My T130 overheats in parking mode

DJFroggy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I had a problem with my new T130 where it would suddenly stop and restart recording after it was running for approximately 6 or 7 minutes. It turns out that I had a bunch of sd cards that worked fine for other cameras but not the T130. Now I'm using a 128gb SanDisk Extreme and it's recorded for hours without resetting. I had installed the HK4 and started using parking mode. I had it set to automatic event detection and low bitrate recording. It was fine until the past few days when it's been very hot here in NJ. A few days ago I got home from work and started my car like usual to get the AC cranking and cool off my car. Upon entering my car I noticed it was extremely hot in there. It was probably over 150 degrees fahrenheit. Normally as soon as I turn the key, the camera exits parking mode and starts maximum bitrate recording. We'll this time it didn't even turn on. I took the camera off the windshield and held it in front of the ac vent for about 5 minutes. By that time it had cooled off enough in my car to put the T130 back on the windshield and plug it in. It powered up like normal so I thought everything was fine. So, I turned the key off but didn't hear "Parking Recording Started" like usual. I started my car back up and turned on wifi on the camera and connected to it with the Viofo app. It turns out that when the camera overheats in parking mode and turns itself off, it won't start back up until you turn parking mode back on. However, I had to reset a majority of the cameras settings. It would be nice if nothing got reset. Anyone else have their camera reset while in parking mode?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I had a problem with my new T130 where it would suddenly stop and restart recording after it was running for approximately 6 or 7 minutes. It turns out that I had a bunch of sd cards that worked fine for other cameras but not the T130. Now I'm using a 128gb SanDisk Extreme and it's recorded for hours without resetting. I had installed the HK4 and started using parking mode. I had it set to automatic event detection and low bitrate recording. It was fine until the past few days when it's been very hot here in NJ. A few days ago I got home from work and started my car like usual to get the AC cranking and cool off my car. Upon entering my car I noticed it was extremely hot in there. It was probably over 150 degrees fahrenheit. Normally as soon as I turn the key, the camera exits parking mode and starts maximum bitrate recording. We'll this time it didn't even turn on. I took the camera off the windshield and held it in front of the ac vent for about 5 minutes. By that time it had cooled off enough in my car to put the T130 back on the windshield and plug it in. It powered up like normal so I thought everything was fine. So, I turned the key off but didn't hear "Parking Recording Started" like usual. I started my car back up and turned on wifi on the camera and connected to it with the Viofo app. It turns out that when the camera overheats in parking mode and turns itself off, it won't start back up until you turn parking mode back on. However, I had to reset a majority of the cameras settings. It would be nice if nothing got reset. Anyone else have their camera reset while in parking mode?
You didn't mention the temperature but checking for NJ it looks like it's around the mid 20c
If the outside temp is in that range then I would be really surprised if you had an inside temp of 150f 65.5c

If you are using a reflection sun device that sits in your dash and the dash cam was between it and the windscreen then that might make it (the T130 ) very hot.

I've done heat tests when it was summer here and it worked fine however this year my summer wasn't as hot as some years still reached 41.5c in January.

Only time I've had it reset the setting was after I've done a firmware upgrade. Unfortunately this as designed.

I don't care what any weather channel or website says. People who live here know that it was 96-99 degrees here a few days ago and was probably hotter than 150 degrees in my car. No doubt that it overheated because it wouldn't even turn on when I turned the key.

My apologies, I wasn't trying to sound nasty or anything. I have a big problem with heat so I know when the temp is too high.

Hey guys,

Can you try to use the car charger instead of the hardwire kits, and have you upgraded the latest firmware?

Can you try to use the car charger instead of the hardwire kits, and have you upgraded the latest firmware?
If I can't have parking mode which is why I got this thing, then I want to to be able to exchange it for an A139 3 channel immediately with an HK3 kit. I'll send back everything I got from you.

If heat is a problem, as in outside influence, then a A139 will probably perform the same, or any other on windscreen system for that matter.
This is one of the reasons i think so high about the dual remote systems where you can hide the main unit / heat generating unit out of direct sun, and even if cars do get blast furnace hot then the main unit not receiving direct sun have to be a lot better in this regard.
And if only the companies could make the main unit large and put in a serious cooler ( heat pipe / vapor chamber ) then IMO it should be A LOT better.
But all remote systems i am aware off now have pretty small main units,,,,,,, this in my perspective is a major design flaw,,,, CUZ no need to make it small if you put it out of sight anyway.

If heat is a problem, as in outside influence, then a A139 will probably perform the same, or any other on windscreen system for that matter.
This is one of the reasons i think so high about the dual remote systems where you can hide the main unit / heat generating unit out of direct sun, and even if cars do get blast furnace hot then the main unit not receiving direct sun have to be a lot better in this regard.
And if only the companies could make the main unit large and put in a serious cooler ( heat pipe / vapor chamber ) then IMO it should be A LOT better.
But all remote systems i am aware off now have pretty small main units,,,,,,, this in my perspective is a major design flaw,,,, CUZ no need to make it small if you put it out of sight anyway.
Ok then I'll take a refund and I'll go with another company. I don't have time to argue about this. I NEED parking mode and I NEED a 3 channel dash cam for Lyft.

When i tested the T130 and A139 weather in Denmark was pretty moderate so i did not see any parking guard heat problems, and i do think i tried at least some longer duration beside the 1 hour i would normally use.

I love this thing in parking mode. I keep it on auto event detection and low bitrate recording and it records from the moment I turn it off around 9pm and it runs till around 730am when I start my car. I have a 2015 Hyundai Sonata w a huge car battery in it lol. However I don't use a dashcam battery.

The A139 is by far my favorite 3 channel / ride share camera, as its cabin camera are on a wire too, and so can be placed anywhere along the top of the windscreen, probably even further away but then you need to get a much longer rear camera wire for it.
In my car i put the cabin camera on the mirror stalk ( mounted off roof ) this put the camera right smack in the middle, with excellent coverage of the cabin, it was only offset 1" or so due to the cameras form factor.

As far as i know there are no triple remote systems out yet, also the choice for dual remote systems are still pretty low, and also no single dedicated cabin camera that would have IR light to aid at night.
I totally get you want a camera if you are into that kind of stuff, in Denmark ride share of any kind are banned and only official licenced taxis are allowed,,,,,,, pretty embarresing if you ask me as a person with seemingly larger need for freedom than the average Dane.

I do myself use a CCTV camera on my car when at home, it is a IP camera bolted to my 2 floor balcony door.
It give me notifications, but not too often as i am looking down on the parked car, so no movement in the background, and the system have AI motion detect so only vehicle and human shapes will set off a notification, and as i am zoomed in close to the car i only have the immediate surroundings in frame.
Right now / seconds ago it looked like this.
right now.jpg

If I can't have parking mode which is why I got this thing, then I want to to be able to exchange it for an A139 3 channel immediately with an HK3 kit. I'll send back everything I got from you.
I believe they were just suggesting this as a troubleshooting step to rule out the hardwire kit as your issue, not as a permanent solution.

But he can not test parking guard performance on the regular power kit.
I am not aware if the HW kits them self could also rin into thermal issues and so also be a thing that can shut down in hot weather.

The T130 should technically enter parking mode with the 12V adapter after about 5 minutes of no motion, though the 12V port would need to be live all the time on his car.

Viofo has warned about placing the hardwire kits in areas where where it wouldn't get ventilation, like under the car carpet or behind trim. This could cause the kit to overheat.

I have always secured the HW kits to a strut that hold up parts of the dashboard, i assume in some cars you would be able to cram it in the "compartment" where you access the fuses.
My friend previous car, you would open the driver side door, and then in the side of the exposed dash you would find the compartment where the fuses was, in my car it is just a hard to get at box low on the " A- pillar " in the driver foot well, but there are plenty of empty space down there so i would not assume it was a issue with my setup.

Never tested in the viofo cameras was able to go into parking by inactivity rather than wires, but it for sure are not something i would rule out.
My last SG camera the SG9663DR did have a 2 or 3 wire option in the menus, i assume it relate to something like that, and i suppose if you had a car with the 12 V socket was always on, it would be a way to still use that socket with or without using parking guard.

I tested my copy of the T130 in a closed car in a parking lot in the "Low Bitrate Recording" mode for 12 hours in an open parking lot at an air temperature of +25 - +27 degrees Celsius. (I don't know what temperature was inside). No failures were observed. The recording lasted exactly 12 hours, then the DVR turned off.

Damn it did that hot,,,,, amazing i would not have expected that even with the car parked with the back towards the sun.
This could be hot hard wire kit then ? wonder what @DJFroggy have to say to that.

Back