Mobius

xreyuk said:
TonyM said:
For info, the auto power off is set to continue recording for 15 seconds after the usb power input is removed.

So I just remove the USB power lead, it will continue recording for 15 seconds, then stay idle for another 15 seconds, and then shut off?

Yeah, I have a question about that too, what is the auto power off delay for then?? I set it to 2 min, but indeed it keeps recording just 15 seconds after power down.....

jean019 said:
what's the maximum record time of the mobius on a 32GB card ? Possible to save a full night (protect a car) ?
thanks

It appears to take 62GB cards as well, check here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=1475

Last edited by a moderator:
dirkzelf said:
Yeah, I have a question about that too, what is the auto power off delay for then?? I set it to 2 min, but indeed it keeps recording just 15 seconds after power down.

The Auto Power Off delay is for when you manually turn on the camera. It does not work when you use Auto Power On via USB (dashcam use).

I have a few of those type of battery packs but not sure if it will charge until Mobius is full then shutoff or continue using the external power once it is full.
I would like to think that if you set the Mobius to Auto Power On then it should continue to draw power from the external source, battery pack or not.
Will have to make tests to be 100% sure.

sh...., I just bought two Mobius and had the idea to power them with that sort of external battery pack (during the night, to take care of my car), WHEN filming.
It's half the price of the "Anypower Tpower C", and the Mobius have mini USB input :eek:
But I only find information on charging smartphone/tablet, but of course nothing for dashcam :cry:

I would be grateful if you can test that ;)

Edit : I think it works :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559
section : battery pack ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I managed to record about 5.5 hours of 1080p30 at highest quality using a 10000mAh external battery. I'd expect longer with different video settings, plus the battery has Apple and Android outputs which vary in available current so more testing required.

For parking mode I will probably record 1sec time lapse photos at lowest size. I've not yet tested how long this will run on the internal battery. Should be long enough for 1-2hrs at the cinema or grocery store car park.

Tried out a 30000 mAh battery pack (I used the 1A output) for 2 hours and it did not shut off. Not a conclusive test by any means, but I would say if you set the Mobius to Auto Power On and connect a battery pack it will use external power first until depleted. Combine that with the time lapse feature (which I haven't tried yet) and a large battery pack and you have a mini surveillance system in your car, just what you're looking for :eek:

Gurkha9 said:
Tried out a 30000 mAh battery pack (I used the 1A output) for 2 hours and it did not shut off. Not a conclusive test by any means, but I would say if you set the Mobius to Auto Power On and connect a battery pack it will use external power first until depleted. Combine that with the time lapse feature (which I haven't tried yet) and a large battery pack and you have a mini surveillance system in your car, just what you're looking for :eek:

That's what I think about ;)
30000mAh ???? :eek: :eek: :eek: It exists ??? the max I found in the known brand is the Anker Pro2 20000mAh but people say it needs 24h to charge, very very long time. 30000mAh for a chinese no-name one, I wonder if this is real 30000mAh.
The idea is :
- to let the camera all the night (at least 8h - between 23h and 7h, the most dangerous hours), 12h of recording would be more practical for me.
- to change every evening the battery before the night (2 batt, one in the car, and one charging at home).
Do you know a BIG battery from a known brand ?

Of course it's a no name brand. It doesn't matter to me though as long as it works and doesn't blow up!
It's more than enough for what I use it for and small and cheap enough to be disposable.
I am sure I could get 8+ hours out of it using the Mobius. After 2 hours at the highest video setting it had more than 75% remaining.

Re: AW: Mobius Action Camera

Did somebody akready took a measurement which amount of current the moebius draws from the external 5V when filming and in parking mode?
This may vary upon the selected resolution and quality.

Re: AW: Mobius Action Camera

adorfer said:
Did somebody akready took a measurement which amount of current the moebius draws from the external 5V when filming and in parking mode?
This may vary upon the selected resolution and quality.

on the Support page, Tom says 300-400mA when filming.

so you will get -under bad conditions- about 2 hours (up to 3 hours) per each 18650 cell in such a mobile usb charger battery pack. So with a 4 cell one you will go perhaps 8-10 hours.
(off course you can assume some unrealistic optimistic values, but i like to stay on the conservative calculation.)

BTW: When you compare the mAh-ratings given by the vendors: some state what you have as capacity of LiIon-Batteries (3.6V nominal), some rate the 5V Output. Including the fact that the StepUp boost converter will only 80% effective (if running good), you will need 2000mAh LiIon capacity to get 1000mAh at the USB-jack.

And some Vendors are even more drastic: The do not only put the rating of the internal batteries, but the charge energy of the internal batteries. A 2400mAh 18650 will need about 3000mAh to be fully charged if starting "from empty".

Gurkha9 said:
dirkzelf said:
Yeah, I have a question about that too, what is the auto power off delay for then?? I set it to 2 min, but indeed it keeps recording just 15 seconds after power down.

The Auto Power Off delay is for when you manually turn on the camera. It does not work when you use Auto Power On via USB (dashcam use).

Wow, that's confusing......?!? :shock:

I'd understand it was for use WITH auto power on recording.... :oops:

adorfer said:
so you will get -under bad conditions- about 2 hours (up to 3 hours) per each 18650 cell in such a mobile usb charger battery pack. So with a 4 cell one you will go perhaps 8-10 hours.
(off course you can assume some unrealistic optimistic values, but i like to stay on the conservative calculation.)

BTW: When you compare the mAh-ratings given by the vendors: some state what you have as capacity of LiIon-Batteries (3.6V nominal), some rate the 5V Output. Including the fact that the StepUp boost converter will only 80% effective (if running good), you will need 2000mAh LiIon capacity to get 1000mAh at the USB-jack.

And some Vendors are even more drastic: The do not only put the rating of the internal batteries, but the charge energy of the internal batteries. A 2400mAh 18650 will need about 3000mAh to be fully charged if starting "from empty".

I'm going to try with an Anker one, I ordered the Mobius, an SD card, a 2A wall charger, I now need the battery. Let's try the all the stuff :)

dirkzelf said:
Gurkha9 said:
dirkzelf said:

Wow, that's confusing......?!? :shock:

I'd understand it was for use WITH auto power on recording.... :oops:

I think you guys are confusing "Auto-shut off" with "Auto Power on Delay." The latter is meant to prevent you from accidentally turning the camera on, such us when you put it in your bag or pocket. It's that simple. "Auto shut-off," on the other hand, tells the camera to turn off after a period of inactivity to save battery.

jean019 said:
adorfer said:

I'm going to try with an Anker one, I ordered the Mobius, an SD card, a 2A wall charger, I now need the battery. Let's try the all the stuff :)

I think you're confusing mA or milliampere, which is a unit of current, and mAh or milliampere-hour, which is the battery capacity.

Swordfish said:
I think you guys are confusing "Auto-shut off" with "Auto Power on Delay." The latter is meant to prevent you from accidentally turning the camera on, such us when you put it in your bag or pocket. It's that simple. "Auto shut-off," on the other hand, tells the camera to turn off after a period of inactivity to save battery.

Not at all. Power on Delay is another thing altogether as you explained.
dirkzelf was asking if he could control how long the camera would stay on after external USB power was cut. As far as I know there is no setting for this if you have Auto Record (correct term) set as default for dashcam use. If you turn the camera on manually and it's not connected to an external power source, that's where the Auto Power Off feature works (30 sec, 1 min, 2min, Off) if the camera is in standby state, to save internal battery power.

Swordfish said:
I think you're confusing mA or milliampere, which is a unit of current, and mAh or milliampere-hour, which is the battery capacity.
sorry, but that's not totally correct. battery capacity is measured in (m)Wh or (m)Ws if it's a capacitor.
So you have to multiply the value for mAh with the voltage of the battery?

example: If you have 2 cells of 2000mAh, both 3,6V nominal. You can either put them parallel, giving you 4000mAh at 3,6V.
Or you put them serial, so you'll get only 2000mAh at 7,2V. The available energy will be the same in both cases, so the capacity of this battery block is 14,8Wh.

Other example.
If you have a cell of 2000mAh at 3,6V (7,2Wh) and put this up to 5V, you would be (without the loss on the step up converter) at 1440maH at 5V (=7,2Wh).
but since the converter just has about 80% efficiency, the box would feed you probably 5,7Wh (1150mAh at 5V).

ampere–hour: a unit quantity of electricity equal to the quantity carried past any point of a circuit in one hour by a steady current of one ampere. -- Merriam Webster's Dictionary

Back