mixture of both gen lenses and mobius'. I have one replaced and they replaced it with the newest gen...leaving me with a confusing mess lol.

I can? perfect. I will have to buy both generations. Essentially I have a mixture of both gen lenses and mobius'. I have one replaced and they replaced it with the newest gen...leaving me with a confusing mess lol.

I have a mix of both generation lenses and cases too. They are not really too compatible with one another but I guess mods are possible. I consider my older generation-1 Mobius cams and lenses to be irreplaceable gems so I don't mess with them.

So, I'm not exactly sure if you can still buy the older generation Mobius cases anywhere but it would be worth checking around. The newer ones are easy to find at places such as Banggood or eBay. I don't recommend BG anymore after some bad experiences but for parts like this they should be OK. For a buck extra you can order from the US warehouse.

mobicase.jpg

An excellent reliable source for Mobius spare parts is BuyMobius.com but you will pay more at $6.99. Buying from a reliable seller outside of China may be well worth the extra expense. He may have a few older gen cases kicking around so as previously mentioned, it would be worth asking.

http://www.buymobius.com/products/mobius-camera-shell-larger-led-opening

Last edited:
has anyone successfully recovered corrupted mobius files? Had some footage I reviewed today and they will not play due to corruption.

Tried another card which is working fine, was about a month since my last format...so for whatever reason something went wrong. I might do weekly formats from now on.

has anyone successfully recovered corrupted mobius files? Had some footage I reviewed today and they will not play due to corruption.

Tried another card which is working fine, was about a month since my last format...so for whatever reason something went wrong. I might do weekly formats from now on.

I doubt you can recover truly corrupted files but you might try a different media player such as VLC or (on the Mac) MPlayerX.

Another trick that "might" be worth a try is converting the file to a different codec using Handbrake.

some can be recovered using Registrator Viewer, you need a valid file for comparison and the broken file and it will attempt to rebuild the broken file, has a reasonably good success rate

I doubt you can recover truly corrupted files but you might try a different media player such as VLC or (on the Mac) MPlayerX.

Another trick that "might" be worth a try is converting the file to a different codec using Handbrake.

I tried using VLC, it crashed it in the oddest way.

Tried a file check program, including windows one. Seemed whatever I tried didnt work...it was bad enough windows wouldn't even copy the file over.

I ended up just formatting the card and moving on .

Mobius2 (M2) released
I'll let someone else start a new thread here, but the long-awaited Mobius2 (M2) is now available for sale on eBay from the original Mobius team.
Tom Frank has started a new thread on RCGroups which will soon contain a lot more information. Please DO NOT post on his thread so long the title asks you not to post. Posts on Tom's thread should also be RC aerial video related or of M2 technical nature. For dashcam users the thread is basically for information only.
Post #6 has a link which will take you to a web page allowing you to download the manual and the latest ENGLISH Windows GUI which will allow you to configure the M2. The GUI will only show the M2 settings when an M2 is connected. The GUI will default to the current Mobius (M1) settings.

I have used the M2 for a couple of long drives of well over 1500 KM without any problems. My car was even scanned for drugs/weapons/migrants, but unfortunately the M2 turned off when I turned off the ignition so I couldn't capture the extremely loud scan.
I used a Sandisk 128GB card and had the M2 mounted as a dashcam. I cannot recommend Sandisk since dashcam use is not covered by Sandisk warranty. At the time I didn't have any other brand of 128GB cards at hand. All my testing was done using the highest video quality setting with 1080p@60fps with H.265 compression. The M2 requires a fast SD card, preferably class 10 or higher. Samsung is a good choice.

You cannot expect all the features of the M1 with this initial firmware release. New features will be gradually added as the firmware matures. Different lenses are also expected.

Mobius2 (M2) released
I'll let someone else start a new thread here, but the long-awaited Mobius2 (M2) is now available for sale on eBay from the original Mobius team.
Tom Frank has started a new thread on RCGroups which will soon contain a lot more information. Please DO NOT post on his thread so long the title asks you not to post. Posts on Tom's thread should also be RC aerial video related or of M2 technical nature. For dashcam users the thread is basically for information only.
Post #6 has a link which will take you to a web page allowing you to download the manual and the latest ENGLISH Windows GUI which will allow you to configure the M2. The GUI will only show the M2 settings when an M2 is connected. The GUI will default to the current Mobius (M1) settings.

I have used the M2 for a couple of long drives of well over 1500 KM without any problems. My car was even scanned for drugs/weapons/migrants, but unfortunately the M2 turned off when I turned off the ignition so I couldn't capture the extremely loud scan.
I used a Sandisk 128GB card and had the M2 mounted as a dashcam. I cannot recommend Sandisk since dashcam use is not covered by Sandisk warranty. At the time I didn't have any other brand of 128GB cards at hand. All my testing was done using the highest video quality setting with 1080p@60fps with H.265 compression. The M2 requires a fast SD card, preferably class 10 or higher. Samsung is a good choice.

You cannot expect all the features of the M1 with this initial firmware release. New features will be gradually added as the firmware matures. Different lenses are also expected.
I like the look of it, more black-box ish. I don't see a heatsink like the M1?

EDIT: My bad...the mount is the heatsink as well... don't really like that solution.

My Mobius doesn't seem to consistently record. There are times when it records and other times when it doesn't record. Can anyone help me?

I have 2 Mobius dashcam that I use; one for the front and one for the rear.

*Both are loaded with 128GB Micro SD card from Silicon Power
*One is wired with 3 feet 28AWG cable and one is wired with 15 feet 28AWG cable
*I am running the Mobius GUI version 3.0.6.2
*Artificial light frequency is set at 60 Hz
*USB data port charging is enabled
*Card is formated to exFAT
*Power on delay is set as fast
*Power-off standby is set to off
*Power-on auto record is set to external
*Power-off disconnect is set to immediate
*Motion detection is set to on
*Motion sensitivity is set to to normal
*Motion timeout is set to 15 seconds
*TV Video Out is set to NTSC
*Video file type is set to MOV
*Loop recording is set to on
*Video data rate is set to standard
*Video clip length is set to 10 minutes
*When I turn on my car, both dashcams' LEDS are blinking on and off slow
*When I turn off my car, both dashcam' LEDS stays on (not blinking) for about 2-3 seonds before turning off

Yes, the settings above are both set for both dashcams.

When I go to check recorded files on the 128GB Micro SD card, I only see the first few recordings, and after 5 recordings, it doesn't record more videos.

Any help is appreciated.

My Mobius doesn't seem to consistently record ... Motion detection is set to on ... Loop recording is set to on ... Video clip length is set to 10 minutes
Set motion detection to off. Set clip length to 5 minutes (from the Manual ... "only clip lengths of 5 minutes and less are allowed when loop recording is enabled"). It's preferable that the card formatting be done within mSetup.

Last edited:
Update: The dashcams did not record after I applied the new settings. I decided to format my Micro SD card again through the Mobius GUI, and it is now recording. I will update again when my dashcams stop recording.

If it helps, I forgot to mention that both of my dashcams have supercapacitors installed.

Last edited:
Set motion detection to off. Set clip length to 5 minutes (from the Manual ... "only clip lengths of 5 minutes and less are allowed when loop recording is enabled"). It's preferable that the card formatting be done within mSetup.
"only clip lengths of 5 minutes and less are allowed when loop recording is enabled".

I am astonished to read that! Apparently, I must have missed that sentence in my numerous readings of the Mobius Manual....or perhaps I just forgot.

The result is that I have been recording both 10 minute and 15 minute looped clips on the Mobius with no issues for as long as I can recall!

No motion detection of course, never touch it, but I do use mSetup on Windows 7 to configure.

The full quote from the Mobius Manual is:
  1. "►Some parameter settings are not allowed in combination with other parameter settings. For example, only clip lengths of 5 minutes and less are allowed when loop recording is enabled. The Windows configuration setup program mSetup.exe guarantees the settings are valid"
The last time I happened to use a Mobius to record 10 minute looped clips was yesterday.

10minclip.jpg

Perhaps @Isoprop might offer a comment here?

Last edited:
As a sort of proof of concept and extra demonstration test I just ran one of my Mobius cams (V1 pcb with FW v2.41) for one hour shooting 15 minute clips with loop recording.

15min_mobius.jpg

have a feeling that was the case in some earlier firmware versions, perhaps the manual wasn't updated as that was improved, or perhaps it was left like that to account for people that still run older firmware versions

Back