My brand new SG9665GC V3 is not performing as expected!

that's around 117°f, not sure how enjoyable that is for you, too warm for my liking though
Since we measure in F vs C high 40's are welcomed in February - even though it seldom happens. Anything in triple digits (F or C) is much to warm for my liking so when I see that happening anywhere my empathy levels go up.

Probably not fully heat related issue here. S/N: 2016510023

Driving off after sitting in a cool office for 8 hours, Notice that the right blue sign is in focus but the left one isn't?
The bonnet is completely sharp but the licenceplate of the car 16.2 meters away (I know licensplates at 10m are 60 px, this one is 37) isn't
mFIHf1K.jpg

Half hour of 25Celsius drive later: focus on the wiperarm (5cm away) has improved but the far field focus has deteriorated.
cYjF1gC.png

Last edited:
But setting the focus to less than 1,40 is also a but strange right?

Those distances are too far away to be able to get licence plate details at the best of times
16 meters isn't that bad. The old V2 S/N: SGGC-B15390635 does fine.
Here I drive about three times the speed in less light. licenseplate on the left is 37px and thuis the same distance.
zaGd7Oe.jpg

I agree, but the sweet spot is closer than on my V2 and also closer than the spot on my previous V3.

This is 13 metres.
nMJ8ZH7.jpg

And this is less than 10.
Sorry but the van is not that soft! (n)
4wZcBYt.jpg

4wZcBYt.jpg

Things on the right side seem cripspy and clear though.
Could be misalignment of lens/chip?

I8n2q4I.jpg

V2: june 1st

tamVEwQ.jpg

V3: june 14
hRb7538.jpg

QED?

Crikey ... those pictures look great to my eyes ... this is about a $300 dash cam here .. not a $3,000 nikon

Out of curiosity .. what are your other Cameras .. and how much are they worth?
In other words - what kind of picture quality are you used to looking at through a Camera?

In other words - what kind of picture quality are you used to looking at through a Camera?
GT300W, GT680W and a GC90C which I had to refocus myself.

The GC V2 has been my benchmark since december 2015.
I recieved a free sample V3 from Jokiin for testing in March, which worked beautifully until it blew up a month ago. Could have been me using it as a card reader. :oops:
That was replaced under warranty (can you believe that? Warranty on a free sample which was blown up due to stubborn user error?) by Hiniko last week.

Now weather is improving here and I noticed the far field fuzzyness.

Last edited:
First thing I checked, second was cleaning the window.
I have both cams lying herre on my desk. I'll test them.

Ok, I will have to test this outside. This doesnt work. :confused:

Wouldn't make sense to set the fixed focus to be optimized so far away. (no license plates that far out)

At those sorts of distances its way out of the focal sweet spot of the lens

You would need at least a 500mm lens on a sensor like this before you could start talking about a focus sweet spot.
A sensor this small (6.23mm) with a lens this short (let's say 4mm?) with an aperture at f/2.0 would result in a hyperfocal distance of 2m. That will result in a depth of field from 1m up to infinity. There is no sweet spot.

Assuming the lens is in fact set to focus at the hyperfocal distance of 2m, what we are seeing is it being shifted due to heat to focus at let's say 1.5m instead. The result of that would be a depth of field not from 1m to infinity, but from 0.86m to 5.95m. Hence the softer far objects and the sharper dashboard/windscreen wipers/...

Last edited:
Well now, keep your eye on the green garbage bin for the strongest effect. Straight ahead the bricks are in focus on the V2, not on the V3. Right side of the image is fine!
Wiper arm is as we already knew.
The line between the boards of the garage on the left is completely gone.
gYVuRve.gif

Last edited:
@Feitelijk your must have good eyes for detail as most of them above don't look a lot different to me. I do notice it when it becomes noticeable but I can barely notice it above, very slightly if any.
GT300W, GT680W and a GC90C which I had to refocus myself.
I recieved a free sample V3 from Jokiin for testing in March, which worked beautifully until it blew up a month ago. Could have been me using it as a card reader. :oops:
That was replaced under warranty (can you believe that? Warranty on a free sample which was blown up due to stubborn user error?) by Hiniko last week.
wonder if it would be warrantied if I accidentally dropped it when getting out and it fell on the road and got run over?

Back