Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Did some more testing and 2.25 does perform better at night.

Not so great on bad conditions like many other cameras, however the best camera for the price.

Hi all,
I don't want to make a new thread so I'm just going to ask here.

Was just wondering if there is any big difference between the 520Mah and 820Mah models(V3)?
I'm only looking to record while driving so I won't be relying on battery power.
Are there any known performance drawbacks/issues in the long term, other than obviously longer battery life?

I am new to the forum so I'm hoping I posted in the correct thread.

Hi all,
I don't want to make a new thread so I'm just going to ask here.
just have a search instead then
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-read-posts-1-8-first.4232/page-41#post-98794

Was just wondering if there is any big difference between the 520Mah and 820Mah models(V3)?
I'm only looking to record while driving so I won't be relying on battery power.
Are there any known performance drawbacks/issues in the long term, other than obviously longer battery life?

I am new to the forum so I'm hoping I posted in the correct thread.

read the link above and several posts more below it. says it all I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the first page of this long thread, the Mobius was broken down to it's core components. Now although I know this thread/forum is for users such as FPV, etc., however I felt there are quite a few people out there like myself, who wanted to explore options of reconfiguring the Mobius - in particular the lens arrangement. Well, that is what this thread is about and I hope it does not get pulled, because I think it could help others and also help them with their own creativity in using this awesome camera to capture whatever it is they are filming. If this belongs in another thread, then I hope it can be place in a thread with just as much traffic and eye balls on it.

I was able to swap out to the wide angle lens and reconfigure the lens arrangement, so it now faces forward like the GoPro, just in a slightly smaller and footprint.

Here is a video to show you what the footage looks like in 1080p @ 30fps from a few laps around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Scott Sharp's ESM Tequila Patrón Honda Performance Development ARX-03b (HPD) LMP2 race car. The footage was capture via mounting the Mobius to the top of Scott's helmet visor, where you usually see a sponsor logo of some sort. Unfortunately, due to rules, we could not run it during the race, so this footage is from the first session on the track. Race would have been awesome because they won the race and had some great battles. Plus, I have an upgraded batter and a 32GB card in there that should of last the duration of the race. Oh well, next time.

Anyways, here is a picture of the setup on Scott's helmet visor (sorry for the crap quality) and also a link to one of the videos. We measured the distance from the center of the lens to the center of Scott's eyes and it is about 0.6" above his POV, so it is pretty darn close to the actual thing. You can also tell it's a close fit by looking in the mirrors and seeing what Scott and the other drivers in the ESM Tequila Patrón Honda Performance Development team see.

Mobius_Visor_Mount.jpg

BTW - the onboard camera is a GoPro 3 Silver, filming in 720 @ 60. It also has the plastic protective case over it, so that does impede in the clarity a bit.

All in all, the Mobius is a great little camera for the price and turns out some pretty decent quality video.

If you want to check out another cool video, check out this one from Robby Gordon's Stadium Super Truck Series during their inaugural race at the GP of St. Petersburg this last season. What a show they put on! I had just changed the Mobius's setup, found Robby, asked if he would let me stick it on a driver's helmet for a race and he happily let me put it on teenage phenom racer Sheldon Creed's helmet for a race. That was some exciting stuff! Here's a sample video from the same Mobius setup.

Just one of the many options out there and hopefully it will inspire others out there. I wish I could get in touch with the manufacturer, because I am in contact with quite a few top level U.S. and International motorsport teams who love the simplicity, cost, light weight and awesome video quality with the Mobius. I would appreciate the chance to speak with the Mobius creators about perhaps expanding on this product and making a very similar version with slight physical modifications for motorsports in the U.S. and abroad.

Thanks all,

Jason

I would appreciate the chance to speak with the Mobius creators about perhaps expanding on this product and making a very similar version with slight physical modifications for motorsports in the U.S. and abroad./QUOTE]

They monitor this thread, so they're aware of what you've written above.

Hello ! I come back here with my problem of the Mobius ! It had an inconstant behaviour of the cam , times was working , other times not , without any modifications made in the meanwhile . So I updated the firmware to the latest and reformatted the SD card . But now , I have an even bigger problem :when I press the Power button the blue LED lights for 1 sec. and then nothing happens , and the camera also can't be connected to my PC as a removable disk as it is not recognized (I would like to insist that not the cables , either the USB-port are the cause of this as I've tried few cables to different PCs and the problem still persists ). However I can "start" the camera by holding down the Power and Shutter buttons for some seconds.Then , the yellow LED blinks for a few seconds as if it was recording(although is not) , then blinks faster (few times per second) followed by one or more red binks (I can't count because it is overlaied by the rapid blinking yellow) and it shuts down , all happening within 20 seconds . I discovered that the SD-card is completely empty . As I have another normally functioning Mobius , I tried to switch the cards but without any result . I am basically stuck , because i can't connect my camera to the PC and most instructions of problem-solving begin with a connection like this. I have also tried to change the "SYSCFG.TXT" file , but after pressing the buttons like in the instructions , the camera is again not working , so I can't possibly find the file I need . I have to specify that a few weeks ago , when I update the firmware - 2.18 , I just powered on and off the camera until it worked properly (as I said , it had sequences of functionality and non-functionality ) and only so I could get the "removable-disk" connection . Now as I can't obtain any working second of the camera , I kindly ask for your help and ideas that could help me get my Mobius fixed !

Hello ! I come back here with my problem of the Mobius ! It had an inconstant behaviour of the cam , times was working , other times not , without any modifications made in the meanwhile . So I updated the firmware to the latest and reformatted the SD card . But now , I have an even bigger problem :when I press the Power button the blue LED lights for 1 sec. and then nothing happens , and the camera also can't be connected to my PC as a removable disk as it is not recognized (I would like to insist that not the cables , either the USB-port are the cause of this as I've tried few cables to different PCs and the problem still persists ). However I can "start" the camera by holding down the Power and Shutter buttons for some seconds.Then , the yellow LED blinks for a few seconds as if it was recording(although is not) , then blinks faster (few times per second) followed by one or more red binks (I can't count because it is overlaied by the rapid blinking yellow) and it shuts down , all happening within 20 seconds . I discovered that the SD-card is completely empty . As I have another normally functioning Mobius , I tried to switch the cards but without any result . I am basically stuck , because i can't connect my camera to the PC and most instructions of problem-solving begin with a connection like this. I have also tried to change the "SYSCFG.TXT" file , but after pressing the buttons like in the instructions , the camera is again not working , so I can't possibly find the file I need . I have to specify that a few weeks ago , when I update the firmware - 2.18 , I just powered on and off the camera until it worked properly (as I said , it had sequences of functionality and non-functionality ) and only so I could get the "removable-disk" connection . Now as I can't obtain any working second of the camera , I kindly ask for your help and ideas that could help me get my Mobius fixed !
The problem with starting the camera sounds as if you have the "Power On Delay" parameter set to "Delay".
The fast blinks are a sure indication there's something wrong with your card's communication. If the same card works in your other Mobius then there may be a problem with the card holder, bent contacts, for example.
You may be able to check for this by keeping the card pressed in as far as it will go and holding it there while you turn on the camera. You may also want to try sticking a piece of electrical tape to the top of the card (opposite side to the contacts) which will force the card down towards the contacts.
Try updating the firmware again by formatting a card in your other Mobius and copying the firmware file to the empty card and then transferring the card to the 'bad' Mobius. This method will ensure your parameters are set to their default values.

Thanks a lot for the indications ! I have first tried to stick a piece of tape that forced the card to make a solid contact : No result ! Then I took its card ( the empty one ) , formatted , just to be sure , introduce it into my laptops slot . I have followed the steps , put the firmware file into the root directory of the card , pressed the power button until the blue LED blinked , I released and then waited for the firmware to install. Just as I was expecting a SOLID yellow , I received a yellow blinking LED first once a second ( aprox ) , then rapid blinking followed by the shut-down of the camera. I haven't tried anything with my other "good" Mobius , being afraid of not doing something wrong . Are these steps that I made helpful in further troubleshooting ? Can you give me more clues for my problem ? I still suspect the card problem , and so , I want to try everything possible home , before sending it hundred km away to eletoponline365 .

Thanks a lot for the indications ! I have first tried to stick a piece of tape that forced the card to make a solid contact : No result ! Then I took its card ( the empty one ) , formatted , just to be sure , introduce it into my laptops slot . I have followed the steps , put the firmware file into the root directory of the card , pressed the power button until the blue LED blinked , I released and then waited for the firmware to install. Just as I was expecting a SOLID yellow , I received a yellow blinking LED first once a second ( aprox ) , then rapid blinking followed by the shut-down of the camera. I haven't tried anything with my other "good" Mobius , being afraid of not doing something wrong . Are these steps that I made helpful in further troubleshooting ? Can you give me more clues for my problem ? I still suspect the card problem , and so , I want to try everything possible home , before sending it hundred km away to eletoponline365 .
Was the firmware file still on the card after the update? If the firmware update went correctly, the firmware file should have been deleted. I assume you waited about a minute for the firmware update before pressing any buttons.
The rapid blinking really does indicate a problem with your card or card communication. Don't you have a second card to try? Have you checked your freshly formatted (empty) card using h2testw? It could be a fake.

No , the FMW... was still ( I have checked via card reader what it remains after the failure of FW installation and the FW... (2,2 MB ) were on the SD Card ) . But , more important , I have discovered that SD must be formatted with : full overwrite and size adjustment on , must not it ????

No , the FMW... was still ( I have checked via card reader what it remains after the failure of FW installation and the FW... (2,2 MB ) were on the SD Card ) . But , more important , I have discovered that SD must be formatted with : full overwrite and size adjustment on , must not it ????
It is, obviously, best to format with full overwrite and size adjustment on but it will take a long time and isn't normally necessary.
If the firmware file was not deleted after the update then the firmware update didn't complete correctly and may be corrupt. That would explain the strange behavior!
Have you tried formatting the card in your 'good' Mobius using the in-camera formatting routine?
What is the size of your card? 64GB and above must be formatted with FAT32 if you want to update the firmware. There are lots of open questions, but I'm sure the card is your problem, unless you have a hardware issue.
I also hope you're updating to v2.25 which is the most reliable firmware to date.

I have not formatted the SD card in my good Mobius because of fear that I could bust it somehow too ! Now I am afraid ! My SD is a Kingston 32 Gb 4 class from a good source (local store ) . Anyhow I will try after ending formatting my SD ( still in process ! ) and maybe installing in my good Mobius if it will fail again . I will be keeping you in touch ! Thank you for your time spent with us and your altruism !

I have not formatted the SD card in my good Mobius because of fear that I could bust it somehow too ! Now I am afraid ! My SD is a Kingston 32 Gb 4 class from a good source (local store ) . Anyhow I will try after ending formatting my SD ( still in process ! ) and maybe installing in my good Mobius if it will fail again . I will be keeping you in touch ! Thank you for your time spent with us and your altruism !
When the formatting is finished, copy FWTLCAM.BIN to the empty card and put it in your 'bad' Mobius.
Now turn the Mobius on and watch the LEDs and wait about a minute. If the Mobius is on, then turn it off. Now remove the card and put it into your card reader. If the card is empty (firmware file deleted) then the firmware update was successful and your camera should work correctly once you put the card back in. If you still get the fast flashing, then use h2testw to test your empty card. This will take a long time.... If h2testw doesn't show any errors (you'll most likely get one warning) then your card is definitely not a fake. However, it may still not work correctly in your Mobius. In that case you'll have to find another card to test in your camera. The older the card the better, even if it doesn't have a class rating.

After finishing the "long-lasting" formatting , the camera doesn't delete the firmware file and as I press the Power button , it makes the update all over again . I have also tried with another card , 8 GB Kingston class 4 , FW-2.25 and the same problem occurs , the FWTLcam.bin is not deleted . On this last memory card , that I have also used for Mobius in the past , there were 2 folders named : "Android" and "LOST.DIR" that cannot find on the 32 GB one . Can this mean something ??

Update from the last post #1040
I have formatted the 32 GB card into the "good" Mobius , put the FWTLCAM.bin in it's root and back in the bad Mobius . Same behavior !!! Do I have to open the case ?

After finishing the "long-lasting" formatting , the camera doesn't delete the firmware file and as I press the Power button , it makes the update all over again . I have also tried with another card , 8 GB Kingston class 4 , FW-2.25 and the same problem occurs , the FWTLcam.bin is not deleted . On this last memory card , that I have also used for Mobius in the past , there were 2 folders named : "Android" and "LOST.DIR" that cannot find on the 32 GB one . Can this mean something ??
The firmware file must be named FWTLCAM.BIN (all capital letters) not FWTLcam.bin. You can delete Android and LOST.DIR. You don't need any file structure to update the firmware. It's best if the card is freshly formatted and empty (no folders) except for the FWTLCAM.BIN file. This isn't strictly necessary, but it avoids copying the firmware file to an incorrect folder.
If you still can't update the firmware, even when using a second card (8GB CL4 is perfect), then there's most likely a problem inside the card reader cage or one of the cage's 'legs' has a bad solder contact.
There is also a remote possibility that the edge of the silver foil lining the underside (button side) of the case is short-circuiting something. If you feel confident you could remove the case and check this (with battery removed) but you may void your warranty if you do this. Always be very careful handling the lens module and especially the ribbon cable. The silver foil itself is non-conductive, but the sides that have been cut are not. Like I said, this is a very, very remote possibility and maybe not even worth checking. I have never heard of anybody actually having this problem, but the developer has confirmed it could, theoretically, occur.
BTW, when you initialize the firmware update routine you only need to very briefly press the power button.

Yes, it was named correctly . I am giving up and I will return my Mobius to eletoponline . It is in warranty period... Anyhow , even if I will observe something wrong with my newbie eye , it will be no practical solution.. Thank you again I will inform you about the damage when I will find out , for helping others ... Happy New Year to all forum members !

Hey folks,

My wife bought me a mobius for Christmas to use as a pov cam for shooting. The camera appears to work just fine and I can view video off the card.

My issue is msetup shows the camera in the window but when selected, it says "device not supported" under the window. This leaves me unable to use the gui at all, but the camera seems to work just fine with the random test recordings around the house.

FIXED: Asrock xfast usb was the issue as I read in another post with a different issue. I can now play with the gui!

Last edited:
Back