My A129 Duo just died

gabilondo77

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo,Viofo A129 Pro Duo 4K
After 4-5 months of use my A129 Duo died yesterday..I bought it in June 2019 but used only till A129 Pro came out..Now it was installed since 2 months ago in my car because the A129 Pro was failing too much in parking mode..The A129 Duo was recording in normal recording mode for 8 hours per day while the car is parked at work garage..The leds are off and the screen too,it consumes battery from the powerbank and gets a little warm like normal but is dead,I've tried hard reset but nothing..Anybody had the same problem?

Try to make a firmware update. Format the card as FAT32 using SD Formatter. Copy the firmware to the card by using the computer.

Try to make a firmware update. Format the card as FAT32 using SD Formatter. Copy the firmware to the card by using the computer.
Thanks @Mtz,I was about to try that tomorrow.

Camera is possible to be a little warm because of GPS mount if you are powering the camera from the mount.
If camera is not starting after you inserted the card and the power cable, try to press on the Power button too.

enjoy,
Mtz

Ok,I've tried to flash the firmware with no luck.I tried also to power via GPS module and the camera gets a little warm,GPS module is ice cold..If I power by the side socket the powerbank shuts down itself after 1 minute as there is no power drawn from the camera.If is powered by GPS socket the powerbank stay on and the camera gets a little warm but it is not powering on,I've tried pressing the power button too and the reset button with no luck.I assume is just dead.I've checked the files on the card and the camera died on 30th of december at 13:00h recording in the work garage.The last 2 files were corrupted with a size of 564MB instead of 604MB normal size for 5min clip.Also was strange that all the files were saved with Rear first and Front after..I don't know if Viofo have 2 years warranty in Europe,I bought this camera from Amazon.I will see next days what can I do to receive a replacement.

LE: I noticed that the camera's power button is working..If I connect on the side usb and I press the power button the powerbank is switching on and the camera gets warm on the LCD screen area.If I long press the power button after that,the powerbank is switching off after 10 seconds as there is no power draw anymore from the camera..just the screen is not powering up,no beeps and the camera is not entering flash mode with the firmware card inside,the card itself is hot like in normal operation when I take it out from the camera.

Last edited:
Have yo tried without a memory card installed?

Maybe try reinstalling the bootloader.

Yes I have tried without card and the camera have the same behaviour..Where I can find the bootloader?

I'm wondering if this is a fault with the LCD screen or it's cable? It seems that other than the corrupt files the cam can process and record data to the card.

But best to find out if Viofo will warranty it before cracking the cam open leaving it nonreturnable.

Phil

Already opened a ticket on viofo web,hope they will offer a replacement,I will not open the dashcam.I would try flashing the bootloader but I can't find it anywhere.

Already opened a ticket on viofo web,hope they will offer a replacement,I will not open the dashcam.I would try flashing the bootloader but I can't find it anywhere.
PM me your email address and I will send the bootloader to you.

LE: I noticed that the camera's power button is working..If I connect on the side usb and I press the power button the powerbank is switching on and the camera gets warm on the LCD screen area.If I long press the power button after that,the powerbank is switching off after 10 seconds as there is no power draw anymore from the camera..just the screen is not powering up,no beeps and the camera is not entering flash mode with the firmware card inside,the card itself is hot like in normal operation when I take it out from the camera.
Did you have a card inserted? Did the camera record somethting on the card after you pressed the button?
I know you will receive a replacement but other people can learn from your experience. Right now you learned that even a camera is completely dead just pressing the power button can do something.

enjoy,
Mtz

Did you have a card inserted? Did the camera record somethting on the card after you pressed the button?
I know you will receive a replacement but other people can learn from your experience. Right now you learned that even a camera is completely dead just pressing the power button can do something.

enjoy,
Mtz
Yes the card is inserted,but the camera seems to not recognize the card slot,is not reading or writing on the card..Sometimes if the card is inside,the power button is not responding,but if I take out the card power button will respond,after that I insert the card and the button is still responding..I used 2 Viofo cards and one Samsung card in my tests,still the same result..I tried to load the bootloader from the card and firmware after that with no luck,LCD or Leds doesn't light up..Today I've mounted the A129 Pro 4K on my car and let it record on normal recording in the work garage at 1080p resolution,at 2PM the camera was recording,but at 6PM when I get in the car to go back home the camera was freezing and not responding to power button or any other button,I had to take out the usb plug to bring it back to life..I'm so pissed now..Till now I don't have any response from @viofo

Yes the card is inserted,but the camera seems to not recognize the card slot,is not reading or writing on the card..Sometimes if the card is inside,the power button is not responding,but if I take out the card power button will respond,after that I insert the card and the button is still responding..I used 2 Viofo cards and one Samsung card in my tests,still the same result..I tried to load the bootloader from the card and firmware after that with no luck,LCD or Leds doesn't light up..Today I've mounted the A129 Pro 4K on my car and let it record on normal recording in the work garage at 1080p resolution,at 2PM the camera was recording,but at 6PM when I get in the car to go back home the camera was freezing and not responding to power button or any other button,I had to take out the usb plug to bring it back to life..I'm so pissed now..Till now I don't have any response from @viofo
How are you powering the Pro? Are you using the 12V car adapter that came with the A129 DUO or the 12V car adapter that came with the A129 Pro?

If you have 2 cameras with problems I think the problem are not the cameras. So it is possible, even Viofo will replace the cameras, your problems to start again.

How are you powering the Pro? Are you using the 12V car adapter that came with the A129 DUO or the 12V car adapter that came with the A129 Pro?
I'm powering the camera with a good Zendure A8PD 26800mAh USB-C PD powerbank,actually I have two of them and I have the same problems on both with the A129 Pro,thats why I switched back to A129 wich worked fine for two months with no problem at all...The A129 Pro problem is software,normally not switching from parking mode to normal recording when the car is moving,even after it gets GPS signal.Sometimes can take 5-6 minutes to get the GPS signal but not switching from parking mode anyway,it have the latest 03082020 firmware..It was freezing some times before with the lighter power adapter too while driving,and yes I used the A129 Pro power adapter and cable..

Last edited:
If you have 2 cameras with problems I think the problem are not the cameras. So it is possible, even Viofo will replace the cameras, your problems to start again.
Is not the case,please read my previous comment.

After 4-5 months of use my A129 Duo died yesterday..I bought it in June 2019 but used only till A129 Pro came out..Now it was installed since 2 months ago in my car because the A129 Pro was failing too much in parking mode..The A129 Duo was recording in normal recording mode for 8 hours per day while the car is parked at work garage..The leds are off and the screen too,it consumes battery from the powerbank and gets a little warm like normal but is dead,I've tried hard reset but nothing..Anybody had the same problem?

Tengo dos camaras de Viofo A129 Duo, uno en cada coche,. Y los dos camaras operan sin problemlas.

1. Primero, Remove la energia de suministro,. Conecta la camara a adaptor de USB y 12V. - Ve si la camara trabaja.
2. Segundo, Eres Cierto installa el 3 wire hardwire kit correctemente a caja de fusibles? Rojo va a bateria y amarailla a accessoria. Negro a tiera (ground).
3. Tienes fusibles de apropiados en los adaptador (fuse taps). Fusible original circa de caja de fusible y un fusible de 5 watt ariba en fuse taps.
4. Que tarjeta de MicroSd que usas?

Last edited:
Tengo dos camaras de Viofo A129 Duo, uno en cada coche,. Y los dos camaras operan sin problemlas.

1. Primero, Remove la energia de suministro,. Conecta la camara a adaptor de USB y 12V. - Ve si la camara trabaja.
2. Segundo, Eres Cierto installa el 3 wire hardwire kit correctemente a caja de fusibles? Rojo va a bateria y amarailla a accessoria. Negro a tiera (ground)
3. Que tarjeta de MicroSd que usas?
@HonestReview,thanks for your help,but I've done already all the steps and tests which can be done at home,I've tried already AC power adapter,2 powerbanks,PC USB,2 viofo cards and one samsung card.

Back