Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Try another player, I have had VLC player give me errors. I just use The standard Windows Media Player

had to reset my Mobius just now, is this normal?? had it only a few days, bench testing it and it locked up, satt here with just a green light on solid, computer wouldn't recognize it either. not sure if it was because the card was full or what is going on but I deleted a few files off of the card and set it going again.
I have a Samsung evo 64GB card in it, the file system for the card is set to FAT32, loop recording ON, anyone know whats going on?? have I missed something??
I have tested many thousands of hours using loop recording with 64GB cards formatted to FAT32. ZERO problems with FW v2.18. I do not have a Samsung 64GB to test but have tested Kingston, Sandisk, PQI and PNY cards.
Are you sure your card is genuine? Format your card and then use c't Magazin's h2testw.exe program to test the entire card. This will take a good while.

I have tested many thousands of hours using loop recording with 64GB cards formatted to FAT32. ZERO problems with FW v2.18. I do not have a Samsung 64GB to test but have tested Kingston, Sandisk, PQI and PNY cards.
Are you sure your card is genuine? Format your card and then use c't Magazin's h2testw.exe program to test the entire card. This will take a good while.
Tested 32GB card and that worked for over 24 hours non stop.
I woke up in the middle of the night last night and all of a sudden it came to me that 64GB cards come factory formatted with exFat, then I remembered reading on here that to format it to FAT32 else may have issues.
got up this morning, sure enough, the card was exFat, this may be the issues I am having. I have formatted it to FAT32 and will update in 24 hours if its still working good.
the card is genuine, got it from jokiins recommended supplier.
thanks.

In my previous post I said I had ZERO problems. That is true, but one Sandisk couldn't take the strain and failed after a few hundred hours. Since I've now had 4 Sandisk cards fail I don't think this is coincidence and suspect Sandisk use low quality or badly designed controllers in their cards. No other cards have failed so far. The Sandisks may not fail when used 'normally', but they sure don't like being used 24/7.

Now that @wozzzzza 's problem is resolved, back to mine :D

I was testing FW2.18 for few days and today I tried to edit some files in AVS Video Editor which I successfully used until now to edit Mobius MOV files, as well as other formats. However, this time I got an unpleasant surprise:
View attachment 8773

At first I blamed Registrator Viewer which I updated recently (the files were fragments generated with RV), but then I tried with the original MOV files and got the same error message.
Just for testing I switched to AVI (non-standard format and cannot be edited without re-packaging or re-encoding), generated 2 clips and imported them into AVS. There were no errors, but AVS can't handle them correctly, there are problems with playing the imported clips and the produced file didn't have all transition/effects that I applied.

So... back to FW1.13 for me.

@Isoprop do you know if anybody else reported similar problems? Do you know what happend to the video format in the 3rd step FW besides encoding the date and time taken? Thanks.

Now that @wozzzzza 's problem is resolved, back to mine :D

@Isoprop do you know if anybody else reported similar problems? Do you know what happend to the video format in the 3rd step FW besides encoding the date and time taken? Thanks.
I have not heard of anybody else who has problems editing files created with FW v2.18. I do know that v2.18 uses the latest codes from the chip manufacturer which are different than the codes used in previous FW versions, so that could be the reason your AVS product doesn't like the updated format. Other editors apparently work fine.

Since I've now had 4 Sandisk cards fail I don't think this is coincidence and suspect Sandisk use low quality or badly designed controllers in their cards. No other cards have failed so far.
Weird really when you think about it. For years SanDisk and SD were synonymous.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night and all of a sudden it came to me that 64GB cards come factory formatted with exFat, then I remembered reading on here that to format it to FAT32 else may have issues.
got up this morning, sure enough, the card was exFat, this may be the issues I am having. I have formatted it to FAT32 and will update in 24 hours if its still working good.
thanks.
thanks.

You cannot format 64gb into fat32 cuz doesnt support it, gotta be exfat

which format are you using, MOV, MP4 or AVI?

have you tried any of the alternate formats?

tried another memory card?
I didn't even know I can use a format other than .mov. The manual says nothing about it. Where do I change it? Besides, why should I change it? And I'm already using a second Class 4 card. Still the same. Plays back only the first video after formatting. The rest are corrupted. And yes, I'm of course checking it with multiple players and Gspot, not just VLC.

You cannot format 64gb into fat32 cuz doesnt support it, gotta be exfat
The format has nothing to do with the card. It's Microsoft who imposed an upper limit of 32GB for FAT32. However, there's nothing stopping you format 64 and 128GB cards with FAT32. In fact, this is the ONLY format that will work correctly with 64GB cards.. With FW v2.18 you can set the file format you want to use. In-camera formatting will then use this format. If you use mSetup the program will show if the card is formatted with exFAT. The Tooltip will also tell you that only cards greater than 32GB will be affected by the File system (format) parameter.

I didn't even know I can use a format other than .mov. The manual says nothing about it. Where do I change it? Besides, why should I change it? And I'm already using a second Class 4 card. Still the same. Plays back only the first video after formatting. The rest are corrupted. And yes, I'm of course checking it with multiple players and Gspot, not just VLC.
You should check your card with h2testw.exe. Your card could be fake. Format your card before running h2testw.
It's impossible to include all the small details in the manual since the parameters vary depending on what firmware is installed. You should study the parameters shown by mSetup and always consult the tooltips in mSetup if you are uncertain. The parameters and the tooltips will vary depending on the firmware installed.

Sounds like a fake SD card to me

well after I formatted to fat32 my 64gb samsung evo card, 24 hours later the camera is still recording and looping perfectly without lockups. all is fixed, just my mistake for forgetting that 64gb cards are exfat from the factory and need to be changed over.

However, there's nothing stopping you format 64 and 128GB cards with FAT32.

Actually it's Windows that stops most people, it won't format anything larger than 32GB FAT32, this is what catches most people out, anything larger needs to be formatted with a 3rd party app

I'm using 64Gig Kingston class 10 in both my Mobius cameras. Both on latest firmware, both formatted to fat 32 in the cam and both still working OK.
Have to say, though, that I've only changed to the latest firmware in the last couple of weeks but the card in the cam I use at work has done well over 1000 hours - I dropped the bitrate so the card now takes just over a day's footage, so it's looped well over 100 times & only formatted it about 3 times iirc (which includes the recent in cam format to fat32)

as a dash cam, who has the motion detection setting turned on? if so is it on high?? if not why not??

as a dash cam, who has the motion detection setting turned on? if so is it on high?? if not why not??

Motion detection is not a good idea for use in most dash cams. Any random movement from clouds passing by to birds flying through the FOV to wind blowing the leaves in nearby trees can false trigger the camera. Motion detection can also end missing important parts of key events. I would never consider using it. Motion detection is really only useful in a controlled static indoor environment like a warehouse or unoccupied office. I often use my Mobius cams in parking mode with an external power supply but I run it in full time video mode for as many hours as I need.

Last edited:
My experience with my A lens is as Dashmellow said, a lot of false triggers on High and Medium. Low worked best for me in a daytime parking lot and would only start recording when something or someone got close to the car. The second thing I learned is the need for 30 second or higher timeout or sometimes things would be missed.

The problem I found is not being able to easily turn Motion Detect on without an OTG cable and app when you park and easily turn it off for driving. Depending on the setting, the Mobius would stop recording at long traffic lights and heavy traffic.

So, how come those people who used sd card formatter got it to work with exfat?

Back