Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

anyone know if you can replace just the ribbon cable of the mobius lens? I broke my ribbon cable. It is the cable that goes into the lens itself.
Write Tom at BuyMobius.com and ask. He may be able to help get one or repair it. Usually the lens module needs to be replaced, which cost $30. Or contact your seller and explain the problem.

How did it happen?

Write Tom at BuyMobius.com and ask. He may be able to help get one or repair it. Usually the lens module needs to be replaced, which cost $30. Or contact your seller and explain the problem.

How did it happen?

I was re-installing my mobius. It had a terribly unfocused picture for some reason (i never had to adjust it before and never did). As I took it work, I was too careless and ripped the cable which was held by electrical tape.

Ill message Tom, thanks

I was re-installing my mobius. It had a terribly unfocused picture for some reason (i never had to adjust it before and never did). As I took it work, I was too careless and ripped the cable which was held by electrical tape.

Ill message Tom, thanks
That cable is very fragile. I suggested Tom because he is part of the development team and really helpful. He is also the closest to you so you can get a quick solution. You can also email the seller and be honest about your situation. The Mobius sellers have had a great customer service record and have been know to just swap cameras. Who did you buy it from?

That cable is very fragile. I suggested Tom because he is part of the development team and really helpful. He is also the closest to you so you can get a quick solution. You can also email the seller and be honest about your situation. The Mobius sellers have had a great customer service record and have been know to just swap cameras. Who did you buy it from?
I know the cable is fragile. Made a dumb mistake, aw well. The first Time I intalled it, I put a tape barrier around the ribbon cable. The second time I installed it, I did not do this and that was a fatal mistake.

I bought it from eletoponline365. It is about $28 for a new lens. I do not expect a replacement as I fully broke the ribbon cable of my own stupidity.

I will see what Tom says, if I can just replace the ribbon cable I will be a happy camper.

I know the cable is fragile. Made a dumb mistake, aw well. The first Time I intalled it, I put a tape barrier around the ribbon cable. The second time I installed it, I did not do this and that was a fatal mistake.

I bought it from eletoponline365. It is about $28 for a new lens. I do not expect a replacement as I fully broke the ribbon cable of my own stupidity.

I will see what Tom says, if I can just replace the ribbon cable I will be a happy camper.
Write eletoponline as well, he deals with developer direct and many say he is the developer.

Maybe now would be a good time to explore a remote lens solution while you have it all apart and may have to buy the lens module.

:)

@Isoprop

1st: THUMBS UP for your work on the FW!!

2.18 is IT for me.....

Now, of course we always want more.... so, will the ADVANCED IMAGE SETTINGS be subject to MODE 1 and MODE 2 in later firmwares?

I noticed something:
Why the sound recording with "WDR ON" is nice and load, but with "WDR LL" the sound is lower (on the same 1080p 30fps)?
It's also happening with Wide (nice and load) but with Narrow (720p 60fps) the sound is lower.
?!

:)

@Isoprop

1st: THUMBS UP for your work on the FW!!

2.18 is IT for me.....

Now, of course we always want more.... so, will the ADVANCED IMAGE SETTINGS be subject to MODE 1 and MODE 2 in later firmwares?
Thanks, but I only help test the firmware and keep the GUI and docs up-to-date. Thanks go to the developer who DOES listen to what the dashcam folks want! Although not present in these forums, Tom Frank also does an amazing job in testing the nitty-gritty parts, especially the video quality.
I'm not aware of different sound levels depending on WDR on or off. I'll have to test that when I have a spare moment.
Also, I very, very much doubt if the advance settings will ever be mode-independent. I can imagine it would involve an enormous amount of work and re-design and bug-testing. There's a lot more to it than you would imagine. For my part, keeping track of the modified custom values and how the 'fixed' values are evaluated using USB communication was pretty complex. Just writing the GUI routines based around the custom values deprived me of many nights sleep, and I'm not the firmware developer!

Reactions: Mtz
Noted....

Lets hope better night performance in the next firmware......

Can anyone help me?

I recently changed the battery in my Mobius camera. Everything worked fine, except that the clock had been reset.

As I hadn't updated the firmware for a while I decided to do this while I had the camera connected to my Windows PC for the clock setting. So I installed the latest version (3.0.3.0) of the config program and used it to update the firmware to 2.18. Everything appeared to work OK except that I could not see the SYSCFG.TXT file in Windows explorer.

Now the camera appears to work correctly in terms of flashing leds etc, but no recording files are visible in Windows explorer -- only the folders on the SD card are visible in Windows.

Any ideas what to try next? Do I need to downgrade the firmware manually?

Thanks in advance for any help

Can anyone help me?

I recently changed the battery in my Mobius camera. Everything worked fine, except that the clock had been reset.

As I hadn't updated the firmware for a while I decided to do this while I had the camera connected to my Windows PC for the clock setting. So I installed the latest version (3.0.3.0) of the config program and used it to update the firmware to 2.18. Everything appeared to work OK except that I could not see the SYSCFG.TXT file in Windows explorer.

Now the camera appears to work correctly in terms of flashing leds etc, but no recording files are visible in Windows explorer -- only the folders on the SD card are visible in Windows.

Any ideas what to try next? Do I need to downgrade the firmware manually?

Thanks in advance for any help
mSetup does not use any configuration file. The parameters, including the date and time, are read and set using direct USB communication. A SYSCFG.TXT file is only needed if you want to update or read the parameters manually. If you have a Windows PC you'll normally never need the configuration file. If it's on the card it will be ignored by the GUI.
If your camera is recognized by mSetup then most likely the firmware was installed correctly. You can always try and install it a second or third time if you are in doubt.
When you record, does the yellow (mode 1) LED blink slowly? If it blinks fast, i.e. about once per second or less, then there's a problem with the card.
Run mSetup and, in the Tools dialog, format the card and try again.
I cannot recommend downgrading the firmware. v2.18 is the best version released to date and contains many bug fixes. It also uses the latest codes from the chip manufacturer for accessing the card. But of course you are free to use any version you want :)

Thanks, but I only help test the firmware and keep the GUI and docs up-to-date. Thanks go to the developer who DOES listen to what the dashcam folks want! Although not present in these forums, Tom Frank also does an amazing job in testing the nitty-gritty parts, especially the video quality.

Also, I very, very much doubt if the advance settings will ever be mode-independent. I can imagine it would involve an enormous amount of work and re-design and bug-testing. There's a lot more to it than you would imagine. For my part, keeping track of the modified custom values and how the 'fixed' values are evaluated using USB communication was pretty complex. Just writing the GUI routines based around the custom values deprived me of many nights sleep, and I'm not the firmware developer!

Still, you ARE doing a lot of work, so thank you for that still!

To advanced settings, they are already independent now, I meant them to be subject to mode 1 or 2, but I suppose you got that, just made a type-o?

And yes that would really be a major redesign, and will probably never happen, it's just that in standard setting the night recording seems a tad over exposed, but it's great when compared to 2.1 0r 1.2 ...... trimming down exposure will not only affect night recording but dayrecording as well.... that's why I brought it up.

I was wondering, is there an SJ4000 (+/- wifi) forum? Couldn't find it on dashcamforum.

right.... :oops:

Not much info from users though....
I'm enjoying mine and using it as my rear cam. I think there are too many here because it looks like the Gopro and people are worried about putting it in the car.

I'm enjoying mine and using it as my rear cam. I think there are too many here because it looks like the Gopro and people are worried about putting it in the car.

I get that, I wouldn't want to invite "the rascals" to break in mine too, but I would use it in the lorry, and take it out every day, although that may not be such a good idea.

The mobius has a way better form factor for that, but the SJ4000 sems to have better night performance, or am I wrong?

I get that, I wouldn't want to invite "the rascals" to break in mine too, but I would use it in the lorry, and take it out every day, although that may not be such a good idea.

The mobius has a way better form factor for that, but the SJ4000 sems to have better night performance, or am I wrong?
I have yet to compare v2.18 and am running v0.59 for the clearly superior night performance. I would say the Mobius has superior night performance to the SJ4000. With v2.10, the SJ was similar if not a little better. The SJ's night performance is decent, not super running V20140729. I have a SJcam wifi on its way and plan to post more comparison and some tests I have done.

Do you own one?

I have yet to compare v2.18 and am running v0.59 for the clearly superior night performance. I would say the Mobius has superior night performance to the SJ4000. With v2.10, the SJ was similar if not a little better. The SJ's night performance is decent, not super running V20140729. I have a SJcam wifi on its way and plan to post more comparison and some tests I have done.

Do you own one?

Not yet, but it's tempting.... to be honest I need it for work, I drive another lorry each day, so it needs to be as portable and small as possible, and Mobius is best for that, and I have a magnet mounting setup (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-mounting-solutions.2654/page-18#post-86634), quick and easy to in- and uninstall.

The SJ4000 form factor would be a stopper for me, but it has a display and that is very handy if you want to quickly change the setup for the night recordings.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Not yet, but it's tempting.... to be honest I need it for work, I drive another lorry each day, so it needs to be as portable and small as possible, and Mobius is best for that, and I have a magnet mounting setup (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-mounting-solutions.2654/page-18#post-86634), quick and easy to in- and uninstall.

The SJ4000 form factor would be a stopper for me, but it has a display and that is very handy if you want to quickly change the setup for the night recordings.....
The Mobius is a great little cam.

The SJ WIFI feature is nice, the performance is good and I'm happy with it. I posted a review with a picture next to the Mobius. the SJ is more discreet than a lot of dash cams so it fits in a good amount of places; the box shape helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back