New DVR207 from eBay seller estore009? 1440x1080?

RSole said:
(149 sold, 144 watchers- Feb 25 11pm)

161 sold 154 watchers more then 10 for sale. Still 70 dollars.

DashCamMan,

- How does one tell if 1440x1080 resolution is interpolated or not?
- Where can I find specs on COACH12 chips? Your chart on page 1 of this threads shows COACH 12, but "MDV" is not in the image so I don't know which one is in the DVR207.

I finally discovered that COACH is "CameraOnACHip"

Canada Post left me a card today that a package has arrived, ready for pickup. (DVR207??)

RSole said:
DashCamMan, Canada Post left me a card today that a package has arrived, ready for pickup. (DVR207??)

Hurry up & pick it up then :D
We are all hanging to see what the video is like

I already got a demo video from the seller, and it looks OK.

Got it!

I tried it indoors, the 1080 video seems excellent, but... it's only approx 90 degree FOV. The 720 mode produces a much larger FOV (140?) but also grainier. I'll try it at 15 FPS to see it it improves.

I'm gonna mount it today and try it in the car. The mfr could save some money by removing the LEDs, they are totally useless. In a dark room they produce a weak cone of illumination 15 degrees wide and I could only make out objects no further than one or two meters (3-6 feet) in front of the lens.

So far, it seems a good deal for the $59.99 that I paid. I should have bought another for the rear view. I'll try to post videos today.

thanks for your experiences. When using 720p mode, is the image quality still OK? So you can clearly see things.

Took a drive with wet snow coming down, license plates are not readable unless you're stopped right behind a car.

The 1080 resolution is no better than 720 and has a narrower FOV. In 1080 mode, it goes out of focus and back to sharply focused exactly once per second This does not seem good. In 720 mode all is well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaggGvuCQ-8&feature=youtu.be

There is also a 2-4 second gap between recording intervals (mine was set at 2 minutes) so that problem was NOT fixed.

Am I unhappy? Yes, that the seller had told people the gap problems were fixed, and no, I would have bought the DVR027 for the same price.

Ok, this won't be much of a review (short also), since this is my first dash cam, and I have no clue what I'm talking about. :)

I got my DVR207 in the mail today, and took it for a short spin around the neighbourhood. It was lightly snowing, and the sun was setting, so I knew it wasn't the ideal conditions. I also mounted it to my my dash itself, but the video I recorded was upside down. I wish there was an option to "switch" the video, so those who want to mount the cam to their dash can do it without the recording being upside down.

I do like the cam. It will protect me the next time an idiot runs a red light. :) I do find the video a bit grainy, as others have mentioned, but it's not too bad. I'm not overly fussy about it, considering what I paid.

As for the 2-4 second gap as others have mentioned. It looks like they fixed it. After my little ride, I hooked it up to my PC and it played back (on VLC player)pretty seamlessly. I set it to record at 2 minutes max, and playing between each 2 minute segment was pretty good.

I will record better video tomorrow, but I will keep playing around with the settings to get the best picture I can. All in all, I think it was a good investment.

RSole said:
The 1080 resolution is no better than 720 and has a narrower FOV. In 1080 mode, it goes out of focus and back to sharply focused exactly once per second This does not seem good. In 720 mode all is well.

I would think this is only a firmware problem so they should be able to improve this hopefully, make sure to let them know it's an issue though, they won't fix what people don't complain about

I think what could be happening is that maybe the camera is focusing on the moisture on the windshield, then on what's in front of the car. Just a guess though.

iamdrumming said:
I think what could be happening is that maybe the camera is focusing on the moisture on the windshield, then on what's in front of the car. Just a guess though.

rain or dirt can impact focus although the problem seems to remain straight after the wipers go across the screen, can lose a bit of detail due to YouTube but it does look that way anyway

iamdrumming said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but do these cameras really change focus distance? I always assumed that they used cheap fixed focus lenses.

jokiin said:
They are fixed focus
Then could the intermittent focusing issues be caused by faulty lens mount? Maybe it's not securely attached to the board?

AleksGK said:
jokiin said:
They are fixed focus
Then could the intermittent focusing issues be caused by faulty lens mount? Maybe it's not securely attached to the board?

at such regular intervals, and only in 1080p mode? I would think not, I would think a firmware issue is far more likely

Since this appears to be a Coach 12M chip, I'm guessing the specs should be quite consistent for a max 720p @ 30 fps resolution. 1080p is likely interpolated and first impressions appear to confirm this.

Interesting that RSole has the gap between files and iamdrumming does not. Perhaps it is the SD Card?

As for the focusing issue, that appears to be very strange since this is a fixed focus camera. Probably firmware like jokiin mentioned.

Hey guys, so I received my 207 yesterday night, and was able to test it out today. Everything looks good and works as it should. I bought a 32gb SanDisk Ultra(30mbs/Class 10) SD card on sale for $20 to use with the camera, and formatted it to 64kb allocation size. I set my camera to 720p/30fps, 5min clips, and I checked my video files. Absolutely no gaps in between the clips. If there was, it would have been milliseconds. The card was half-full just from today. I am not sure if there will be gaps in between the clips when the card is full, and it has to overwrite existing files. Will let you guys know in a few days.

Daytime video is good, and night is acceptable in my mind. So far, very happy with the purchase. Bought camera on the 18th, came in on the 26th, so pretty fast shipping to San Jose, CA.

Iamdrumming, this cam is fixed focus, with no moving lens parts. There were reports of other cams going out of focus due to overheating problems, but they stayed out of focus until they cooled, I assume due to the lens geometry changing with expansion. Why or by what mechanism this is going in and out of focus at the rate of approx once per second is beyond my present understanding. I'll have to do more testing today.

leo said:
Olli said:
I already got a demo video from the seller, and it looks OK.

Can you please post the demo video?
Seller told me not to post the video, so I'm sorry,i cannot post it:(

Ones who have received it please take video and post here. I still need to consider buying this if it has focus issues and the gap issue.

Back