Motorcycle dash cam(Waterproof)?

In the next few weeks I'll ask some friends what they think. My town has an enormous biker following/community so I'm bound to get some constructive feedback on what they would think on the subject as well as what styles of mounting hardware they think would be best.

EDIT: I might even go out tonight and see what people think about mounting hardware.

WhiteEightBall said:
In the next few weeks I'll ask some friends what they think. My town has an enormous biker following/community so I'm bound to get some constructive feedback on what they would think on the subject as well as what styles of mounting hardware they think would be best.

that's the best kind of feedback

The 808 #26 will have a waterproof case. More than that is possible to use it under water, up to... 10 meters?
With internal battery you can record about 40-50 minutes in 1080p@30fps, so for your 30 minutes ride is enough.

Next week I think will be available in official ebay stores. About prices I don't know anything.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• Bottom side.jpg
    Bottom side.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 255
  • Top side.jpg
    Top side.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 247
  • Lens side.jpg
    Lens side.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 248
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, now only to mod the case to be able to stick the USB cable into it without losing waterproofing.

I don't think is possible to not lose the full waterproofing. If you want to record more than 40 minutes than can be a problem. Or maybe will be possible to insert two tiny wires just for the charging but I think the camera must be opened and making some direct wiring to the PCB.

New pictures:

Price: $120 here.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• Helmet mount.JPG
    Helmet mount.JPG
    486.2 KB · Views: 236
  • Bike mount.JPG
    Bike mount.JPG
    458.3 KB · Views: 237
I'm thinking something along the lines of a rubberized grommet or similar to maintain water proofing.

But, as jokiin said, the cameras aren't the issue here, finding and or creating a camera that is waterproof all the time with a permanent wiring solotion would be the easy part. Figuring out the mounting hardware that would maintain the camera's stealth application is going to be difficult.

The size/mounting is why I suggested one like the HD720 camera. You can find a flat or semi-flat surface anywhere on a bike(Not all bikes have normal handlebars; IE Crotch rockets). It rotates one way so adjusting up/down is cake. Simplicity is key.

My bike is naked. So I will have to mount it to a headlight bracket or some other area personally. I don't want it on the handlebars if I can avoid it.

I have a Contour and a Hero camera. Having a million mounts included is pointless and wastes money. I actually made a new mount for my DVR-007 based off this camera too

Camera has to be powered by 12v. On/off with the power source.

hd-720p-smallest-in-car-dash-camera-video.jpg

892684_10152740950650581_262944719_o.jpg

Why recommending such a bad camera compared to the DVR 0801?
More about it in this thread.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
Why recommending such a bad camera compared to the DVR 0801?
More about it in this thread.

enjoy,
Mtz
I did not recommend that camera. I recommended the style/size :cool:
I had one of those 720's btw... piece of junk. The one you linked though... I like that. May research it... the 007 I have it big

I use cam 808 #16 mounted inside my helmet. The camera must be turned on manualy witch is rather annoying, but turns off by itself. Going to wait for 808 #16 1080p or for improved version (and price) of 808 r32 cam although the #26 might be best option if it still fits inside the helmet. So I am still thinking.
Test video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3XDqo34 ... ata_player
Mounting
qutusuvu.jpg

Simple and good idea. If you don't care too much about the helmet maybe you can fix the camera inside the soft part of the helmet.

enjoy,
Mtz

Or you can invent some mount using a lens with long cable.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
Or you can invent some mount using a lens with long cable.

enjoy,
Mtz
+1
that look smart
and it is a wider lense

Have tried to set it up on my motorbike but it was to shaky, found the best solution into my helmet, discreet, almost hiden from others bikers, well protected, dont think it can hurt but you can add soft stuff between camera and chin, high quality video, not expensive 99 euros on amazon, easy to use, easy to take it out and you can always use the camera for holidays, you even dont need to make a hole, thalnks to the wide angle i record in the same time the traffic and the speed and hour appearing on my dashboard.Cheers

Attachments

• ECO1.jpg
    ECO1.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 195
  • ECO5.jpg
    ECO5.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 196
  • ECO3.jpg
    ECO3.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 191
  • ECO2.jpg
    ECO2.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 188
Consider also the F10. Niko Tests on last page quality is good near a Ls300w very crispy night and day.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1401

Shook proof , waterproof , cheap

that comes whit Waterproof case ,a lot of mounts and battery.
would be a nice option , even a hardwire adaptation and putting in loop and them forget about.

also techmoan done a review of this cam somewhere of video he does a view from motorcycle and you can have a preview.

i noticed this has a Cam Screw so you can do Strong Claw Support like i done few years ago in machined Aluminium.

dont forget put 3 or 4 "O" Coin Rubber they minimize the bumping cut the screw and Voilá there it is.
ww636be.jpg

Attachments

• $(KGrHqUOKpYFGVzB9PIVBRm0uG6RpQ~~60_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqUOKpYFGVzB9PIVBRm0uG6RpQ~~60_3.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 161
  • $T2eC16Z,!ygE9s7HJ-n1BRm089HqY!~~60_3.JPG
    $T2eC16Z,!ygE9s7HJ-n1BRm089HqY!~~60_3.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 162

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374857316.653795.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374857316.653795.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 122
Thanks for the responses everyone. Seems like there's not much available... I have had helmet camera's mounted to a bunch of places on motorcycles before and vibration was not an issue. I also have a gp hero and Contour Roam2... not what I need for this application.

Also not really interested in putting more weight on my helmet. I ride 30 min to work daily. Already a burden on my neck as it is

Hi Krookz,

My 1st post on this forum! I was in a similar position to you a couple of years ago - ie: I wanted a cam for the bike that operated the same as my car cam. I searched all over and couldn't find anything that filled the need. I had (still have) a Hero2 which is great for it's intended purpose but it is not a dashcam. I wanted something that was mounted on the bike, came on when I started the bike, loop recorded and switched off when I stopped the bike etc. For me, a GPS was also a 'very nice to have'. I know it can be double edged sword. I guess it depends how often you exceed the speed limit! ;-)

Anyway, at the time there wasn't anything on the market that was really suitable. I had a Blackvue DR400 in the car so I thought about modifying this and mounting it on the bike. I did this by making a mounting bracket and coating the whole cam in liquid rubber. I also wired the power to the bikes ignition switch. At the time I wasn't sure if this was going to waterproof the unit enough but it was an experiment to see what would happen.

Well, that was almost 2 years and 35,000 miles ago and the DR400 is still on the bike and still working exactly the same as when I fitted it! I don't take the camera off the bike and very seldom look at the captured video. In the 2 years I have only had one incident where I really needed the footage - there was a 'hit and run' ahead of me. I came across the poor guy lying in the middle of the road after being struck by a car. The car was speeding off in the distance. When the Police arrived they had a look at the footage but couldn't resolve enough detail to identify the car properly. The good news was the guy hit recovered OK.

And so my search continues ..... although my modified DR400 works it is not a ideal bike cam: I managed to get it to fit my main bike (BMW R1200 GSA) because the bike is tall and has a fairly wide front-end and screen. We have a couple of other bikes - a BMW F700 GS and a Suzuki SV650. The DR400 wouldn't fit on either of these ..... well, not easily! an improvement in IQ would also be nice :)

I'm amazed that manufactures haven't addressed this market segment. IMHO, the need for a cam on a bike is as great (if not greater) on a bike. At the right price point of course ......

Certainly aware of the need, and the opportunity, something I've wanted to do for a while, maybe next year if all goes well

Certainly aware of the need, and the opportunity, something I've wanted to do for a while, maybe next year if all goes well

:)

Just having a look at one I haven't seen before:
http://www.sportcamera.cn/product_show.asp?id=2

On paper it looks like a possibility. I've emailed for some more technical spec's so will see what they come back with. Depending on this I may get a sample over to try out ........

Back