Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Seeing if anyone has insight.

Numerous people are having auto-on issues. I solved most of my issues with using a new card. However, I am still having this issue:

The mobius is plugged in to my cigarette lighter which gets power on start. Getting enough juice (4 amp max). Using Capacitor version.
The Mobius sometimes does not auto-start when I turn on my car. When I unplug and plug back in the power it starts.

I don't know if it is related, but sometimes when recording I get the normal yellow flashing light. Other times, I get the yellow light followed by a weak green light. I am not too sure what this means. The capacitor is suppose to charge pretty quick, so It can't be this, can it? Today, it was like this for thirty minutes - my whole drive home.

The light sequence was changed in the firmware, but I don't see much comments on it in the manual and the firmware notes. I noticed both my old and new mobius when turning on flash green and yellow then the green goes away after a few flashes. In the above scenario, the green continues to flash.

I don't have enough data to say for certain, but it seems if the Mobius fails to start right away, and I unplug it and plug it back in that is when I get the continuous green and yellow flash. If I start my car and the Mobius starts first try, it is a constant yellow flash.

Any ideas? I am getting really tired of my Mobius failing to start. I missed an accident because of it (I was not involved in it, but a witness). I have gotten into the habit now of checking if my Mobius is fired up before driving away, but it is awkward when with people and if I am on the go or if something happens I need it to fire up - I cannot trust it. I need to be able to trust it, but I cannot understand what is happening.

Seeing if anyone has insight.

Numerous people are having auto-on issues. I solved most of my issues with using a new card. However, I am still having this issue:

The mobius is plugged in to my cigarette lighter which gets power on start. Getting enough juice (4 amp max). Using Capacitor version.
The Mobius sometimes does not auto-start when I turn on my car. When I unplug and plug back in the power it starts.

I don't know if it is related, but sometimes when recording I get the normal yellow flashing light. Other times, I get the yellow light followed by a weak green light. I am not too sure what this means. The capacitor is suppose to charge pretty quick, so It can't be this, can it? Today, it was like this for thirty minutes - my whole drive home.

The light sequence was changed in the firmware, but I don't see much comments on it in the manual and the firmware notes. I noticed both my old and new mobius when turning on flash green and yellow then the green goes away after a few flashes. In the above scenario, the green continues to flash.

I don't have enough data to say for certain, but it seems if the Mobius fails to start right away, and I unplug it and plug it back in that is when I get the continuous green and yellow flash. If I start my car and the Mobius starts first try, it is a constant yellow flash.

Any ideas? I am getting really tired of my Mobius failing to start. I missed an accident because of it (I was not involved in it, but a witness). I have gotten into the habit now of checking if my Mobius is fired up before driving away, but it is awkward when with people and if I am on the go or if something happens I need it to fire up - I cannot trust it. I need to be able to trust it, but I cannot understand what is happening.
The green LED is hardwired to the charger IC so it's impossible to control it by firmware. The green LED is uniquely controlled by the charger IC. Start problems are usually due to not enough current or not enough voltage or instable/not constant voltage.
Have you tested the power up sequence using a conventional USB charger? If the charger test works then there's something wrong with your car's 12V supply or your car's 5V converter. You should also ensure the data wires (pin #2 and pin #3) are not connected to your charger/converter.

The green LED is hardwired to the charger IC so it's impossible to control it by firmware. The green LED is uniquely controlled by the charger IC. Start problems are usually due to not enough current or not enough voltage or instable/not constant voltage.
Have you tested the power up sequence using a conventional USB charger? If the charger test works then there's something wrong with your car's 12V supply or your car's 5V converter. You should also ensure the data wires (pin #2 and pin #3) are not connected to your charger/converter.

Are you sure about the green light? In this video here, you see only a yellow light shows when he turns it on: (EDIT: the forum auto video linker is annoying and wont go to the time I am setting. It also wont let me include a clickable link, it wont even let me post the link without auto converting it to a video... go to 5 min 25 seconds:
) however since I updated my mobius, mine turns on yellow and green.

The new Mobius I have has inconsistent behavior. Sometimes it is a flashing yellow light, sometimes it is flashing yellow with green. The green light itself changes. Sometimes its strong. Sometimes its weak. Sometimes it looks like a double green. The green light might be strong then 10 minutes later is weak.

I have a USB volt/amp meter. My car is pushing out 5V.

I am not sure what you mean by the data pins. I am using the cable provided by Electroponline365.

This weird green light thing, I do not (from my test and noticings) get this with my old Mobius. The light flashes green and yellow at the start, but just yellow after a few flashes.

ive got a consistent failure with my Mobius v2.25 I can repeat time after time, I have been testing it for 2 weeks now. consistently I can make it NOT auto start once it has been sitting for a day and a half.
anything shorter than a day and a half it autostarts normally with out fail. I have also noticed when it does auto start the blue light gives a short flash and not long after it starts recording, but leave it a day and half plug it in and no blue light on power connection, just green, for about 10 seconds, then no lights, does nothing.
I can repeat this time after time with mine. obviously some problem here.

date and time are fine, isoprop eliminates capacitor as issue.
I should add once I power cycle the Mobius after it fails to start after 1.5 days it then starts fine. records fine and date time correct.

ive got a consistent failure with my Mobius v2.25 I can repeat time after time, I have been testing it for 2 weeks now. consistently I can make it NOT auto start once it has been sitting for a day and a half.
anything shorter than a day and a half it autostarts normally with out fail. I have also noticed when it does auto start the blue light gives a short flash and not long after it starts recording, but leave it a day and half plug it in and no blue light on power connection, just green, for about 10 seconds, then no lights, does nothing.
I can repeat this time after time with mine. obviously some problem here.

I remember seeing your post awhile back. I had a similar issue. The thing just would not work and then next day worked fine. A new card fixed that issue.

As far as the blue light then recording. Today when testing I had the green light stay on and then nothing. Once I unplugged it and plugged it in again it did record.

I remember seeing your post awhile back. I had a similar issue. The thing just would not work and then next day worked fine. A new card fixed that issue.
I had the 2 hour issue before, leave it for 2 hours and it wouldn't record unless power cycled, the card seemed to be the issue there, but not this time, does it with 3 different cards I have tried consistently every time I have tried over the last couple of weeks, 1.5 days and it stops working.

I had but it was a different day, so I didn't upload it.

I am probably sticking with 2.25 because of the parking mode.

yeah footage from different days isn't comparison footage, need side by side identical footage for any meaningful comparisons

Are you sure about the green light? In this video here, you see only a yellow light shows when he turns it on:
I am not sure what you mean by the data pins. I am using the cable provided by Electroponline365.
This weird green light thing, I do not (from my test and noticings) get this with my old Mobius. The light flashes green and yellow at the start, but just yellow after a few flashes.
The charger IC controls the green LED. If you have a good magnifying glass and a multimeter you can follow the tracks from the green LED yourself. Please don't ask how to do it, there are many HW revisions and currently I don't have the time to meddle with my Mobius' innards ;)
As with any other component, an off-spec charger IC can't be ruled out.
The cable is a standard USB cable which uses all 4 wires but the charger should only use the +5V and ground. The two data wires should not be used. i.e. the charger should leave them disconnected. If they are used by the charger you'll possibly get inconsistent or strange results. There have been numerous posts where Apple chargers don't work, for example. I also had a smartphone charger which had the data lines connected and it didn't work properly.

FIXED, my starting issue, I actually bought another Mobius, a V3 that arrived early this week, didn't want to say anything until I tested it, this has been tested faultlessly, I have sat it for 2 days in a row now twice and it has started automatically by itself, the other Mobius after 1.5 days would ALWAYS fail to start.
looks like a hardware issue. everything else is the same, same capacitor, same sd card, same power supply, same usb cable.
Should I return for a refund??

The charger IC controls the green LED. If you have a good magnifying glass and a multimeter you can follow the tracks from the green LED yourself. Please don't ask how to do it, there are many HW revisions and currently I don't have the time to meddle with my Mobius' innards ;)
As with any other component, an off-spec charger IC can't be ruled out.
The cable is a standard USB cable which uses all 4 wires but the charger should only use the +5V and ground. The two data wires should not be used. i.e. the charger should leave them disconnected. If they are used by the charger you'll possibly get inconsistent or strange results. There have been numerous posts where Apple chargers don't work, for example. I also had a smartphone charger which had the data lines connected and it didn't work properly.

I do see in the power adapters I have all the contacts are there. I suppose I could remove the contacts from one of them (I have 2 different ones) and see if that helps.

I do see in the power adapters I have all the contacts are there. I suppose I could remove the contacts from one of them (I have 2 different ones) and see if that helps.
If you have an old standard USB cable it may be easier to slice part of it open (maybe cut along the wire about an inch) and then just cut the two data wires. Normally the power is red and the ground is black, so these are the wires you want to keep. However, there's no guarantee and I've even seen the red wire used as a data wire! Your multimeter is your friend here.
For testing, you could also carefully cover the two center contacts on the large plug with electrical tape, but it's a bit fiddly.

FIXED, my starting issue, I actually bought another Mobius, a V3 that arrived early this week, didn't want to say anything until I tested it, this has been tested faultlessly, I have sat it for 2 days in a row now twice and it has started automatically by itself, the other Mobius after 1.5 days would ALWAYS fail to start.
looks like a hardware issue. everything else is the same, same capacitor, same sd card, same power supply, same usb cable.

So the past couple days I noticed the same issue

Every morning my newest Mobius fails to start every time. If I unplug it and plug it back in, it works. If I drive somewheres, stop (it shuts off, normal) and start the car - it starts with no issues. only when it has been sitting off for a day or so, it fails to start.

just tested to 2.5 days, still working perfectly, starts fast and records.
now lets see if anyone can find the issue as to why some start fine and some don't? keeping in mind I used the same settings, same capacitor, same everything, just the board is different.

Not knowing anything....

Check the firmware version on the new and old cams. Maybe the old one needs a different firmware version?

Not knowing anything....

Check the firmware version on the new and old cams. Maybe the old one needs a different firmware version?
if you referring to my post, same firmware, v2.25 on both. everything identical except the board.

Back