Mobius V2 vs Joovuu X

AndrewL

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been going through the Mobius V2 and it seems the Joovuu X is a better choice. Better video quality, looks better built, uses capacitors.

Am I wrong? I get the Mobius is primarily designed for RC use and secondarily as a dash camera.

I've been going through the Mobius V2 and it seems the Joovuu X is a better choice. Better video quality, looks better built, uses capacitors.

Am I wrong? I get the Mobius is primarily designed for RC use and secondarily as a dash camera.

I always try and stay neutral and obviously I always support my camera over anyone elses.

Both cameras have swings and roundabouts - we actively develop ours and have our own forums - you have direct communication with me (owner of JooVuu and JooVuu X) and we develop our own accessories (launching our lens extension this week and we'll be offering existing customers a nice discount to say thank you for supporting us. When we launched our CPL filter we send one to every customer for free as well to say thank you).

We also have a dedicated iOS app, Android App, soon to be windows phone app, PC program, and soon to be Mac Program.

A lot of people will say we're probably worse as there are a lot of Mobius fans on here and that's fine, our camera got off to a rocky start - not going to lie about that, but it's come on a huge amount now and is very stable. We're releasing an update as well soon that will focus just on IQ to bring further improvements. I'll drop you a PM with more information :)

How can you know what quality video the M2 produces yet? We need to wait until the production version of the new Mobius 2 gets into the hands of users before anyone can make a valid determination of how good or bad the video may be. The camera was only released for sale a few days ago. How can you say how well built it is at this point? The firmware is also at a very early stage in light of how Mobius traditionally has gone about their updating process considering their ongoing dedication to firmware development, as well. They haven't even added some of the anticipated features to the firmware yet.

You seem to have developed some remarkable pre-conceived notions about this camera vicariously and prematurely with few facts. Why not wait for those facts? Speaking of facts, FYI, the Mobius is designed to use the readily available super-capacitor module, as has been the case for quite some time. The same super-cap works in the new camera too.

The JooVuu-X has lots of bells and whistles and the Mobius has traditionally focused more on the basics. Aside from the form factor, I'm not even convinced yet that they are truly worth comparing, but we need to let the Mobius get into a range of user's hands under real world conditions before jumping to any conclusions or making assumptions.

Both the JooVuu-X and the Mobius will have their merits and demerits and their primary markets may be different but both will be worth consideration and comparison at a point when their stage in development is more equivalent.

Last edited:

That's a presumptuous statement.
The two not in the same price range. Not even close.

That's a presumptuous statement.
The two not in the same price range. Not even close.

Actually, as a result of this thread, I discovered that the price of the X is now far lower that when it was first introduced. So, the JooVuu-X is now 35% more than the Mobius 2, whereas it was previously more than twice as much.

i think we will wait a short time to see M2 with capacitor just like M1. Not for long.
video quality of M2: we cant say it now.
M1 is famous because it's reliable, very discreed (demanding some of DIY works), good quality and cheap. It's a rate cheap dashcam can hardwire and run 24/7/365 with no problem. ;) And alot of ppl use it as CCTV too. It's a cam, they can advice ppl buy from china seller in many forums (I never heard, read about mobius warranty)

i think we will wait a short time to see M2 with capacitor just like M1. Not for long.
video quality of M2: we cant say it now.
M1 is famous because it's reliable, very discreed (demanding some of DIY works), good quality and cheap. It's a rate cheap dashcam can hardwire and run 24/7/365 with no problem. ;) And alot of ppl use it as CCTV too. It's a cam, they can advice ppl buy from china seller in many forums (I never heard, read about mobius warranty)

The same super-capacitor from the Mobius 1 works in the Mobius 2, so no waiting is necessary. :)

How can you know what quality video The M2 produces yet? We need to wait until the production version of the new Mobius 2 gets into the hands of users before anyone can make a valid determination of how good or bad the video may be.
You're right, I was basing the video quality because I thought it said 1080P at 30, but it's actually 1080P@60FPS which means higher resolutions could be unlocked. My mistake. I haven't seen any 1080P cameras that outperform the newer 1296/1440P except in very low light situations. The M2 could be comparable to the JooVuuX, I'm excited for the videos.

What I haven't liked about the original Mobius is the harder buying process (until recently) and complicated software. Not a problem for people on DashCamTalk but I can't take such a narrow view as I have a broader audience.

The launch hasn't been too exciting and if all they're focusing on is the video quality I can't say it's a big improvement against the JooVuu. I'm trying to drum up some information. I don't have a line into their development and it's been quite secretive until recently.

I'll do a better job of phrasing in the future.

Last edited:
Maybe a x cam owner have ordered a M2 camera too, and will put the 2 head to head.
If only we knew what sensor is in the M2, then we could guess at what to expect, but i don't think the M2 pack a "larger" sensor like the x camera do.
I am kinda hoping the M2 carry a IMX291, that would be sweet i think.

What I haven't liked about the original Mobius is the harder buying process (until recently) and complicated software.

Unlike virtually every other camera on the market, the Mobius is an enthusiast's camera, and an enormously successful one at that. Many who make the sort of complaint that you are registering here are comparing it to and expecting it to be like a mass market consumer product but that is just not what it is. It doesn't even come in a box, and there has been literally NO promotion or advertising. It's all been just word of mouth! That is telling us something.

The extraordinarily capable, comprehensive and configurable GUI is one of the very reasons people love the camera so much. It is part and parcel with the fun and enjoyment, as well as the performance. Some non-enthusiast users like the form factor and other benefits of the camera and use the Mobius as a dash cam but they do so willingly and with good reason. Many end up becoming enthusiasts to one degree or another once they become comfortable with how it works.

Anyone looking for the average plain vanilla, commercially packaged dash cam should look elsewhere.

Unlike virtually every other camera on the market, the Mobius is an enthusiast's camera, and an enormously successful one at that. Many who make the sort of complaint that you are registering here are comparing it to and expecting it to be like a mass market consumer product but that is just not what it is. It doesn't even come in a box, and there has been literally NO promotion or advertising. It's all been just word of mouth! That is telling us something.

The extraordinarily capable, comprehensive and configurable GUI is one of the very reasons people love the camera so much. It is part and parcel with the fun and enjoyment, as well as the performance. Some non-enthusiast users like the form factor and other benefits of the camera and use the Mobius as a dash cam but they do so willingly and with good reason. Many end up becoming enthusiasts to one degree or another once they become comfortable with how it works.

Anyone looking for the average plain vanilla, commercially packaged dash cam should look elsewhere.
+1

Unlike virtually every other camera on the market, the Mobius is an enthusiast's camera, and an enormously successful one at that.

I completely agree, it has the best video quality I've seen out of all the Novatek NT96650 + Aptina AR0330. For enthusiasts it's exactly what they want. Vanilla solutions are rarely perfect.

The excitement does spill over and some use the Mobius as a general recommendation. Since this is a dash camera forum but not solely dedicated for enthusiasts I'm interested in discussing it from both sides.

I completely agree, it has the best video quality I've seen out of all the Novatek NT96650 + Aptina AR0330. For enthusiasts it's exactly what they want. Vanilla solutions are rarely perfect.

The excitement does spill over and some use the Mobius as a general recommendation. Since this is a dash camera forum but not solely dedicated for enthusiasts I'm interested in discussing it from both sides.

Yes, by all means, let's discuss it from both sides but let's gather some objective solid information before we do so. :)

Certainly the roll out of the Mobius 2 hasn't been handled too well. Let's hope the camera meets or exceeds expectations after all the waiting and delays. For me, I ordered one within hours after it went on sale and I can't wait for it to arrive. My feeling is that it will likely require the same kind of ongoing development and polishing we saw in the M0bius 1, and it may take awhile but that's what makes the Mobius, the Mobius and is part of what you are buying into. I have experienced more fun, enjoyment, creativity, practical value and wide range of interesting uses for the Mobius than just about any other camera I've ever owned and I fully expect the same thing will happen with the Mobius 2, one way or another. The Mobius has been extraordinarily reliable to boot! No typical dedicated dash cam can touch it.

The JooVuu-X may well be a terrific camera but so far it just hasn't garnered the kind of enthusiastic dedicated fan base that the Mobius has; at least not yet. There's just something special about the little Mobius. It's been like the little camera that could. :)
Let's see what happens the second time around. ;)

Last edited:
It seem many is already let down by the M2 due to the fact its not 4K, and no body ever hinted at it would be 4K that's just something ppl seem to cook up in their minds.

I mentioned the IMX291 cuz one of the complaints with the mobius from both RC and dashcam users have been its low light performance, but i cant even remember if the IMX291 can do 1080/60.

It seem many is already let down by the M2 due to the fact its not 4K, and no body ever hinted at it would be 4K that's just something ppl seem to cook up in their minds.

I mentioned the IMX291 cuz one of the complaints with the mobius from both RC and dashcam users have been its low light performance, but i cant even remember if the IMX291 can do 1080/60.

The IMX291 is a sensor. It would be the DSP that determines the fps, no?

Seem like it can do even more.
Full HD
1080p

Low voltage LVDS
serial 8 ch 10 bits 120 frames/s 445.5 Mbps/ch
Low voltage LVDS
serial 8 ch 12 bits 60 frames/s 222.75 Mbps/ch
CSI-2 4lane 10 bits 120 frames/s 891 Mbps/lane
CSI-2 4lane 12 bits 60 frames/s 445.5 Mbps/lane
CMOS parallel 10 bits / 12 bits 30 frames/s 74.25 Mpixel/s

Now i an not smart enought to know what all that mean, but i like the sound of it.
http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/new_pro/february_2015/imx290_291_e.html

IMX291 does 1080p60, that's not the sensor they are using though

Could you give a brief explanation/tutorial about the relationship between sensors and DSPs in determining the available FPS in any given camera? I've always thought it was more a function of the DSP over the sensor but apparently it is otherwise. I guess I've never really studied up on this relationship.

Could you give a brief explanation/tutorial about the relationship between sensors and DSPs in determining the available FPS in any given camera? I've always thought it was more a function of the DSP over the sensor but apparently it is otherwise. I guess I've never really studied up on this relationship.

processor and sensor both the need to support the available resolutions, each will offer resolutions that the other needs to be able to support for it to work

processor and sensor both the need to support the available resolutions, each will offer resolutions that the other needs to be able to support for it to work

Thanks. Come to think of it this sounds similar to the way graphics processors and LCD monitor screen refresh rates function, although not the same thing.

Back