New DVR207 from eBay seller estore009? 1440x1080?

Thanks! Do you think it's worth of buying? So should I buy it or the older model DVR-027?

Olli said:
Thanks! Do you think it's worth of buying? So should I buy it or the older model DVR-027?

Definitely worth buying. I recommend it. It's a good cam for the money. I'll record some more tomorrow, and upload them then.

I got this one for $70:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310585954574?ss ... 1497.l2649

And this one for $56 (price has since dropped to $50):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260900800763?ss ... 1497.l2649

They both came by China Post by the same method (airmail) and in identical boxes and wrapping from the same town. The $70 one arrived 6 days faster, which I assume that means the shipper sent it sooner.

The plastic housings are identical.

The angle of the lenses seem the same outside. When I shot a test image, the $70 one may be wider.

The menus are a little different.

The $70 one has more saturated color on the display.

Both are H.264 and make singular file sizes.

The $70 one has higher sharpness in the recording, but also more noise. I am not sure that it has higher resolving power.

On this test target, the $50 one appears to be higher resolving power, but I think that is simply because the lens is a little less wide angle. So the sensors are probably equal in resolving power and the lenses are probably equal sharpness. The $70 camera seems to use post-processing to bump up the apparent sharpness (but not actual detail).

Wish - it would be nice to be able to use less compression - I don't need 20 hours of recording for a 32 GB card. I would rather have 10 hours and fewer compression artifacts.

img40.imageshack.us_img40_6403_bothres.png

There is no obvious difference which is better.

This is 1440 mode - not better!

img189.imageshack.us_img189_4893_701440res.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Does DVR207 support turning image `? (I mean using it other way than it is supposed to.)

In 1440 it was not wide-angle. It made a boxy image and was only 15 fps. I don't get excited about 1440. I promise you that you will never want to select that mode.

rsilvers said:
On this test target, the $50 one appears to be higher resolving power, but I think that is simply because the lens is a little less wide angle. (...)
Can you please post a higher resolution picture?

For anyone interested, this is a picture of the ISO 12233 Test Chart. Maybe we could include pictures of this (or any other) standard test chart on the reviews. User Mtz posted pictures of a color test chart on his comments on another model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Olli said:
Does DVR207 support turning image `? (I mean using it other way than it is supposed to.)

If it doesn't have it as a menu option you can use playback software that can flip the image, any embedded info like time and date would still be upside down though

jokiin said:
What's with them not wanting you to post the video?

Since I now have both and see no evidence that the 207 has better video, they probably want to sell as many as possible before people figure this out and they have to drop the price down to $50.

Hello from Norway

My video taken with the DVR 207.
Night time since i tested it this evening.
On and off the ferry Stavangerfjord plus some night time driving

http://youtu.be/zuLoiTonbdw

Be sure to choose HD :)

Looks good to me :)

Best regards

Alsomme

Iamdrumming, that night time video was not so good, very pixelated looking. Others have posted nighttime vids that looked much better so it could just be your upload. The day version looks just like mine does: Good enuf for me, but forget about making out plate numbers more than 15 feet (5 meters) away, especially if they are moving. There is forensic software that can combine data from many frames of video to get much greater detail, if that is ever necessary.

By the way, I've noticed that rear LED running lights on cars appear to be flickering. The eye can't see that they are pulsed LEDs when used as running lights (dimmer appearing), then get continuous power when used as brake lights, but our all-seeing DV207s can, heh heh.

I'm not sure why it's pixelated. I just uploaded as is, and didn't change any setting from when I did the daytime video. Being that I only paid $60 for the dash cam (and it's my first), I'm quite happy.

To me it seems that 207 is merely a firmware upgrade from 027.

This listing was earlier 027, now seller has updated it to "upgrade version" listing:

DVR027 Upgrade Version

I ordered just a day before he updated the listing, so I am not sure what am I going to get :?

leo, seeing that there are no model numbers on the cams, judging by the menu in the photo, it's similar to the DVR207 with the "1080" option and the icons on the left of the menu screen.

According to DashCamMan,iirc, the improved model has a better processor (COACH 12?)

If there is ever a firmware upgrade available, how would we get it? From the eBay/Aliexpress vendors? The Mayor of Shenzhen? Who??

RSole said:
If there is ever a firmware upgrade available, how would we get it? From the eBay/Aliexpress vendors? The Mayor of Shenzhen? Who??

99% of these sellers have no ability to offer firmware updates, better to purchase based on what they offer at time of purchase as updates may never happen

As per upgraded version available on Aliexpress, the version is V 1207310.

Those who have recd 207, can please post the version of their device?

leo said:
As per upgraded version available on Aliexpress, the version is V 1207310.

Those who have recd 207, can please post the version of their device?
I just received the 207 model and it does indeed use that version

Back