New Card not looping. and freezing camera

soundesciple

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
DR400G-hd II / mini 0803 / Mobius + A lens.
Hi Guy's Anyone been using a Samsung 64gb micro SDXC UHS-I Card in there Mobius? I Had a SanDisk Ultra 64gb that I had to RMA because it was faulty and have read a few reports of SanDisk cards being a bit temperamental in dash cams, so thought I would get a Samsung to try, and I could use it in my phone as well as the Mobius when needed.
I have ran the card until full but when it got to the loop over point it froze the camera up : ie( it would not turn off with the buttons) I had to use the re-set hole to turn it off.
I've used the card in exFat mode this time But plan to format the card to Fat32 this time to test it and see if that works ok.
Just wondering if anyone has tested this card before, and what program they formatted the card with? I plan to use GUIFormat
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
unless there's a better one.

Are you on firmware v2.18?

I have just looked at my settings in mSetup 3.0.3.0 And I have it set to boot into mode 1 :

1.PNG2.PNG

Do you think this could be causing it to not loop/freeze ?

It's probably exfat tbh - can you try with fat32 please?

Yes, that's what I have it formatted to now so just have to fill up 64gb again and see what happens :p

That's the only problem with big cards - you have to wait a while to fill it again! I actually have a copy of a cards worth so I can speed up the testing process now to make it easier!

I'm sure Isoprop did mention there's an issue with looping and exFAT. For a filesystem that's designed for larger SD cards everyone seems to have problems with the implementation of it!

That's the only problem with big cards - you have to wait a while to fill it again! I actually have a copy of a cards worth so I can speed up the testing process now to make it easier!

I'm sure Isoprop did mention there's an issue with looping and exFAT. For a filesystem that's designed for larger SD cards everyone seems to have problems with the implementation of it!
Right. You HAVE to use FAT32 if you want reliable loop recording with 64GB cards. ExFAT will not work correctly with 64GB cards. In firmware v2.18 set the formatting to FAT32 and use the built-in card formatting routine.
So far my tests have shown that 128GB cards work equally well if formatted with FAT32 or exFAT, but the camera's internal formatting routine won't format 128GB correctly with FAT32, so use exFAT with 128GB cards!
I also don't recommend using Sandisk cards. So far I have had 4 completely different batches of Sandisk fail on me. Three cards 'flipped' to read only and another one failed completely. I don't know the reason, but so far no other cards have failed on my long-term tests. Only Sandisk. Maybe Sandisks have a heat problem? Unfortunately, the only 128GB cards currently available are Sandisks, but hopefully they use a different controller.

Good idea that keeping a copy of a nearly full card, I'll do that myself when this is full.

Right. You HAVE to use FAT32 if you want reliable loop recording with 64GB cards. ExFAT will not work correctly with 64GB cards. In firmware v2.18 set the formatting to FAT32 and use the built-in card formatting routine.

Aah I think that's were I went wrong I new I had formatted the card with GUIFormate.exe to Fat32 then put the card in and connected to mSetup and formatted the card again but forgot to change the formate from exFat to Fat 32 so it changed it back again :p

I new I had read somwhere that 64gb cards work best in FAt32 formate.
Thanks for that Isoprop.

Maybe Sandisks have a heat problem? Unfortunately, the only 128GB cards currently available are Sandisks, but hopefully they use a different controller.

Controller chipset that Sandisk use is different and problematic for a lot of cameras unfortunately

Well I left the camera running all night on the power brick and all went well. now running it Fat32 it looped over no problems. :)
Thanks ppl.

For me CLASS 4 card did the trick. ;)

Other two CLASS 10 card were unpredictable. :(

For me CLASS 4 card did the trick. ;)

Other two CLASS 10 card were unpredictable. :(
Try FW v2.18 and I suspect your two class 10 cards will work perfectly if they are formatted to FAT32. All the same, I still recommend using class 4 whenever possible.

i went around and around with my friend's class 10. couldnt get his mobius to work at all, it was freezing and skipping clips. then i noticed it was a class 10, put my 4 in it and it worked flawlessly. he was sent a class 10 card in class 4 packaging after looking closer at the card...

I have the same Samsung card and the same initial problem but FW 1.20 my mobius came with. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sunlight-cover-for-mobius-and-64gb-samsung-sdxc.7745/

fixed it following these instructions https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-64gb-overwrite-when-full.4579/page-3

"Formatting the card with SDFormatter 4.0 on windows, using Full (Overwrite) and Format Size Adjustment ON it does the job ;)" (takes a while) and for me it worked. Successfully looped first test last night, and am testing it again tonight for 12 hours. Will post results.

Last edited by a moderator:
ran all night and looped as expected. The trick was using SDFormatter 4.0 on windows, using Full (Overwrite) and Format Size Adjustment ON for me. Hope it works for others with FW 1.20.

One thing that still holds true is that SanDisk is very problematic

Back